PDA

View Full Version : Bengals vs. Ravens

xubball93
11-08-2009, 12:52 PM
1st quarter: the offense picked up where they left the Bears run over on the field with two TD drives. The D is playing aggressive. My goodness, this team wants to win. I'm starting to become a believer....

XU-PA
11-08-2009, 01:15 PM
Very good things on both sides of the ball for Cinti. Also noticed that Shane Graham has a fire in his foot today, I think all his kickoffs have been fielded at the 1 or 2 yd line, nice work!

xubball93
11-08-2009, 03:22 PM
Offense disappeared in the second half...gotta play and produce all four quarters to be Pittsburgh next week...

XU-PA
11-08-2009, 04:17 PM
Who Dey!!! 6-2 baby, it's awesome.
Random stats and ingeresting stuff

Before the bengals stalled on the late 2nd quarter drive, Palmer had led 10 straight scoring drives, all 10 drives he started led to td or field goal. Wonder how long it's been since a bengal qb did that. Boomer, Anderson? Maybe never?

Bengals are atop the nfl in takeaways over the last 6 years, since Marvin Lewis took over. they were one behind Ravens going into the game.

And the Bengals punter, Huber, should be a muskie, instead of being an alum of that non basketball school over in Clifton. His dad was a Musketeer player in the Glory years of Xavier Football!

See, those TV stat guys are worthwhile, the announcers, not so.

wkrq59
11-08-2009, 04:27 PM
Dan Fouts can't forget his playoff loss in Cincinnati.
Bengals defense vastly improved. :D

AdamtheFlyer
11-08-2009, 04:43 PM
Carson simply owns the Ravens.

jdm2000
11-08-2009, 06:47 PM
I love the Bengals' cornerbacks. They are able to do so much more on defense knowing that Hall and Joseph can be on an island by themselves.

(It killed me as a Buckeye fan, but I bought a Leon Hall jersey this week.)

Fireball
11-08-2009, 07:26 PM
Great job from the team, but what worries me is the zero points after Chris Henry got injured. I would hope that's nothing more than coincidence, but his presence does seem to drive the Bengals offense a lot.

Great win, though. 6-2 with 4 gimme wins in the last half of the season is awesome.

Strange Brew
11-08-2009, 07:29 PM
Great job from the team, but what worries me is the zero points after Chris Henry got injured. I would hope that's nothing more than coincidence, but his presence does seem to drive the Bengals offense a lot.

Great win, though. 6-2 with 4 gimme wins in the last half of the season is awesome.

No doubt, it IS a coincidence.

X-band '01
11-08-2009, 07:36 PM

At least Brian Leonard is back as a 3rd-down option; the Bengals really missed him in the loss against Houston.

waggy
11-08-2009, 07:43 PM
4 gimme wins

This is the NFL and the Bengals - there is no such thing as a gimme win IMO.

Maybe I'm a just a pessimist (or a tortured Bengals fan).

Jumpy
11-08-2009, 08:02 PM

No, you're not. No game in the NFL is a gimme. The league is built for parity and that is why I love it so much. Any team can honestly beat any other given team. I will say this, though. Our schedule does get easier after next week.

jdm2000
11-09-2009, 07:56 AM

Spoken like a true Bengals fan. It's actually scary that they have KC, the Raiders, Cleveland and Detroit over the second half...

Jumpy
11-09-2009, 09:35 AM
The sad thing is that the Stealers actually have an easier remaining schedule than us. The overall record of our remaining opponents is 21-35 while that of Pittsburgh's remaining opponents are 19-37.

They do have the Ravens on the schedule twice, so hopefully they can manage a split with the towel wavers.

Smails
11-09-2009, 09:57 AM
Granted the Ravens don't exactly trot out a set of dynamic receivers, but the Bengals corners finally looked like a couple of first round draft picks out there. The interceptions were great, but some of the pass break-ups they had were athletically unbelievable.

If the D line can get any kind of pressure on the passer, those two corners are gonna be tough to throw on. Big test next week as it seems like Ward and Holmes usually run free versus the Bengals.

Great day at the stadium yesterday.

boozehound
11-09-2009, 10:12 AM
Hall and Joseph may be the best cornerback tandem in the NFL. We have a very talented secondary right now. You could make an argument that they are they best 1-2 cornerback duo in the NFL.

Kahns Krazy
11-09-2009, 11:51 AM
The sad thing is that the Stealers actually have an easier remaining schedule than us. The overall record of our remaining opponents is 21-35 while that of Pittsburgh's remaining opponents are 19-37.

They do have the Ravens on the schedule twice, so hopefully they can manage a split with the towel wavers.

So other than us and the Ravens, the other five games on the Stealers schedule have a total of 5 wins? That is horrible.

It'd be real nice to win that game next week.

Edit: Either I'm reading that wrong, or those numbers aren't quite right. Our remaining 8 game opponents should have more than 56 games between them after week 9.

gladdenguy
11-09-2009, 02:34 PM
Im wondering if 87 is actually enjoying this or does his hatred for Mike Brown get in the way of this winning season?
This team is fun. The offensive line continues to amaze me. Benson runs hard and looks like he is on a downward slope. Chad, besides him fumbling the football, is catching everything. Carson is moving out of the pocket and making plays. Leonard is a 3rd down clutch machine. Even Coles was into the action yesterday.
The defense is turning out to be the best defense we've ever seen. Granted, our d-line is not that great, but our coverage is so solid, most sacks are definitely from coverage.
There is not a team the Bengals can't beat and I'd much rather play this years Colts or Patriots team than the Colts/Patriot teams in the past.
HIP HIP WHO DEY HIP HIP WHO DEY

Dwest, sorry your Giants now look awful.....but its a great year to be a Bengals fan!!!!

waggy
11-09-2009, 02:38 PM
Eli is a last name and one extremely lucky catch from landing on the trash heap of quarterback busts.

BENWAR
11-09-2009, 03:05 PM
So other than us and the Ravens, the other five games on the Stealers schedule have a total of 5 wins? That is horrible.

It'd be real nice to win that game next week.

Edit: Either I'm reading that wrong, or those numbers aren't quite right. Our remaining 8 game opponents should have more than 56 games between them after week 9.

He's not counting the game we play against Pissburgh.

He also fails to mention that Pissburgh has a game with the 6-1 Broncos which would give them a tougher schedule entering week 8 since we played the 4-3 Ravens yesterday.

Jumpy
11-09-2009, 04:31 PM
Yeah, failed to mention that part. I was just looking past our game with them next week. Sorry for the confusion, Kahn's.

DC Muskie
11-09-2009, 04:39 PM
It was great to see the Ravens earn that loss.

The Bengals are going to win the division. Now beat the Steelers just to be sure.

vee4xu
11-09-2009, 04:46 PM
I take my hat off to the Bengals. They are earning good wins at home and on the road. They have moved from the suspect list to the for real list.

D-West & PO-Z
11-09-2009, 08:14 PM
Eli is a last name and one extremely lucky catch from landing on the trash heap of quarterback busts.

Should I really call you out on this and make you look silly or was this just to bait me? I dont really want to embarrass you but if you actually believe that comment I will. Just let me know.

waggy
11-09-2009, 08:17 PM
:D

He's not good.

D-West & PO-Z
11-09-2009, 08:19 PM
Dwest, sorry your Giants now look awful.....but its a great year to be a Bengals fan!!!!

I knew there would be a comment from you in here to me but thats ok, I can take it. I thought they played pretty decent last night on offense, it is just the secondary that is bad right now and its to be accepted with a starting corner and starting safety out for every game but 2. They didnt have the depth needed at either position to have long term injuries.

Once again I am just glad it was only 2 years ago that I got to see them win the greatest Super Bowl in history, in person, with one of the greatest plays of all time. While I always want them to be great every year I have always lived by the 5 year rule when it comes to your team winning a championship. If your team wins one they can be ass good or as bad as they want for the 5 years following without much negativity from me. Would most Bengals fans not agree? Would you take 5 straight losing seasons after this year if the Bengals won the SB this year?

D-West & PO-Z
11-09-2009, 08:20 PM
:D

He's not good.

Still not sure if you are serious or not.

waggy
11-09-2009, 08:25 PM
...one of the greatest plays of all time.

It was lucky. And I'm no Patriots fan.

Still not sure if you are serious or not.

Not impressed.

D-West & PO-Z
11-09-2009, 08:28 PM
It was lucky. And I'm no Patriots fan.

What Eli did on that play, getting out of trouble and throwing a perfect ball to Tyree was not lucky. The catch itself by Tyree was somewhat lucky.

D-West & PO-Z
11-09-2009, 08:41 PM
Not impressed.

Well here are some numbers for you from just this season alone and this is excluding yesterdays game where he had a 112 QB rating.

Red Zone Passing: 12-30, 105 yards, 6 TDs, 0 INTs, 89.6 rating
Passes thrown 15 yards or more in the air: 33-70, 894 yards, 8 TSs, 5 INTs, 101.8 passer rating
Passing against 5 or more rushers: 53-111, 776 yards, 8 TD, 4 INTs, 80.0 passer rating
Fourth Quarter: 40-71, 542 yards, 3 TDs, 1 INT, 89.1 passer rating
Play Action Pass: 23-36, 389 yards, 2 TD, 1 INT, 107.3 passer rating

He has 5 games with a QB rating 104.0 or better this year. He has had a foot injury for several weeks as well.

And as Matt Mosely (from ESPN) put it best: "Manning has spent his career in the best division in football -- and he's succeeded big time."

waggy
11-09-2009, 08:45 PM
He might be good on his best day. I think his brother is probably the only reason he's still in the game.

D-West & PO-Z
11-09-2009, 08:47 PM
He might be good on his best day. I think his brother is probably the only reason he's still in the game.

Ok, lol, now I know you just want me to get fired up but I wont let you get me there. I took the bait the first time, I am done.

waggy
11-09-2009, 10:43 PM
Well according to NFL.com team stats the Giants offensive line is 5th best in the league, and the rushing attack is top 10. Eli the quarterback however is rated just 13th.

D-West & PO-Z
11-09-2009, 10:47 PM
Well according to NFL.com team stats the Giants offensive line is 5th best in the league, and the rushing attack is top 10. Eli the quarterback however is rated just 13th.

Well clearly he should be thrown out of the league! If his name werent Manning he would be gone.

Guess who he is tied with? Carson Palmer.

Unfortuantely the last several weeks the Giants defesne has been torched (excluding the Chargers game) and caused the Giants to be in huge early holes where the Giants have to throw the ball and the defenses dont even have to respect the run. That spells disaster for any QB, espcially when ELI already has an extremely painful foot injury.

waggy
11-09-2009, 10:48 PM
If it weren't for all the built-in advantages he has, he would've crashed and burned. There is reason he didn't go to San Diego... He couldn't hack it.

D-West & PO-Z
11-09-2009, 10:52 PM
If it weren't for all the built-in advantages he has, he would've crashed and burned. There is reason he didn't go to San Diego... He couldn't hack it.

Ya, because he would have been in the feared AFC West! The worst division in football over the last 6 years.

waggy
11-09-2009, 10:57 PM
Man, you said it. No disagreement from me on your last points.

BENWAR
11-09-2009, 10:58 PM
Ya, because he would have been in the feared AFC West! The worst division in football over the last 6 years.

NFC west is pretty bad.

D-West & PO-Z
11-09-2009, 11:18 PM
NFC west is pretty bad.

But if you think about it, over the last 6 years they have had the Cardinals in the SB, the Seahawks in the SB, then niners were good in the very beginning.

But I agree overall the NFC West isnt good but better than the AFC West.

Jumpy
11-10-2009, 05:59 AM
Would most Bengals fans not agree? Would you take 5 straight losing seasons after this year if the Bengals won the SB this year?

This is a very good question and honestly worthy of it's own thread. Personally, I would not accept 5 staright losing seasons after a Super Bowl win. 5 years of mediocrity, with a couple of one-and-done playoff berths, yeah. But not 5 losing seasons.

This arguably has some truth to it. Before that play, Eli was largely viewed as shaping up to be a Trent Dilfer type QB. On his good days, he could manage a win. On his bad days, he would cost the team a win. It wasn't until that game, and specifically that play, that both the general outlook on Eli and his confidence both changed.