PDA

View Full Version : Big 12 FB Championship

waggy
12-05-2009, 07:23 PM
Anyone else watching this?

Hilarious sequence with the spotting of the ball...

I do believe they were correct in giving Nebraska the 1st down though.

Fred Garvin
12-05-2009, 07:26 PM
who is going out to Pasadena to see the Cats play for all the marbles? What a feather in this city's cap. And to think that it came at the expense of Pittsburgh makes it all the sweeter.

BandAid
12-05-2009, 07:51 PM
If you put Nebraska's defense with even a mediocre offense you have a national title contender. Texas should only need 2 and a half good drives to win this game.

Snipe
12-05-2009, 08:02 PM
Nebraska's D does look tough.

waggy
12-05-2009, 08:05 PM
I hope I get to see a game in the new Cowboy stadium some day. That place looks unreal.

jdm2000
12-05-2009, 08:10 PM
I hope I get to see a game in the new Cowboy stadium some day. That place looks unreal.

I worry I would watch the big screen instead of the action on the field.

PM Thor
12-05-2009, 08:44 PM
who is going out to Pasadena to see the Cats play for all the marbles? What a feather in this city's cap. And to think that it came at the expense of Pittsburgh makes it all the sweeter.

Uh Oh Fred, Xavier plays at 7 the very same night of the title game. If UC gets their shot, will you choose UC football over Xavier basketball? Decisions, decisions...

And yes, I took great pleasure in seeing more Pittsburgh fans get beaten by a team from Cincy, even if it was UC. I can't help it, but watching Pittsburgh fans after they lose (and lose so epically like they did today) gratifies me to no end.

I HATE dayton.

XU05and07
12-05-2009, 09:28 PM
Colt is having a crappy game...Teblow had a bad game...Ingram had a bad game 2 games ago...

Toby Gerhart for Heisman

GoMuskies
12-05-2009, 09:33 PM
Nebraska is boring to watch.

If their defense scores, though, I think TCU beats out UC for the national title appearance.

Espe
12-05-2009, 09:35 PM
watching this game is giving me eye cancer. suh is a beast though.

GoMuskies
12-05-2009, 09:56 PM
This is Nebraska's shot. No TD for Nebraska here, no win.

jdm2000
12-05-2009, 10:02 PM
I think UC is going to pass TCU in the computers.

But it's not going to matter, because Nebraska isn't going to come up with another point--unless the defense can score. Hmmm....I guess that's possible.

Suh is a man among boys out there.

waggy
12-05-2009, 10:03 PM
I think Nebraska's gonna win this thing anyway.

The refs gave Texas 3 points on that bogus pass interference call. But the Huskers can't be stopped.

I want BCS chaos!

boozehound
12-05-2009, 10:08 PM
The majority of this game has been skull-crushingly boring.

jdm2000
12-05-2009, 10:09 PM
Colt McCoy is going to be having nightmares about Suh for months...

SixFig
12-05-2009, 10:11 PM
You know what's not skull-crushingly boring: Big 12 cheerleader championship. May the hottest...err...best team win.

http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/UT-Cheerleaders-2006-university-of-texas-726810_700_465.jpg

http://www.cornnation.com/images/admin/nucheer.jpg

GoMuskies
12-05-2009, 10:12 PM
I think Nebraska's last shot was that near safety. Now that Texas has moved into Nebraska territory, I can't see the Huskers moving the ball back downfield.

waggy
12-05-2009, 10:14 PM
That Nebraska defense is bad assed!

GoMuskies
12-05-2009, 10:15 PM
Okay, this is getting interesting. TCU and Cincy fans getting excited.

Could the Clemson/GaTech game be the tiebreaker between UC and TCU?

GoMuskies
12-05-2009, 10:16 PM
Okay, run out the clock and kick the FG!

GoMuskies
12-05-2009, 10:22 PM
Ho-lee sheet!

waggy
12-05-2009, 10:24 PM
WTF? Why doesn't the good kicker have kickoff duties?

GoMuskies
12-05-2009, 10:24 PM
That was a serious momentum swing.

GoMuskies
12-05-2009, 10:26 PM
Game over?!? Even if not, totally idiotic.

jdm2000
12-05-2009, 10:28 PM
Yeah, Mack almost just made the biggest clock management mistake in college football history.

SixFig
12-05-2009, 10:28 PM
Oh God here we go. 1 missed FG and the BCS as we know it will implode!

Awesome!

jdm2000
12-05-2009, 10:29 PM
We are possibly a missed FG away from UC playing for a national championship. Incomprehensible.

GoMuskies
12-05-2009, 10:30 PM
F&&"ck

SixFig
12-05-2009, 10:31 PM
On some level I am happy that UC will have no chance for a title.

But I also want to see the BCS die.

waggy
12-05-2009, 10:31 PM
In hindsight I don't think NE should have called time to ice the kicker. NE really blew the end of that game in so many ways.

Espe
12-05-2009, 10:35 PM
Alabama will wipe the floor with Texas

GoMuskies
12-05-2009, 10:36 PM
And Florida will impale Cincinnati. I bet TCU smashes their BCS opponent, though.

An X Fan
12-05-2009, 10:37 PM
So that Texas win is supposed to give the BC$ a sigh of relief?

GuyFawkes38
12-05-2009, 10:38 PM
I'm genuinely disappointed that Texas won and UC won't get a chance to play in the championship game. wow, I can't believe I said that.

It's this time, every year, that college football begins to annually disappoint its fans. The lack of a playoff brings incredible excitement during the season, but it all seems to fizzle out when it's December.

BandAid
12-05-2009, 10:43 PM
If you put Nebraska's defense with even a mediocre offense you have a national title contender. Texas should only need 2 and a half good drives to win this game.

I was wrong. Texas needed one drive, and a couple of half drives created by penalties.

UC vs the BCS...which do I hate more?

xubrew
12-05-2009, 10:47 PM
fuck college football. really, FUCK IT!!

uc, boise state, and tcu are not in the title game because of a presumption. not one of those three teams ever had control of their own destiny. back in july, it was presumed they weren't good enough. that's why they're not in it.

i'm not saying they are good enough. i'm saying they have the right to control their own destiny. they have the right to stay alive until eliminated on the field. they never got that chance. they were eliminated because of a presumption in july. that's COMPLETE bullshit.

radford's basketball team probably won't contend for the title. at least they had a chance, though. they got to play north carolina in the ncaa tournament last year. their disqualification wasn't presumed. it happened on the court. cincinnati, boise state, and tcu's football teams are much better than radford's basketball team, but they don't get a chance.

i'm not saying those teams should be in the title game. i'm saying they deserve a chance to control their own destiny. the FCS quarterfinals were today, and the games for the most part were exciting. earlier this year, william & mary had a crucial loss during the season against richmond that probably cost them the chance to host a quarterfinal game. today, though, they beat southern illinois, and have advanced to the semifinals. they deserve it. they are good enough to contend for the title and they control their own destiny. they may win the title. however, if this were the FBS, they would have been elimianted before the season even started.

fuck it. really, fuck it. if you take into acount all the ncaa sports at all three divisions, there are 88. 87 of those 88 allow for a playoff where all conference champions have the ability to be represented one way or another. that means that in 87 of the 88 leagues, everyone begins the seson controlling their own destiny. they will not be eliminated because of a presumption. the only sport that doesn't do it that way is fbs football. funny. they constantly talk of tradition. maybe i'm crazy, but if you look at the ncaa in its entirety, not having a playoff and allowing teams to be eliminated based on a preseason presumption is NOT traditional.

uc probably isn't the best team. tcu and boise probably aren't either, but they deserve the right to control their own destiny. butler may bitch about their seed in the ncaa basketball tournament, but at least they get to play. boise, uc and tcu don't. if college basketball were structured the same way college football was, xavier would not be what they are. it would have been presumed each and every year before the season began that they weren't good enough.

Espe
12-05-2009, 10:50 PM
Ndamukong Suh should win the heisman; he's the best player in the country

GuyFawkes38
12-05-2009, 10:55 PM
I think a playoff would be fun and better than the situation now.

But what I really want is a pre-BCS college football world. Does anyone else remember those great New Years Days when they played nearly all the bowl games at once and multiple games affected that national title picture.

those were the days. Get rid of the BCS and don't replace it.

jdm2000
12-05-2009, 11:03 PM

Seconded.

pizza delivery
12-05-2009, 11:04 PM
fuck college football. really, FUCK IT!!

uc, boise state, and tcu are not in the title game because of a presumption. not one of those three teams ever had control of their own destiny. back in july, it was presumed they weren't good enough. that's why they're not in it.

i'm not saying they are good enough. i'm saying they have the right to control their own destiny. they have the right to stay alive until eliminated on the field. they never got that chance. they were eliminated because of a presumption in july. that's COMPLETE bullshit.

radford's basketball team probably won't contend for the title. at least they had a chance, though. they got to play north carolina in the ncaa tournament last year. their disqualification wasn't presumed. it happened on the court. cincinnati, boise state, and tcu's football teams are much better than radford's basketball team, but they don't get a chance.

i'm not saying those teams should be in the title game. i'm saying they deserve a chance to control their own destiny. the FCS quarterfinals were today, and the games for the most part were exciting. earlier this year, william & mary had a crucial loss during the season against richmond that probably cost them the chance to host a quarterfinal game. today, though, they beat southern illinois, and have advanced to the semifinals. they deserve it. they are good enough to contend for the title and they control their own destiny. they may win the title. however, if this were the FBS, they would have been elimianted before the season even started.

fuck it. really, fuck it. if you take into acount all the ncaa sports at all three divisions, there are 88. 87 of those 88 allow for a playoff where all conference champions have the ability to be represented one way or another. that means that in 87 of the 88 leagues, everyone begins the seson controlling their own destiny. they will not be eliminated because of a presumption. the only sport that doesn't do it that way is fbs football. funny. they constantly talk of tradition. maybe i'm crazy, but if you look at the ncaa in its entirety, not having a playoff and allowing teams to be eliminated based on a preseason presumption is NOT traditional.

uc probably isn't the best team. tcu and boise probably aren't either, but they deserve the right to control their own destiny. butler may bitch about their seed in the ncaa basketball tournament, but at least they get to play. boise, uc and tcu don't. if college basketball were structured the same way college football was, xavier would not be what they are. it would have been presumed each and every year before the season began that they weren't good enough.

Quoted for truth. I have almost no appetite for CFB for this very reason. How many ways does this system have to prove it sucks? This year 4 teams emerge undefeated!

GuyFawkes38
12-05-2009, 11:05 PM
UC's situation this year officially makes me sick of the BCS. I really thought I would relish this moment. But I don't. Maybe it's just being so close to a large dissapointed fanbase who supported a team that did everything they could to be the champs. But because Texas has "tradition" and a larger fanbase, they don't get a chance.

It's a pitiful situation.

pizza delivery
12-05-2009, 11:10 PM
that said, all they need is a 4 team playoff. 8 teams is too many games. rotate the big 5 or 6 bowls through the opportunity to host the 3 big games. Still have the other cheesy-assed games where nobody watches. what's the problem????

GuyFawkes38
12-05-2009, 11:14 PM
that said, all they need is a 4 team playoff. 8 teams is too many games. rotate the big 5 or 6 bowls through the opportunity to host the 3 big games. Still have the other cheesy-assed games where nobody watches. what's the problem????

I'd imagine that a 4 game playoff is inevitable. But college football must have the most conservative governing forces in sports. My guess is that a 4 game playoff will happen in 30-50 years.

Husketeer
12-05-2009, 11:18 PM

Thirded. I'm a little biased as a born and bred Nebraska fan who happend his way to Xavier, but Suh has dominated every game this year. He was so good that our other DT managed to set the record for sacks in a game as Baylor continually double teamed Suh. Led DTs in the country in tackles, sacks, and passes defended.

GuyFawkes38
12-05-2009, 11:19 PM
So if UC would have appeared in the championship game, would that have guaranteed Brian Kelly turning down the ND job? maybe. wow. a great day for UC football turns into an awful night.

Snipe
12-05-2009, 11:37 PM

Seconded.

That kid is a stud.

Wow. What an emotional game. UC was 1 second away from playing in a national championship game. You can say the same for TCU of course, but none of us will ever know. It killed me.

And if UC was playing for the national title, I bet they would have kept Kelly. Who knows now, but damn did I want BCS chaos.

I have been a UC football fan since I was a kid, before I ever heard of Xavier. To think that UC could have played in the Championship game. They had to put a second back on the clock just to win it. Damn! Are you kidding me? What an emotional night.

What a great year for UC Football, and what a great game today. They are not the best team in the nation, but if you put them against Alabama role the dice and give me the "any given day"

I guess we get to find out when and if they play Florida. Is Kelly good enough to put up 35 against Florida? Can UC score points against them? I think Florida is awesome in college football terms.

UC wins by scoring more points than their opponents. They scored 45 today in a cold wet and snowy day in Pittsburgh against a pretty good team with a solid defense. If they play Florida I think they will probably lose. Florida is tough. But will it be a game? Will Brian Kelly be able to put up 28-35 points? I don't know, but I would like to see what happens.

That Texas game really kicked me in the groin. UC had a legit chance for the title. They might not have made it, but they were in the running. What an incredible year, and what an incredible game for the Big East Title. I think Brian Kelly is a genius and I would like him to coach the Bengals. Brian Kelly is fucking cool.

Fred Garvin
12-05-2009, 11:47 PM
"I think Florida is awesome in college football terms."

I'm trying to wrap my mind around the intent of this comment. Is he saying Florida drivers are inferior to the nation as a whole? That Palm Beach has a compromised voting system?
Is he saying Florida sucks because they produced Chad Johnson? Is he saying Florida pre-air conditioning might as well be Norwood?

Also, how is it Charlie Crist lives in Florida but looks like he uses a tanning bed?

BandAid
12-06-2009, 12:01 AM

Sadly, he might not even be invited to New York. Ingram, Gerhart, and Suh should be the top 3 finalists with Suh winning. It'll probably be Ingram, Tebow, McCoy with Ingram winning.

gladdenguy
12-06-2009, 12:08 AM
UC's situation this year officially makes me sick of the BCS. I really thought I would relish this moment. But I don't. Maybe it's just being so close to a large dissapointed fanbase who supported a team that did everything they could to be the champs. But because Texas has "tradition" and a larger fanbase, they don't get a chance.

It's a pitiful situation.

Give me a break....UC of all teams does not deserve a chance. Their defense sucks....they have given up 30 plus to Illinois, 40 plus to UConn, and 40 plus to Pitt.
Texas is better than UC as is TCU, therefore, they will not be playing for a national title. And Florida will beat their ass and their coach is leaving. HAHHAHAHAHAHA

xubrew
12-06-2009, 12:41 AM
nm

GuyFawkes38
12-06-2009, 12:55 AM
Give me a break....UC of all teams does not deserve a chance. Their defense sucks....they have given up 30 plus to Illinois, 40 plus to UConn, and 40 plus to Pitt.
Texas is better than UC as is TCU, therefore, they will not be playing for a national title. And Florida will beat their ass and their coach is leaving. HAHHAHAHAHAHA

Even if you take away my sudden empathy for UC fans, it still feels unsatisfying. And the end of every college football season feels unsatisfying.

I think it's starting to get a little old to see the same 8 teams in the BCS mix every year. It all feels very blah.

D-West & PO-Z
12-06-2009, 01:41 AM

Florida is going to CRUSH them. It will be great. UC cant play defense and they cant run the ball. It would have been the joke of all jokes for them to be in the national championship.

X-band '01
12-06-2009, 07:01 AM
The minute that proponents of a playoff can prove that they will generate more money than the BCS can will be the minute that the I-A teams go to a playoff. And don't use the "academics" card either - if players from Richmond, Appalachian State, Grand Valley State, and Mount Union can juggle final exams around playoff games, so can guys from the big boys.

And as far as computer rankings go, UC was actually AHEAD of Texas and TCU going into this week. Texas was ahead of UC and TCU in the polls (Harris, USA Today) and will remain such going into tonight. The BCS is only designed to match up #1 against #2.

This is how the big bowls will probably play out:

BCS Championship - Alabama (SEC Champ) v. Texas (Big 12 Champ)
Rose Bowl - Ohio State (Big 10 Champ) v. Oregon (Pac 10 Champ)
Sugar Bowl - Florida v. UC (Big East Champ)
Orange Bowl - Georgia Tech (ACC Champ) v. TCU
Fiesta Bowl - Boise State vs. Iowa

Nigel Tufnel
12-06-2009, 09:20 AM
Look alike time....can someone please give me some Bo Pelini and Peter Stormare? Has anyone seen those two guys in the same room at the same time? If I knew how to post pictures, I'd do it. Stormare was the crazy dude in Fargo. He was also on the Seinfeld Frogger episode...

anyone? anyone?

XUglow
12-06-2009, 09:24 AM
http://images.starpulse.com/pictures/2007/10/23/previews/Peter%20Stormare-CSH-031723.jpghttp://cache.deadspin.com/assets/resources/2008/01/gopelini.jpg

Nigel Tufnel
12-06-2009, 10:08 AM
Well done...I can barely tell which is which...

xubrew
12-06-2009, 11:54 AM

that may be possible if it is the bcs that institutes a playoff, but most likely any real change would be instituted by the ncaa, not the bcs.

any ncaa playoff would have to include all 11 conference champions each and every year. the reason for that is because over 75 percent of the member institutions would have to approve the idea. when it comes to votes, louisiana monroe's one vote counts just as much as texas's. the sunbelt, wac, mac, cusa and mwc won't vote for a playoff format that they can't even be a part of.

i believe 16 is the ideal number. that number works great for fcs and div2. it doesn't cheapen the regular season. it would actually create for more meaningful games during the regular season. games that are pretty much meaningless now would suddenly become very high stakes with at-large playoff spots on the line, or with conference champions on the line it would allow for all 11 conference champions to participate, and could be completed by the first weekend of january.

X-band '01
12-06-2009, 12:50 PM
Come on now Glow, show some respect for Mark Pelini.

X-band '01
12-06-2009, 12:54 PM
that may be possible if it is the bcs that institutes a playoff, but most likely any real change would be instituted by the ncaa, not the bcs.

any ncaa playoff would have to include all 11 conference champions each and every year. the reason for that is because over 75 percent of the member institutions would have to approve the idea. when it comes to votes, louisiana monroe's one vote counts just as much as texas's. the sunbelt, wac, mac, cusa and mwc won't vote for a playoff format that they can't even be a part of.

i believe 16 is the ideal number. that number works great for fcs and div2. it doesn't cheapen the regular season. it would actually create for more meaningful games during the regular season. games that are pretty much meaningless now would suddenly become very high stakes with at-large playoff spots on the line, or with conference champions on the line it would allow for all 11 conference champions to participate, and could be completed by the first weekend of january.

I would agree if that's consistent with how the playoffs for I-AA (and spare me this FCS garbage), II, and III are handled.

But think of the drama that you could have with a play-in game (MAC v. Sun Belt?) - what one city not named Dayton would love to have such a play-in game played each year before the main playoff?