PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Football Banquet Review

nickgyp
12-07-2009, 08:55 PM
Last night, the Xavier Club Team held its banquet on campus in the Conaton Board Room located in Schmidt Hall. Players, coaches, parents and fans mingled in the school's former library before dining on Montgomery Inn barbeque, salad and desert.

Coach Powers welcomed those in attendance and he was most appreciative of the efforts and presence of current Xavier trustee and former Musketeer football player, Mike Conaton. Mr. Conaton has been a long time supporter of Xavier football and, in particular, the club team. It was Mr. Conaton who was able to secure the location of the football banquet held for the first time on campus.

Coach Powers also singled out the Honorable Sylvia S. Hendon (of the Hamilton County First District Court of Appeals) who not only has a grandson, Jon Deters, who plays wide receiver for the team but she also serves on Xavier's current Board of Trustees. Judge Hendon and daughter, Missy Deters (Jon's mother) were both instrumental in organizing the evening's festivities.

While coach Powers noted that the team's 5-4 final record did not reflect the high goals the team had set pre-season, he was quick to note that despite the injuries that had hit the team rather hard, the Muskie gridders fought even harder in each game. The team was not that far removed from a 7-2 record but for a play here and there.

Coach Powers was equally proud of his coaching staff: Defensive Coordinator/Asst. Head Coach Jim Carty; Special teams/Defensive Backs coach Mike Workman; Defensive line coach Walter Voline; Defensive Backs coach Todd Smith. Defensive Backs coach Tim Fagel and Offensive Line coach Aaron Szabo. He cited their dedication to the team and their ability to motivate the players to play their best and work as a unit.

Coach Powers expressed his appreciation for the support received from the Club Sports Deepartemnt and staff as well thanking Angela Gazzero for serving as Game Day Operations Manager and team managers Adam Cokonaugher and Andy Donley.

A special thanks went out to the Xavier Dance Team which was in attendance at the banquet. The members of the team were in attendance at home games providing dance routines as well serving as cheerleaders for the gridders.

Each coach was called upon to identify and say a few words about each of the players that he coached; and to a player, the coaches were all appreciative of the efforts demonstrated at practice and during the games especailly as the season wore on and injuries mounted.

Particularly noteworthy was Coach Clardy's praise of his defensive charges in the Notre Dame loss where, in spite of the Eagles potent offense, the players never quit and gave 100% even to the very end of the game.

Coach Powers in reviewing the 2009 season did note some significant stats in the context of Xavier football records. Quarterback Chris Greenwood's career passing TD total tied him with Xavier great Carroll Williams for first place and his passing yardage placed him 3rd in the all-time list. WR Jon Deters 3 TD receptions against Hanover tied a Xavier record and his total receptions and yardage for the year exceeeded (Xavier great) Dan Abram-owicz' record from the 1960's. Jon and cousin WR Danny Deters both had single game receiving yardage records that passed Bob Pickard's record from the 1970's.

Kick returner, Brandon Tucker's 8 returns in the Notre Dame game set a Xavier record (although coach Powers stated that on a dubious note this meant the opponent was scoring too often). Punt returner, Eric Miles set a Xavier yardage record witha 91 yard punt return for a touchdown against Ohio State in October.

In perhaps the most poignant part of the evening coach Powers singled out those seniors who had played their last game for Xavier: Seniors/grad students Jim Castrigano (RB), Brett Hoyer (LB), Greg Morgan (LB), Kevin Tierney (LB), Eric Anderson (LB) Jon Bokar (DL), Dom Rucella (DL), Tim Fagel (DB/coach) and QB Chris Greenwood.

A special thanks went out to the seniors who have four years' experience with the team since its inception in 2006: Morgan, Tierney, Bokar, Rucella and Fagel. In that time, the Muskie gridders have a 16-10 overall record as well as back-to-back Midwestern College Club Football titles in 2007 and 2008.

While Coach Powers and staff acknowledged the contribution of these veteran players, he was eager to point out that 2010 sees a number of returning players whose experience and leadership will be needed to recapture the league crown.

While great optimism for 2010 exists, one huge hole in the coaching staff will have to be addressed. After two years of countless hours devoted to Xavier's team, Coach Jim Clardy will not be returning next fall. Work schedule and other time committments prevent him from continuing in his capacity as an assistant coach.

Coach Powers readily admitted the difficulty of filling coach Clardy's shoes . He identified coach Clardy as the one person he had full confidence in handling the Muskie team in his (Powers) absence should that have ever occurred.

(As a personal aside, I got to know coach Clardy by watching him at practices and speaking to him. He is a respectful and polite young man; his dedication and knowledge of football is only exceeded by his enthusiasm for the game and his love of his players. I am sure that if he pursues coaching down the road, his future is very bright.)

I will close on one humorous note from a conversation I had with Mr. Conaton about the board room. I had stated that in my undergraduate and graduate years at Xavier I never knew that the campus had such a beautiful room on campus. (The elegant hall room was also decorated with Christmas wreaths and trees so the setting was perfect.)

But as Mr. Conaton also pointed out neither did some of his con-temporaries from the 50's who on a return visit during later years also marveled at the room's spendor as they wondered aloud what purpose the room had previously served.

Mr. Conaton told me that these classmates were amazed to learn that during those days the room served as the school's library. He quipped that perhaps Xavier might want their diplomas back given that revelation.

Thanks to all for a great evening and a great season!!!!