PDA

View Full Version : Fair game?

Fred Garvin
01-29-2008, 02:14 AM
Our dear Waggy informs me I'm wrong about Stan Burrell. The reason? The reason is my opinion is unpopular!

Poor Waggy thinks the best film of the year is the one that sells the most tickets. Thank God I've been alerted to the intrinsic worth of the herd mentality.

PM Thor
01-29-2008, 02:21 AM
Fred, relax. Take a deep breath. I for one don't want to see you go away. You aren't making it easy.

Can you admit that people can disagree on the history of Burrell? So, if you can, which I think you must admit, then why be antagonistic about it? Come on already.

Lasser83
01-29-2008, 03:29 AM
I agree with PM Thor.

And no one is asking you to completely shield your feelings towards Burrell.

But to title a topic named "Burrell is Selfish" and to further a mean spirited argument.....

I'm a college basketball board junkie....and I can honestly say that I've never seen such a bitter post.

Lloyd Christmas
01-29-2008, 07:53 AM
I don't understand what Fred has against Burrell? Has he personally harmed you in anyway?

Muskie
01-29-2008, 09:50 AM
Our dear Waggy informs me I'm wrong about Stan Burrell. The reason? The reason is my opinion is unpopular!

Poor Waggy thinks the best film of the year is the one that sells the most tickets. Thank God I've been alerted to the intrinsic worth of the herd mentality.

Yup... i get it... you didn't like the old Burrell. We all remember him. He was the guy that would take ANY shot. Including those where he had defenders hanging off of him. They were horrible shots. However, I'm big enough to admit that Stan's game has come along way since then. He's a more complete player. He's not my favorite muskie, but i respect the fact that he's focused on making his game complete.

ATL Muskie
01-29-2008, 09:59 AM
Hammer is not one of my favorite players, but I certainly appreciate the fact that he has accepted his position on the team as a leader and as a defensive stopper. That's the true mark of an unselfish, "team" player. We're the only team in the country with an assload of players scoring in double figures. Yeah I'd like to see Stan take more open shots, but I wouldn't trade his D for anything. He takes his defense personally and I can appreciate that.

BBC 08
01-29-2008, 11:54 AM
Hey Fred, hopefully this quote from Stan will help you atleast respect him:

"I used to hurt my team the way I played. I'd score 20, but I'd give up 17 or 18 and turn the ball over four times. Not anymore." -- Xavier senior guard Stanley Burrell, about his growth into a defensive stopper

Found it here: http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/teams/report/XAVIER/10604286

waggy
01-29-2008, 02:56 PM
Didn't see this thread before responding to your PM Fred. It doesn't change my sentiments there, which are as basically as follows...

You make a good point with regard to popularity doesn't necessarily, nor should it, determine ones convictions.

I think the mods are in agreement that thread titles were not what this board hopes to strives for, and that we all hope to be consistent.

My post in your 2nd thread was not meant to bait you, and then turn off the switch. I didn't know that Thor was going to lock it.

That is all.

Kahns Krazy
01-29-2008, 05:05 PM
I can't find the thread in question. I hope this isn't going to become one of those "over-moderated" boards. There is a thread about UMass and premature ejaculation that is still on the board.

I strongly urge the admins and moderators to establish posting, and more importantly deleting guidelines early. I've noticed there seem to be a lot of admins and moderators on these boards already. If you're going to have a healthy discussion, you can't have one moderator continuing a discussion and another locking/deleting it.

People should be allowed to have unpopular opinions. Unpopular opinions should not be a reason for deleting posts.

Excuse me while I get off this soapbox.

xeus
01-29-2008, 05:23 PM
People should be allowed to have unpopular opinions. Unpopular opinions should not be a reason for deleting posts.

Unpopular opinions are welcome. (In fact, I keep hoping Pierre Dracot will show up soon.)

ad hominem attacks on players and coaches are not welcome.

Stonebreaker
01-29-2008, 05:41 PM
I can't find the thread in question. I hope this isn't going to become one of those "over-moderated" boards. There is a thread about UMass and premature ejaculation that is still on the board.

I strongly urge the admins and moderators to establish posting, and more importantly deleting guidelines early. I've noticed there seem to be a lot of admins and moderators on these boards already. If you're going to have a healthy discussion, you can't have one moderator continuing a discussion and another locking/deleting it.

Excuse me while I get off this soapbox.

Good points. I think this group is fine, it's just that working as a team takes time. I think 1-3 months from now this will be an afterthought.

PM Thor
01-29-2008, 05:44 PM
Plus, you have to know KK, that some mods are only mods in certain forums. I only moderate a few forums, not all. This is true of some of the other moderators too. I like it that way, because it will keep us from stepping on each others toes constantly.

Like Stoney said, just give us some time to get used to this stuff.

Muskie
01-29-2008, 06:31 PM
It's a growing experience guys. Svo, Stoney, and myself know each other's styles pretty well. Whereas PM and Waggy and the others have their own style of moderation. We're trying to mesh those together. We'll always try to be fair.

Kahns Krazy
01-30-2008, 09:38 AM
Plus, you have to know KK, that some mods are only mods in certain forums. I only moderate a few forums, not all. This is true of some of the other moderators too. I like it that way, because it will keep us from stepping on each others toes constantly.

Like Stoney said, just give us some time to get used to this stuff.

Thor, if you are interested in any constructive criticism from an old mod, IMHO you're 'doing' too much. Threads really only need to be moved if they are really distracting to the forum. The occasional off topic thread in a forum isn't a problem. A bunch of "moved- ..." threads are distracting, and if people think that you're flexing your mod powers, they may come to resent you.

Again, just my opinion, but I may be one of the few that ever got paid to mod, so I have been there before. At one point, I even had mod status over the UC board, and as far as I know, never recieved a single complaint.

Kahns Krazy
01-30-2008, 09:41 AM
It's a growing experience guys. Svo, Stoney, and myself know each other's styles pretty well. Whereas PM and Waggy and the others have their own style of moderation. We're trying to mesh those together. We'll always try to be fair.

Again, these are just my opinions and it's not my board, but having moderators with "different styles" is a significant issue on a message board like this. It might be a reasonable idea during the break in period to have the new guys check with the 'senior' staff before they do anything. One of the frustrations that drove people away from the other board was the inconsistancy of the moderation.

Smails
01-30-2008, 09:45 AM
FWIW Stanley was invited to the NBA pre-draft camp in Portsmouth last night.....

Fred Garvin
01-31-2008, 08:31 PM
Unpopular opinions are welcome. (In fact, I keep hoping Pierre Dracot will show up soon.)

ad hominem attacks on players and coaches are not welcome.

You mean like your ad hominem attacks. Aren't you the one who accused me of having a "strange and unrelenting obsession"? Get over yourself.

Muskie
01-31-2008, 08:37 PM
You mean like your ad hominem attacks. Aren't you the one who accused me of having a "strange and unrelenting obsession"? Get over yourself.

Couldn't let it go huh?

Snipe
02-01-2008, 01:43 AM
Again, these are just my opinions and it's not my board, but having moderators with "different styles" is a significant issue on a message board like this. It might be a reasonable idea during the break in period to have the new guys check with the 'senior' staff before they do anything. One of the frustrations that drove people away from the other board was the inconsistancy of the moderation.

I like the locked thread function. It stops the bleeding but still allows everyone to see what the rukus was about. And once a thread is locked is fades away off the main board pretty quickly as new posts come about. With locked threads KK could have seen why action was taken in the first place.

The thread was initially locked then deleted. KK never got a chance to read it. A lot of times in the arguments that ensue the thread that gets deleted often gets recreated in order to argue the validity of it's deletion. It is a moronic cycle.

PM Thor
02-01-2008, 02:28 AM
Yeah Snipe, I don't agree with the new thread-based-on-a-locked-deleted-thread thread.

If people have a problem with why a thread is deleted or locked, ask an admin, or even a mod. Why start another thread about it? Perhaps it is because people want it to be aired publically? Go to the source. Simple enough.