PDA

View Full Version : Whose YOUR Pet Team?

OX09
01-30-2008, 12:32 AM
Of course we are all ardent fans of the Xaver basketball program. But I'm sure we all have "pet" teams. Teams that we may not necessarilly follow, but we hope they perform well. So, what is your pet team?

For example, I always hope Creighton plays well because I lived in Omaha.

Note: You cannot choose a pet team solely because their success creates or reflects success for Xavier. There must be an external motive. Coaches, particular players, or former residence near the school are some of the acceptable reasons for a pet.

BBC 08
01-30-2008, 12:36 AM
Louisville Cardinals, mainly because I am from the great city of Louisville.

If I had to go outside of my place of residence, I'd go with the Illini, because it is my dad's alma mater and I hear a lot about them from him and his family.

D-West & PO-Z
01-30-2008, 01:06 AM
SLU, I go to school there.

Kansas Jayhawks. I always wanted Roy to win one their, and I have always liked their players. I have always kind of wanted them to do well.

Georgetown, My man Ewing's alma mater, and I remember meeting John Thompson when I was a little kid at the final four in St. Petersburgh, I think I was about 10? 11? I wanted Georgetown to win it all last year.

waggy
01-30-2008, 01:21 AM
I guess Butler, but I don't follow them very close. I wouldn't mind them in conference with X again someday.

X-band '01
01-30-2008, 05:58 AM
All the Chia Pets I find over the holidays.

BlueGuy
01-30-2008, 06:14 AM
I'm from the Cuse, and a big fan of the Cuse.

Cheesehead
01-30-2008, 06:51 AM
Marquette. Grew up in Milwaukee, my fther was a Prof there and my folks had season tickets for over 20 years.

I wish X and Marquette could get that series going again.

XUglow
01-30-2008, 06:51 AM
Outside of Xavier, I am not really passionate about other teams, but I follow Mississippi State. Miss Muskie follows Ole Miss, btw. I live less than 1 hour from both campuses, so it is easy to get to the games when I can score some tickets. Both teams are ranked so it is a bit of fun. Miss Muskie did stew a bit over the 20-point beat down the Bullies gave her Rebs last week, but she was over it quickly when she knew I cared more about the UMass game than the UMiss game.

The Artist
01-30-2008, 07:00 AM
St Johns, unfortunately, grew up near NYC and rooted for them in the days of Artest, Bootsey Thorton, etc.

ATL Muskie
01-30-2008, 07:17 AM
I don't really follow anyone other than X. I'm a UGA fan, but as far as hoops go I have no interest in SEC basketball. I'm in Athens twice a week and rarely if ever do I stop in to catch a game if there's one going on. If it's not X, it's not on my radar as far as college basketball goes.

Lamont Sanford
01-30-2008, 07:30 AM
I've always been a UNC fan ever since touring the campus while on Spring Break with my family in the Carolina's as a kid. Got a chance to see the Dean Dome while we were there too. I remember being jacked up when they signed JR Reid back in the day. I still follow them today, but they are a far, far second to my beloved Musketeers.

Kahns Krazy
01-30-2008, 09:32 AM
Miami, Northwestern and Holy Cross. Family Alma Maters.

BiggieXU
01-30-2008, 10:22 AM
Used to be tOSU, being from the C-Bus and all, until Thad and the NCAA tourney happened.

Now I go to grad school at Vandy so I hope they do well, i.e. don't pull a Clemson from last year this year...

msj61
01-30-2008, 11:51 AM
I root for the team who is playing against UC....unless that team is Dayton. Even though Huggins is gone, UC fans are still pricks and I wish nothing but the worst for them.

Lamont Sanford
01-30-2008, 11:57 AM
I root for the team who is playing against UC....unless that team is Dayton. Even though Huggins is gone, UC fans are still pricks and I wish nothing but the worst for them.

msj -

I like the way you think.

Keep up the good work!

American X
01-30-2008, 12:10 PM
I keep my eye on Saint Joseph's. Over the years, I have grown to appreciate Martelli and their program. Year in and year out, XU-SJU are the best games the A-10 has to offer. Very similar schools with fortunes tied together. They are our best rival in my opinion.

Texas A&M - grad school. It's been fun the past few years explaining the basics of roundball to my fellow Aggies.

ATL Muskie
01-30-2008, 12:15 PM
I keep my eye on Saint Joseph's. Over the years, I have grown to appreciate Martelli and their program. Year in and year out, XU-SJU are the best games the A-10 has to offer. Very similar schools with fortunes tied together. They are our best rival in my opinion.

Texas A&M - grad school. It's been fun the past few years explaining the basics of roundball to my fellow Aggies.

Good call. I like SJU as well and I appreciate the rivalry. I usually watch their OOC situation closely.

Pablo
01-30-2008, 02:23 PM
get ready for a fourteen page annotated response by Filthy Chilean

Stonebreaker
01-30-2008, 02:33 PM
SLU, I go to school there.

Kansas Jayhawks. I always wanted Roy to win one their, and I have always liked their players. I have always kind of wanted them to do well.

Georgetown, My man Ewing's alma mater, and I remember meeting John Thompson when I was a little kid at the final four in St. Petersburgh, I think I was about 10? 11? I wanted Georgetown to win it all last year.

I was a big fan of St. Johns back then. Chris Mullin, Willie Glass, Shelton Jones, Bill Wennington, Walter Berry, Mark Jackson........Damn.

StanleyOwnsYou
01-30-2008, 02:59 PM
I'm from the Cuse, and a big fan of the Cuse.

Always have been a fan of Jimmy B and Syracuse. Got a chance to go to a game at the Dome and it was unbelievable.

spongebob
01-30-2008, 03:45 PM
Michigan State. Back in the day, lived up Detroit area. Couldn't stand the arrogance of the Michigan folks, especially on the football side. No disrespect intended to the esteemed XU Michiganites. Couldn't help but love the game of Scott Skiles.

XUOHTX
01-31-2008, 09:53 AM
Baylor because my GF went there. Worst place in the world to spend any time but I always pull for them in the Big 12 and now look, they are ranked...

blobfan
01-31-2008, 11:14 AM
There's basketball outside of Xavier?

I guess my pet team is the Bengals. I like to see them win. I like some of the players (yes, I'm one of those that thinks Chad is amusing). But I'm not vested in them because I have such deep loathing for management. I guess if the Bengals are a pet, it's a dog I got from the pound. I like them when they are nice but ignore them when they are bad and blame it on the original owner.

Billy
01-31-2008, 02:10 PM
Heels baby!

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en-commons/thumb/0/0e/185px-Michael_Jordan_UNC_Jersey_cropped.jpg

Also, I've sort of taken a liking to Washington State's team because I like Tony Bennett...and their players all look like stoners.

PM Thor
01-31-2008, 04:44 PM
I guess Miami and Butler. I like to see them win, but I don't really follow them much.

Marymount in DIII. But that's because I coach them in a fantasy league thing.

It's weird, I don't really follow any other team outside of Xavier very closely at all.

Fred Garvin
01-31-2008, 06:29 PM
Also, I've sort of taken a liking to Washington State's team because I like Tony Bennett...and their players all look like stoners.[/QUOTE]

For the same reason I like Heytvelt and the Gonzaga Mushrooms.

joebba
01-31-2008, 06:35 PM
The Bengals. Bengals make pretty good pets. Yeah right!