PDA

View Full Version : Call of Duty MW2 is out

Muskie
11-11-2009, 02:55 PM
Who's got it? Anyone doing multiplayer?

JimmyTwoTimes37
11-11-2009, 02:56 PM
Who's got it? Anyone doing multiplayer?

I would like to know as well....I've heard great things so far...

Titanxman04
11-11-2009, 02:57 PM
I bought it yesterday. Traded in a game for it and only paid $30!

Xbox: Beardface24

It's freaking sweet. Addictive. And just fun to play. I highly encourage anyone who has a game system to get it.

BBC 08
11-11-2009, 03:06 PM
I bought it yesterday. Traded in a game for it and only paid $30!

Xbox: Beardface24

It's freaking sweet. Addictive. And just fun to play. I highly encourage anyone who has a game system to get it.

I just dropped money a little bit ago on NHL 10 and that's taking up my time until NCAA Basketball 10 comes out next week.

Titanxman04
11-11-2009, 03:07 PM
I just dropped money a little bit ago on NHL 10 and that's taking up my time until NCAA Basketball 10 comes out next week.

Respectable but disappointing Jeff. BTW, whats your Xbox name?

BBC 08
11-11-2009, 03:15 PM
Respectable but disappointing Jeff. BTW, whats your Xbox name?

jtm1209

more characters....

Xman95
11-11-2009, 03:58 PM
I got mine yesterday. Titan, I can do you one better on the price...$0. Got mine through work. Jumpy has it too.

Xbox screen name: OHYANKEE23

BBC, if you have this year's Madden we'll have to get a game going. I'll probably get NCAA too, so maybe we can hit the court for some games. I'll be XU and you can take UD! Also, isn't there a new FIFA that's supposed to be out soon (or out already)? I haven't bought a soccer game in years, but I remember having a blast playing the older ones and might jump in again.

FYI -- I plan on playing COD tonight so I'll look for anyone who might be on. Titan, I'll send you a friend request.

The Chief11089
11-11-2009, 04:06 PM
Got MW2 on PS3
PSN: chiefbert11089
Also going to get NCAA 10 next week! Xavier National Champs in video games and real life in 2010!

xu95
11-11-2009, 04:29 PM
I plan on getting it but can't seem to stop playing NCAA Football 10 and that will quickly become NCAA Basketball 10, so it will probably be around the end of the year before I get it.

Xbox Screenname: xu95
PSN screenname: xu95

Kahns Krazy
11-11-2009, 04:52 PM
I've been toying with getting a game system to replace my playstation 1. Should I go PS3 or XBox?

BBC 08
11-11-2009, 04:58 PM
I've been toying with getting a game system to replace my playstation 1. Should I go PS3 or XBox?

Go with the Sega Dreamcast.

JimmyTwoTimes37
11-11-2009, 04:59 PM

That's a tough one.

XBox360 - Better online play but you have to pay for the service. I believe it does have internet access as well.

PS3 - A Blu Ray player as well as free online gaming and internet access(Wireless too).

BBC 08
11-11-2009, 04:59 PM
I got mine yesterday. Titan, I can do you one better on the price...$0. Got mine through work. Jumpy has it too.

Xbox screen name: OHYANKEE23

BBC, if you have this year's Madden we'll have to get a game going. I'll probably get NCAA too, so maybe we can hit the court for some games. I'll be XU and you can take UD! Also, isn't there a new FIFA that's supposed to be out soon (or out already)? I haven't bought a soccer game in years, but I remember having a blast playing the older ones and might jump in again.

FYI -- I plan on playing COD tonight so I'll look for anyone who might be on. Titan, I'll send you a friend request.

I haven't gotten yet, will probably get it around the holidays if it's on sale.

Fifa 10 just came out and from everything I've read is that it's better than Fifa 09.

JimmyTwoTimes37
11-11-2009, 05:00 PM
Go with the Sega Dreamcast.

Atari Jaguar...hahaha

Kahns Krazy
11-11-2009, 05:03 PM
Atari Jaguar...hahaha

Wow. I had to google that. I had no idea such a thing existed.

GuyFawkes38
11-11-2009, 05:05 PM
That's a tough one.

XBox360 - Better online play but you have to pay for the service. I believe it does have internet access as well.

PS3 - A Blu Ray player as well as free online gaming and internet access(Wireless too).

that sort of make it sound like an easy choice: PS3.

Edit: apparently Xbox is cheaper, so I guess that muddles the decision.

JimmyTwoTimes37
11-11-2009, 05:07 PM
Wow. I had to google that. I had no idea such a thing existed.

With a controller like this, it's easy to see why it immediately was discontinued...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/83/Atari_jaguar_controller.jpg

D-West & PO-Z
11-11-2009, 05:24 PM
that sort of make it sound like an easy choice: PS3.

Edit: apparently Xbox is cheaper, so I guess that muddles the decision.

I thought they were both $299? Maybe not?

I dont own either but my roommate has a PS3 and I have played xbox 360 but I personally like PS3 better. I like the free online play and I like the controller better. I also dont play Halo which is why some people like xbox better because it is only for xbox. I dont think you could say one is definitely better than the other.

D-West & PO-Z
11-11-2009, 05:24 PM
With a controller like this, it's easy to see why it immediately was discontinued...

Wow

Titanxman04
11-11-2009, 05:33 PM
Kahn's,
I'd tell you Xbox simply because I think it has crisper online gameplay and it's therefore worth the $50 a year... However, PS3 has the best blueray our there, and on top of that, xbox breaks down a lot more often than a PS3... Just something to consider.

Titanxman04
11-11-2009, 05:33 PM

The looks about as complicated as BBC's dating life. :D

PM Thor
11-11-2009, 07:06 PM
Hoo boy, I'm gonna rat myself out on this one.

My buddy talked me into picking this game up at the midnight release, buying the game prerelease. I thought you just walk up and get it, no big deal. My buddy called me to let me know that he was already in line at 11 and I needed to get there ASAP. I showed up 20 minutes later and got number 74 in line. There were probably another 100 behind me. It was the weirdest, freakiest group of people I have ever seen. A bunch of overweight middle aged guys with Mountain Dew and pizza stains on their shirts, the assorted preteens and teenagers, tons of other weird people (and my buddy and I). Definitely not my scene. It was just straight up weird. I will never do that again.

So I get the game, thinking that I would play for maybe an hour, then go to bed. I shut the game off at 6 AM. I honestly don't know how that happened. I'm not a big "gamer", into those online games, but this game was just so fun to kill my friends online. I'll probably play it tomorrow night for awhile too, just not like that first night.

Look up MjOllnir (or Mj0llnir, I don't know if it's an O or a zero) on Xbox. That's right, Thors hammer. Geeking it out big time.

It's amazing how much this game has made already, somewhere in the realm of a half a billion in sales so far. That's freaking insane.

I HATE dayton.

Titanxman04
11-11-2009, 07:15 PM

My buddy talked me into picking this game up at the midnight release, buying the game prerelease. I thought you just walk up and get it, no big deal. My buddy called me to let me know that he was already in line at 11 and I needed to get there ASAP. I showed up 20 minutes later and got number 74 in line. There were probably another 100 behind me. It was the weirdest, freakiest group of people I have ever seen. A bunch of overweight middle aged guys with Mountain Dew and pizza stains on their shirts, the assorted preteens and teenagers, tons of other weird people (and my buddy and I). Definitely not my scene. It was just straight up weird. I will never do that again.

So I get the game, thinking that I would play for maybe an hour, then go to bed. I shut the game off at 6 AM. I honestly don't know how that happened. I'm not a big "gamer", into those online games, but this game was just so fun to kill my friends online. I'll probably play it tomorrow night for awhile too, just not like that first night.

Look up MjOllnir (or Mj0llnir, I don't know if it's an O or a zero) on Xbox. That's right, Thors hammer. Geeking it out big time.

It's amazing how much this game has made already, somewhere in the realm of a half a billion in sales so far. That's freaking insane.

I HATE dayton.

Have you played the first one? It was awesome. This one, so far, is ever better in my opinion.

I just need Fifa 10 and March Madness 10 when it comes out, and I'll be a happy child.

JimmyTwoTimes37
11-11-2009, 07:19 PM

I HATE dayton.

Damn, I should have bought some activision stock....It sold 7 million games in one day!
http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=5826

EDIT: Nevermind. Activision Blizzard Inc. isn't really doing much surprisingly

Titanxman04
11-11-2009, 07:36 PM
Seriously... we need an xbox MW2 throwdown tonight. 9 eastern, see you fools there.

My God, we're soooo freaking cool.

http://news.gotgame.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/revenge-of-the-nerds.jpg

golfitup
11-11-2009, 07:40 PM
isn't there a new FIFA that's supposed to be out soon (or out already)? I haven't bought a soccer game in years, but I remember having a blast playing the older ones and might jump in again.

I have FIFA 10 and it is great in my opinion. But i love soccer so im biased.

Muskieblue
11-11-2009, 08:27 PM
handmadesteve is my tag
thats what ya get when you let xbox pick your name, but this game is awesome, even the single player was top notch for any type of game let alone a fps that favors online

DoubleD86
11-11-2009, 08:40 PM
I got it, I am on PS3 gamertag DrewPD86

Titanxman04
11-11-2009, 09:02 PM
Just a heads up, I added all the gamertags for Xbox to my account. Again, Beardface. Would love to murder some terrorists with you all someday.

MHettel
11-11-2009, 09:03 PM
Wanna hear something cool?

Among the many business lines where i work, we have the #1 gaming test lab in the world.

Our guys play all this stuff, pre-release in labs.

Totally top secret stuff. Not a wind of whats going on to management.

Told you it was cool.

Fred Garvin
11-11-2009, 09:56 PM

Among the many business lines where i work, we have the #1 gaming test lab in the world.

Told you it was cool.

Do they have an NCAA basketball game. If so, do you suggest Xavier should never switch defenses?

Jumpy
11-12-2009, 07:38 AM

Told you it was cool.

Its only cool if you can get me a job there.

Xman said it before, but I've got the game and have been addicted to it since Tuesday. Beardface, add stkywik to your friend's list. That's my gamertag.

I took the day off tomorrow and will be playing the game all day, I'm sure. If anyone wants to jump in with me, you're more than welcome.

Xman, sorry I missed your message last night, I didn't even notice you sent me one until I was getting offline. I'll be on today, tomorrow, and much of the weekend.

Jumpy
11-12-2009, 07:41 AM

I HATE dayton.

If you didn't have a pre-order, I'm guessing you went to Walmart. trust me, having been to a few midnight release parties, the Walmart crowd is tame and civil compared to the specimen that slither into Gamestop to pick up their pre-orders.

Muskie
11-12-2009, 09:17 AM
Seriously... we need an xbox MW2 throwdown tonight. 9 eastern, see you fools there.

My God, we're soooo freaking cool.

http://news.gotgame.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/revenge-of-the-nerds.jpg

I can play tonight.

Smails
11-12-2009, 11:39 AM
When you were a baby lying in your crib and your father looked down on you he had but one wish….that one day you would grow to be a man. Well look at you now! You just got your asses whhiiped by a bunch of goddam nerds…NERDS! If I was you I would do something about it. I would go out there and redeem myself in the eyes of my father, my maker and my coach!

Kahns Krazy
11-12-2009, 12:03 PM
Didn't the nerd end up banging Betty Childs?

PM Thor
11-12-2009, 12:08 PM
If you didn't have a pre-order, I'm guessing you went to Walmart. trust me, having been to a few midnight release parties, the Walmart crowd is tame and civil compared to the specimen that slither into Gamestop to pick up their pre-orders.

It was preordered, and it was Gamestop. Holy Hell. They were going up and down the line asking random trivia, of which I knew none of it. It's amazing when one guy asks "Who was the lead developer for Call of Duty World At War?" and 20 different dorks yell out the guys name simulateously.

Now I know I'm a dork when it comes to college basketball stats and stuff, but those guys took it to a whole other level. If it wasn't so weird it would have been impressive.

I HATE dayton.

Xman95
11-12-2009, 12:17 PM
It was preordered, and it was Gamestop.

Don't be upset by somehow playing until 6am. I was never a fan of FPS games, then I played Halo 3. I really liked it, but figured it was a fluke and probably the only FPS I would really play. Then Call of Duty: Modern Warfare came out. Holy piss, Batman! That was not only the best FPS, but probably the best game I had ever played. Obviously I then played CoD: World at War and now Modern Warfare 2. The CoD games are addictive to that point that crack addicts probably feel bad for us. They have a better shot of beating their addictions than we do! Anyway, it's VERY easy to kill several hours playing CoD without even realizing it.

XU05and07
11-12-2009, 01:02 PM
Don't use pirated versions found on the internet...

Microsoft bans 1 million Xbox Live players (http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/11/12/cnet.xbox.live.ban/index.html)

Jumpy
11-12-2009, 01:11 PM
It was preordered, and it was Gamestop. Holy Hell. They were going up and down the line asking random trivia, of which I knew none of it. It's amazing when one guy asks "Who was the lead developer for Call of Duty World At War?" and 20 different dorks yell out the guys name simulateously.

Now I know I'm a dork when it comes to college basketball stats and stuff, but those guys took it to a whole other level. If it wasn't so weird it would have been impressive.

I HATE dayton.

Yeah, you got the full experience, then. I don't know what hole in the ground some of those guys slither out from, but they are scary and entertaining all at the same time.

EDIT: It's actually easier and arguably safer to just go up to Walmart for a midnight release. No need to preorder anything, they've got more than enough copies. The only catch is it has to be a 24 hr. Walmart and willing to sell at midnight as some of them don't. The one on Colerain Ave. is pretty good about it, though.

Xman95
11-12-2009, 01:13 PM
Don't use pirated versions found on the internet...

Microsoft bans 1 million Xbox Live players (http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/11/12/cnet.xbox.live.ban/index.html)

Yep, I heard about that. Sucks to be them.

XU '03
11-13-2009, 03:15 PM
I'm also hooked on NHL '10 at the moment, although I just ordered Call of Duty and FIFA '10 off of Amazon using a gift card I had the other day. Should arrive early next week. I'm on PS3 and my PSN ID is xavier3308, should be easy to find. Look me up and add me as a friend for anyone on PSN.

Smails
11-13-2009, 03:39 PM
Didn't the nerd end up banging Betty Childs?

yes but she cheated on him with Stan in part 6

Jumpy
11-16-2009, 06:30 AM
Well, I'm back from my Modern Warfare 2 weekend bonanza. Two sore thumbs, a sore back, rankings in the top 500K in both kills and score (which I'm sure have since plummetted) and a very irritated wife later, I have to wonder what those guys at the top of the list actually do for a living. In the first week of the game, I literally devoted two days to it (Friday and Saturday) and have put in 24 hrs. of playtime. And I'm no where close to the top of the list in any statistical category. I look at the leaders, and most of them have put in 3-4 days of playtime. 72-96 hrs. out of a possible 120 hrs. since the game's release (as of Saturday) is insane.

I know a lot of people managed to get the game early, but it wasn't that widespread.

Ledgewood
11-16-2009, 11:15 AM
i love these call of duty games.

my only complaint is that the campaign is too dang quick. its only like 5 hours to complete it, which is not a lot at all. but the online is totally awesome.

xbox live account: JMLedgewood

waggy
11-16-2009, 11:54 AM
I have to wonder what those guys at the top of the list actually do for a living.

I look at the leaders, and most of them have put in 3-4 days of playtime. 72-96 hrs. out of a possible 120 hrs. since the game's release (as of Saturday) is insane.

Methamphetamine.

Xman95
11-16-2009, 12:55 PM
Well, I'm back from my Modern Warfare 2 weekend bonanza. Two sore thumbs, a sore back, rankings in the top 500K in both kills and score (which I'm sure have since plummetted) and a very irritated wife later, I have to wonder what those guys at the top of the list actually do for a living. In the first week of the game, I literally devoted two days to it (Friday and Saturday) and have put in 24 hrs. of playtime. And I'm no where close to the top of the list in any statistical category. I look at the leaders, and most of them have put in 3-4 days of playtime. 72-96 hrs. out of a possible 120 hrs. since the game's release (as of Saturday) is insane.

I've played COD with you before and can honestly say that you're good. Obviously not one of the elite, but a very good player and far better than I am. The fact that you're not cracking into the upper echelon of the rankings shows how much those other yahoos play. Those people live for this game. Your wife may disagree after the last couple days, but you actually have a life outside of COD.

One of the problems I have - you might as well - is that I don't know the maps nearly as well as the really good players. When the map packs first come out I usually do pretty well. That's because I'm still basically on the same level as everyone else when it comes to map knowledge/recognition. But after a few days I'm way behind because I don't log nearly as many hours as most other players on COD. Oh well, it's still insanely fun and a nice mental getaway.

By the way, Jumpy, here's one of the people ranked ahead of us:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_3BaJMgGKAmE/RoP-fBScYiI/AAAAAAAAA5M/fiJ52XlfzOY/s320/video+kid.jpg

BBC 08
11-16-2009, 01:09 PM
Picking up MW2 for the 360 after work today so if anyone is up for playing let me know. My ID is jtm1209.

Titanxman04
11-16-2009, 02:02 PM
Picking up MW2 for the 360 after work today so if anyone is up for playing let me know. My ID is jtm1209.

Lets do it Jeff. I'm free all day today. Rare day off of work.

Ledgewood
11-16-2009, 02:04 PM
i will jion the fight after 5. shall we create the xu clan?

Titanxman04
11-16-2009, 02:06 PM
i will jion the fight after 5. shall we create the xu clan?

I have my clan tag simply as "Go X". Anything better in mind? I'm game.

Ledgewood
11-16-2009, 04:23 PM
how do you join someones clan?

Titanxman04
11-16-2009, 04:25 PM
You have to "earn" the clan title through multiplayer. You have to be level 5 or something.

But once you have the option, just enter in whatever you'd like, max is 4 characters.

Ledgewood
11-16-2009, 04:34 PM
so all i do is put Go X in my clan tag? i unlocked it already.

what im asking is how do we all kill foreign people together..

Titanxman04
11-16-2009, 04:53 PM
so all i do is put Go X in my clan tag? i unlocked it already.

what im asking is how do we all kill foreign people together..

I need to be playing as well, we invite each other to a party. and then we murder terrorists, which just so happens to be one of my favorite hobbies.

BBC 08
11-16-2009, 06:09 PM
Bad news guys, the two stores I went to tonight were out of MW2. No killing terroist for me tonight unless you call beating Canadians at hockey, killing terrorist.

Titanxman04
11-16-2009, 06:39 PM
Bad news guys, the two stores I went to tonight were out of MW2. No killing terroist for me tonight unless you call beating Canadians at hockey, killing terrorist.

The Canadians are being watch, yet they have shown no hostile action towards the USA, so no, we cannot currently call them terrorists. Sorry to hear that buddy, maybe tomorrow will hold better luck for you?

Jumpy
11-16-2009, 07:26 PM
By the way, Jumpy, here's one of the people ranked ahead of us:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_3BaJMgGKAmE/RoP-fBScYiI/AAAAAAAAA5M/fiJ52XlfzOY/s320/video+kid.jpg

You aren't lying.

Is anyone going to be on tomorrow night? I can play tomorrow.

Titanxman04
11-16-2009, 07:52 PM
You aren't lying.

Is anyone going to be on tomorrow night? I can play tomorrow.

Just let me know Jumpy.

Xbox: Beardface 24

I'll be cleaning up the place a bit before the old man comes in for the X game. But I'm sure I'll need some "killing terrorists" breaks.

Jumpy
11-17-2009, 06:34 AM
Didn't realize the X game was tonight, thought it was tomorrow. This crazy schedule with the Tuesday games. What happened to Wednesday games?

EDIT: I'll still be on tonight before the game, but now I doubt that anyone will want to join in. I promised a guy at work that just started playing COD games with MW2 that I'd help him learn the maps and give him pointers on how to "slow down" the game. He's having trouble getting accustomed to the speed and style of play and he still hasn't found a good loadout yet.

Speaking of loadouts, what are all of your favorites?

Mine is the SCAR w/holographic sight, AA-12 shotgun w/grip, scavenger pro, coldblooded pro and ninja pro.

Xman95
11-17-2009, 08:15 AM
Speaking of loadouts, what are all of your favorites?

Mine is the SCAR w/holographic sight, AA-12 shotgun w/grip, scavenger pro, coldblooded pro and ninja pro.

Jumpy, I'm not sure I'm even at Lvl. 10 yet! Hopefully I'll have a little more 360 time in the coming weeks to work on my COD skills. I'll look for you pregame (if I'm home early enough). If not, maybe we'll shoot some stuff tomorrow.

For those working on clan tags, I have used XUXU for the last two COD games so, if you want to jump on with that one, feel free.

Muskie
11-17-2009, 08:18 AM
Jumpy,

I'll try to get on before the game. I haven't had the chance to play in a team with you yet, though I've seen you on.

Titanxman04
11-17-2009, 08:19 AM
I have the day off. So if anyone is willing to kill some terrorists with me this morning, I'm game.

Jumpy
11-17-2009, 11:38 AM
Jumpy, I'm not sure I'm even at Lvl. 10 yet! Hopefully I'll have a little more 360 time in the coming weeks to work on my COD skills. I'll look for you pregame (if I'm home early enough). If not, maybe we'll shoot some stuff tomorrow.

For those working on clan tags, I have used XUXU for the last two COD games so, if you want to jump on with that one, feel free.

I can't remember when all that stuff unlocks, but they are all fairly early. I've been using that setup for a while now. When coldblooded and ninja open up, though, they are worth using until you get to the pro level, IMO. Its hard getting coldblooded pro because you only get it by destroying enemy killstreak rewards (i.e. sentry guns), but when you do, its totally worth it. You don't show up with UAVs and sentry guns and gun ships can't see you, so you can run around the map in peace knowing that you won't be shot by Harriers or attack choppers.

EDIT: Forgot the best part of coldblooded pro. When enemies put their crosshairs on you, your name stops popping up in red. Its as ifyou aren't even there almost. They have to have seen you move or shoot to know where you are.

Xman95
11-17-2009, 12:21 PM
Jumpy,

I'll try to get on before the game. I haven't had the chance to play in a team with you yet, though I've seen you on.

Muskie, what's your Gamertag? I might already have you listed, but I'll add you if I don't.

BBC 08
11-17-2009, 12:54 PM
Any way we can get a sticky thread with everyone's gamertags in them?

Muskie
11-18-2009, 08:50 PM
A couple of us on right now

Titanxman04
11-18-2009, 09:49 PM
Still on everyone?

Mark 3 Pointer
11-18-2009, 10:00 PM
yo someone pull me into a game... gametag: sirmacsalot

PM Thor
11-18-2009, 10:25 PM
Heh, already moved onto Left For Dead 2 (rental). Having a blast killin me some zombies.

I HATE dayton.

Xman95
11-19-2009, 12:27 PM
Maybe we'll get a party going tonight. I played a little with Muskie last night after we worked out some party/game bugs. Got to see him die 25 times in one game!

Muskie
11-19-2009, 07:28 PM
on now....

Jumpy
11-20-2009, 05:32 AM
Maybe we'll get a party going tonight. I played a little with Muskie last night after we worked out some party/game bugs. Got to see him die 25 times in one game!

What's that saying about MLB pitchers? You have to be a real good pitcher to lose 20 games? You're just ahead of your time, Muskie.

Xman95
11-20-2009, 09:15 AM
Sorry, Muskie (and anyone else that was on last night), I was trying to get my son to sleep and I actually dozed off...and that was the end of my night! I'm going to try to get on tonight, although it might be later.

Titanxman04
11-20-2009, 09:19 AM
I work a double today, but then I'll be home and ideally I'll be rocking the world of multiple terrorists organizations. Come get a taste. USA! USA! USA!

Titanxman04
11-20-2009, 09:20 AM
For the record, I feel my overall sex appeal drops every time I post on this thread.

GuyFawkes38
11-20-2009, 11:24 AM
Is there some sort of "Nerd Alert" tag we can put on this thread.

Jumpy
11-20-2009, 11:55 AM
For the record, I feel my overall sex appeal drops every time I post on this thread.

You had sex appeal before this thread? Teach me, Obi Wan.

Titanxman04
11-20-2009, 01:23 PM
You had sex appeal before this thread? Teach me, Obi Wan.

Its all in the beard. Women love it.

BBC 08
11-20-2009, 08:10 PM
Just got back from picking up the game so I'll be up for some multi-player tonight. My Xbox Live name is jtm1209.

Pajama Joe
11-22-2009, 02:29 AM
I know this is a little off topic, but I've been looking into buying a new console. Anyone have any thoughts on which one I should get and any good deals that might be out there.

Thanks.

Muskie
12-01-2009, 08:27 PM
i'm on

MuskieFan151
12-01-2009, 10:39 PM
I know this is a little off topic, but I've been looking into buying a new console. Anyone have any thoughts on which one I should get and any good deals that might be out there.

Thanks.

Both consoles have solid arguments. I have a PS3 and I thought it was a better deal even before the $100 price drop. For $299 now, I personally believe you get the better console than the xbox 360.

I think that the PS3-only games have better graphics than 360-only games (multi-platform games typically are the same), but it's in the eye of the beholder. On top of that, you have the free internet browser (google, youtube, etc.) and online play. Xbox Live might not be that expensive, but 50 bucks a year can add up.

People may say that it's better to be on Xbox Live because more people use it, but that will inevitably balance out, because the xbox started at a lower price. Besides, the 360 has a failure rate above 50% (according to a recent Game Informer issue), while that of the PS3 is less than 1%. Therefore, if you purchase a 360, it's unlikely that you won't experience the red ring of death.

If you're looking to upgrade the memory on your console, consumer reports say that it's much easier to do so with a PS3 rather than the xbox.

Going back to the price issue, the cost of a 360 really adds up over time, even though saving that 50-100 bucks at the store may seem nice. Let's face it: no gaming system is complete without online play (except the all-time best, N64). If you want to play online with the PS3, you've got free Playstation Network membership and free, built-in wi-fi. There you go. You're ready to play. However, if you don't have internet cables and you need to use wi-fi to access Xbox Live from your 360, you must pay about $100 for a proprietary wireless adapter. That is absolutely ridiculous for a simple USB adapter that normally costs $20 or so.

There's also the Blue Ray player included in every PS3 at no extra cost.

Other finishing points, Microsoft is deeply involved in a war with piracy. Consoles are constantly banned and games are being sold before release. You could save money, but you're screwed if you're caught. PSP connectivity is a huge plus if you have one. I've played quite a bit on the 360 controllers, and I must say that I definitely like the simplicity of the PS3 controllers. The 360 ones are just a bit too chunky and clunky for me.

So, in conclusion, it's up to you. Online is better on the 360, but you pay. Graphics are 100% opinion. If I were to do it all over again, though, the deciding factor for me would be the fact that console failure is almost an inevitability with the 360. The PS3 just works, with smooth performance and no hassle.

So there you go. I've presented the pro-PS3 point of view. If you decide to go Sony, my online ID is:

sk1534

Titanxman04
12-02-2009, 03:43 PM
I'm on for a while. Someone jump on with me. I need help slaughtering bad guys.

Pajama Joe
12-02-2009, 05:56 PM
Both consoles have solid arguments. I have a PS3 and I thought it was a better deal even before the $100 price drop. For $299 now, I personally believe you get the better console than the xbox 360.

I think that the PS3-only games have better graphics than 360-only games (multi-platform games typically are the same), but it's in the eye of the beholder. On top of that, you have the free internet browser (google, youtube, etc.) and online play. Xbox Live might not be that expensive, but 50 bucks a year can add up.

People may say that it's better to be on Xbox Live because more people use it, but that will inevitably balance out, because the xbox started at a lower price. Besides, the 360 has a failure rate above 50% (according to a recent Game Informer issue), while that of the PS3 is less than 1%. Therefore, if you purchase a 360, it's unlikely that you won't experience the red ring of death.

If you're looking to upgrade the memory on your console, consumer reports say that it's much easier to do so with a PS3 rather than the xbox.

Going back to the price issue, the cost of a 360 really adds up over time, even though saving that 50-100 bucks at the store may seem nice. Let's face it: no gaming system is complete without online play (except the all-time best, N64). If you want to play online with the PS3, you've got free Playstation Network membership and free, built-in wi-fi. There you go. You're ready to play. However, if you don't have internet cables and you need to use wi-fi to access Xbox Live from your 360, you must pay about $100 for a proprietary wireless adapter. That is absolutely ridiculous for a simple USB adapter that normally costs $20 or so.

There's also the Blue Ray player included in every PS3 at no extra cost.

Other finishing points, Microsoft is deeply involved in a war with piracy. Consoles are constantly banned and games are being sold before release. You could save money, but you're screwed if you're caught. PSP connectivity is a huge plus if you have one. I've played quite a bit on the 360 controllers, and I must say that I definitely like the simplicity of the PS3 controllers. The 360 ones are just a bit too chunky and clunky for me.

So, in conclusion, it's up to you. Online is better on the 360, but you pay. Graphics are 100% opinion. If I were to do it all over again, though, the deciding factor for me would be the fact that console failure is almost an inevitability with the 360. The PS3 just works, with smooth performance and no hassle.

So there you go. I've presented the pro-PS3 point of view. If you decide to go Sony, my online ID is:

sk1534

Thanks, appreciate it. I was already leaning towards PS3 and now I think you've sold me. I'm probably going to wait about a month until I get it (just don't quite have time for it yet) but I'll add you then.

Thanks again.

Titanxman04
12-02-2009, 07:56 PM
Thanks, appreciate it. I was already leaning towards PS3 and now I think you've sold me. I'm probably going to wait about a month until I get it (just don't quite have time for it yet) but I'll add you then.

Thanks again.

I would agree. I have a 360, and I think now that I have a flatscreen and all, I'd like to have a blueray player. Well, a PS3 has a fraction of the problems that Xbox has as a unit. Grant it, I don't mind the $50 a year for online play. It's worth it and the network is top notch. But still, I'd like to get a PS3 at some point.

MuskieFan151
12-02-2009, 08:18 PM

Thanks again.

No problem, my friend. It's always nice to see someone join the way-too-small number of PS3 owners.

Cincypunk.org
12-20-2009, 06:08 PM
Cincypunk Org

on xbox 360

Usually on 1130pm til 1am or so...

xu2006
12-22-2009, 08:34 AM
Got it. Stupidly addicted.

XBox Live --> HKXU06