PDA

View Full Version : Moved--Is Musketeermadness.com dead?

Xu Red Dogg
01-28-2008, 08:51 PM
I am a former MM poster but have shifted all of my attention to this site. Between thier new design and countless errors I've grown pretty tired of it...

Are most people jumping over here totally, or are people splitting time so to speak?

Just curious. This is a terrific site.

XUglow
01-28-2008, 09:08 PM
I read it sometimes, but don't post over there. I went to the site in the middle of the day a while back. I noticed there were 0 members and 1 guest online at the time. I think that was me.

Muskie
01-28-2008, 09:09 PM
It's up in our links up top under Xavier Hoops (next to Official Resources). I've got nothing against MM. People should post where they like.

xufan22
01-28-2008, 09:10 PM
I don't really even check over there because it is a messed up site and seems like most posters are almost exclusively posting over here now.

PM Thor
01-28-2008, 09:29 PM
I am one of those that is to the point where I don't feel it necessary to denegrate MM. We all know how it is going over there. It isn't good. So why even harp on it, over and over?

It's not like I want to see them fail now. Because I really don't want to see them fail. I said that I did before, but I have had a change of heart. I honestly don't care. As Stoney has said, the creme will rise to the top. If MM is the better site, then so be it. I would migrate back there. But I haven't seen anything to make me want to do so. I do hate saying that though, because there are some great posters over there that I wish would come over here.

chico
01-28-2008, 09:56 PM
I'll check it from time to time because I still like to read the postings of some of the guys who are still over there, but haven't registered or posted there since the new site was set up. It does get a lot less visitors than before, which is too bad, but I guess sometimes change is a good thing.

BlueGuy
01-28-2008, 10:01 PM
I find myself going days w/ out looking at MM now. I haven't registered over there since the change over. Xavier Hoops is where it's at.

I enjoy reading what other have to say, and I chime in every once in a while. For that reason, I wish some of the guys from MM would come over here. It would be nice to have everyone back together. I think we're getting closer and closer to that happening over here.

D-West & PO-Z
01-28-2008, 10:59 PM
I look over there probably daily still, but dont post very often there. I do every once in a while if I have a strong opinion about a topic, but it is a lot different there now and not as much going on. I enjoy this site thoroughly although being a little hesitant at first because I am resistant to change.

XBR1
01-28-2008, 11:00 PM
MM blows. Gary's negative attitude drove a bunch of people I know away from that site. There were some great posters on that board, it is a shame it is in shambles.

Cheesehead
01-28-2008, 11:05 PM
I think people also want a site that is RELIABLE. I was on there earlier today and still got error messages and the site freezed up.

Lasser83
01-28-2008, 11:40 PM
I don't understand the animosity towards Gary. He's an avid X fan who's dedicated a lot of his time at policing MM. As any site administrator will honestly admit, it's a tough job. And it's a job that you don't get appreciation for.

So bottom line: LETS NOT BLAME GARY, a passionate X fan.

The problems with MM have nothing to do with Gary and everything to do with their inability to upgrade their site and handle more traffic.

PM Thor
01-29-2008, 12:15 AM
Lasser, let's be honest. A bunch of people have problems with the way Gary and the others moderate over there. Heck, I got banned on MM for something I said on a different board. I think that is messed up.

(But I will ban the first pickleknuckler who calls me an idiot on another board. IRON FIST!)

Lasser83
01-29-2008, 12:28 AM
I might be biassed. I kind of know Gary. And I know he is a good guy who is passionate about Xavier.

And I have posted many times on MM without any censorship from Gary.

that's all I know about Gary. But to me, the success of Xavierhoops stems from it being a great site. It's much better than MM.

And as I stated on MM recently, the people at Xavierhoop.com are trying much harder to be X's basketball board.

msj61
01-29-2008, 06:23 AM
What drove me away from MM was when someone (I believe it was Thor or GoMuskies??) started a thread in OT talking about all the problems with the board - mainly Shadow and "service unavailable". Shadow chimes in with, "Love it or leave it." What a douchebag!!!

Xu Red Dogg
01-29-2008, 06:42 AM
how long has this page been around?

Stonebreaker
01-29-2008, 06:59 AM
Frankly, talking about another board gets old. I say we move on, and all those who want to be here, God bless them.

BlueGuy
01-29-2008, 07:14 AM
Frankly, talking about another board gets old. I say we move on, and all those who want to be here, God bless them.

I think new members are discovering XavierHoops.com on a daily basis, and are excited about how sweet this place is. Kinda how we all were when we found it. They haven't had the chance to say how much more they like this place compared to MM.

I agree with you. We should give up on the MM bashing. However, I think it's gonna contiue for a little while longer, untill everyone has had a chance to come check this place out.

Stonebreaker
01-29-2008, 07:32 AM
I agree Blue Guy, I'm sure it's hard not to. However, I would appreciate keeping all this in one huge, never-ending MM thread. (yeah right, like that will happen). :)

XBR1
01-29-2008, 07:51 AM
I don't understand the animosity towards Gary. He's an avid X fan who's dedicated a lot of his time at policing MM. As any site administrator will honestly admit, it's a tough job. And it's a job that you don't get appreciation for.

So bottom line: LETS NOT BLAME GARY, a passionate X fan.

The problems with MM have nothing to do with Gary and everything to do with their inability to upgrade their site and handle more traffic.

Were you around last season on MM when Gary said that Sean should be replaced with Ron Everhart? Have you talked to any Xavier faculty that has looked at that board? Have you talked to any prominent donars to see their reaction to MM? I have and I will tell you that people at X and some big time money men have not been happy with the way things have been run and the negative attitude of the board.

Gary has been the king of negativity on the board, he will tell you this. It was so bad that some of the posters demanded that he change his name from admin because it was a bad reflection on the university and the web site.

I have never met Gary and I am sure that he is a nice guy but he runs a board like crap. I have no problem with people who criticize the team but he would start 15 threads after they lost just to bash the players and coach.

I also volunteered to help Gary, along with others that I know, but he siad he didn't want any help moderating the board. I would of had no problem being an admi of that site...I would have been better than the shadow.

X Factor
01-29-2008, 08:41 AM
Just thought I would say a word or two about this topic. I posted on MM for 5 years. My post count reset a few times for some reason, but I thought it was generally a good place.

The fueding between certain members and the host of other story lines was pretty entertaining.

It really was the only place to talk about Xavier basketball.

I hated that after a loss, it was impossible to log on and then the board would be overrun with trolls. The negativity was astounding.

There were and still are some great posters over there. Hopefully they will find their way over here.

I still check MM about once a day and I still enjoy Andy Mac's columns, but Xavierhoops is definitely my new home for Xavier basketball. I love this site. The layout and format is great.

GO MUSKIES!!

Kahns Krazy
01-29-2008, 10:33 AM
I haven't bothered to re-register after the switchover. I don't think it's a buisness, so it doesn't necessariy need to be run like one, but in life, if you're interested in keeping your clientelle around, in general, it's not a great move to lock them all out and tell them to re-apply for keys.

I did have a problem with some of the negativity, but that is how I choose to live my life. Negative people in general rub me the wrong way.

I have heard from more than one source that the message board negativity was mentioned in our last two coaches departures. I doubt that it changed anything one way or the other - both of them wound up in excellent jobs that would have been very tough to turn down, but the fact that they are even aware of it is a little embarrasing.

boozehound
01-29-2008, 11:52 AM
I'm a little surprised that the coaches read the message boards. I wonder if the players do too. Personally, I much prefer the attitude over here, as well as the way that the boards are set up. I doubt that I will look at musketeermadness much anymore. It seems like almost all the users over there are migrating over here.

D-West & PO-Z
01-29-2008, 11:54 AM
I haven't bothered to re-register after the switchover. I don't think it's a buisness, so it doesn't necessariy need to be run like one, but in life, if you're interested in keeping your clientelle around, in general, it's not a great move to lock them all out and tell them to re-apply for keys.

I did have a problem with some of the negativity, but that is how I choose to live my life. Negative people in general rub me the wrong way.

I have heard from more than one source that the message board negativity was mentioned in our last two coaches departures. I doubt that it changed anything one way or the other - both of them wound up in excellent jobs that would have been very tough to turn down, but the fact that they are even aware of it is a little embarrasing.

They may have heard about it, but lets be honest, any major coach who would let the opinions and irrational statements of fans on a message board, mostly right after a loss, be a deciding factor in leaving the school is crazy. The last 2 coaches left the school for much more money and bigger conferences, not because of MM. Coaches can be I'm sure turned off by negativity in the media, especially when not warranted, but if they are affected by negativity on a message board they have something wrong with them.

Billy
01-29-2008, 12:02 PM
They may have heard about it, but lets be honest, any major coach who would let the opinions and irrational statements of fans on a message board, mostly right after a loss, be a deciding factor in leaving the school is crazy. The last 2 coaches left the school for much more money and bigger conferences, not because of MM. Coaches can be I'm sure turned off by negativity in the media, especially when not warranted, but if they are affected by negativity on a message board they have something wrong with them.

Yea, what he said.

Xavier hasn't cornered the market (not by a longshot) on people posting negative items on a message board.

Frankly, I don't want a coach who is so thin-skinned to criticism that it effects his decision making. And there's no way that I believe guys like Matta and Prosser were pushed out by message board opinion. They're both smarter than that.

Besides, coaches are the last people who should be sensitive to criticism...considering the way they dish it out for a living.

nuts4xu
01-29-2008, 12:06 PM
I had my issues on MM, but couldn't find a decent alternative. I've wanted to leave that site for a while now, but couldn't find a good replacement. This board has provided the forum, as well as the features many have asked for ad nauseum for years on MM.

I have no issues with Gary. He may be negative, but sometimes that is needed to counter the positive. He wore on me at times, but in general, I found his posts to be entertaining. I didn't and still do not harbor any ill will towards GG--he is not the problem with that board. He didn't delete posts for willy nilly reasons. The Shadow was, and still is the worst. He is a crotchety old man that gets off on wielding the little power provided to him by MM.

I have registered on MM to prevent frauds, but I have yet to post. I will read from time to time but that is about it. I have a new job now, with less free time, and don't have time to post as much as I used to. Therefore, my attention is focused on this board right now.

American X
01-29-2008, 12:08 PM
nuts4poodles,

I'm dinging your reputation for that avatar.

Raoul Duke
01-29-2008, 12:10 PM
What the hell do you have against Jerry?

msj61
01-29-2008, 12:13 PM
I'm a little surprised that the coaches read the message boards. I wonder if the players do too. Personally, I much prefer the attitude over here, as well as the way that the boards are set up. I doubt that I will look at musketeermadness much anymore. It seems like almost all the users over there are migrating over here.

Players, coaches, and recruits read the boards. Chris Mack posted on MM a while back in regards to scheduling, Kenny Frease mentioned that he saw a video of Cheeks dunking on a Xavier message board, and one would have to be extremely naive to think that the players aren't reading as well.

ATL Muskie
01-29-2008, 12:14 PM
I don't understand why Shadow continues to be a mod over there. He must have compromising photos of the Skeldons. Shadow always said love it or leave it. I am glad to leave it b/c we finally have a very good alternative. Consumer choice at its finest.

I will accept reputation dings for my avatar as well.

DC Muskie
01-29-2008, 12:18 PM
When one board becomes about one or two guys, that board is destined to fail. However, if that said board revolved around me, then said board would be an awesome place to hang out.

Hopefully this board will be all about me.

American X
01-29-2008, 12:18 PM
What the hell do you have against Jerry?

His disgusting, dirty picture there.

Contrast with waggy's or Billy's avatar.

As to the topic, Shadow is a dick.

BBC 08
01-29-2008, 12:23 PM
I mentioned it in another thread about MM, but here is more proof Shadow is a joke. He openly questioned someone posting concerns regarding the SLU game (it was legitimate concernts, no flaming or baiting) because they were posting from a computer on UC's campus. Let me repeate that, he was questioning someone because they posted on UC campus. That right there is a sign of someone who is reaching for straws.

XUglow
01-29-2008, 12:30 PM
When I first signed up for MM in 2003, it was a lot of fun. Gary was negative at times, but he wasn't the only person that was frustrated about things, and varied opinions don't bother me much. Gary is more than fine, and I like him and thought he added a lot to the site. It was when Shadow really started turning the screws down that most people started getting really negative about the place, and it became as much about what he was doing as it was about the topics.

Raoul Duke
01-29-2008, 12:40 PM
His disgusting, dirty picture there.

Contrast with waggy's or Billy's avatar.

As to the topic, Shadow is a dick.

Fair enough. Joebba also has a good one.

Stonebreaker
01-29-2008, 12:41 PM
I don't understand why Shadow continues to be a mod over there. He must have compromising photos of the Skeldons. Shadow always said love it or leave it. I am glad to leave it b/c we finally have a very good alternative. Consumer choice at its finest.

I will accept reputation dings for my avatar as well.

You should not only accept it, but expect it. LOL

(I'm starting to think this thread should belong in the Smackdown forum)

GoMuskies
01-29-2008, 12:41 PM
[QUOTE=nuts4xu;7582] I didn't and still do not harbor any ill will towards GG--he is not the problem with that board.... The Shadow was[QUOTE]

Agreed. Nothing wrong with Gary. I wish he'd come on board. I think Gary got a bad rap because a lot of people were under the impression that it was his board, which it was not. I think he got blamed for a lot of The Shadow's terrible decisions.

The Shadow, on the other hand, was a complete waste.

OX09
01-29-2008, 01:04 PM
I have to admit I miss the Andy Mac articles from mm...

SM#24
01-29-2008, 01:06 PM
I have to admit I miss the Andy Mac articles from mm...
I believe you can still read them w/o registering

SM#24
01-29-2008, 01:21 PM
As far as MM, if you did one of those polls and listed all things that people felt were wrong with it and asked people to check all that they feel apply:
#1 would be Shadow
#2 & #3 would be the negativity of GG and the overall performance of the board

GG is actually a good moderator but most people get tired of his constant negativity with regards to the program. Not only is he negative, but he pretty much acts as the defender of all those negative about the XU program. Yes, he is an XU fan and an LHSer, but he has an odd way of expressing it, and especially goes overboard in the heat of the moment.

XUglow
01-29-2008, 03:52 PM
I believe you can still read them w/o registering

I think he is talking about the Andy Mac articles about women's basketball that he never wrote.

XBR1
01-29-2008, 03:55 PM
As far as MM, if you did one of those polls and listed all things that people felt were wrong with it and asked people to check all that they feel apply:
#1 would be Shadow
#2 & #3 would be the negativity of GG and the overall performance of the board

GG is actually a good moderator but most people get tired of his constant negativity with regards to the program. Not only is he negative, but he pretty much acts as the defender of all those negative about the XU program. Yes, he is an XU fan and an LHSer, but he has an odd way of expressing it, and especially goes overboard in the heat of the moment.

Well said.

SM#24
01-29-2008, 04:05 PM
I think he is talking about the Andy Mac articles about women's basketball that he never wrote.

I've always enjoyed Andy's articles on the girls team, they make for a quick read.

Kahns Krazy
01-29-2008, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z

Yea, what he said.

Xavier hasn't cornered the market (not by a longshot) on people posting negative items on a message board.

Frankly, I don't want a coach who is so thin-skinned to criticism that it effects his decision making. And there's no way that I believe guys like Matta and Prosser were pushed out by message board opinion. They're both smarter than that.

Besides, coaches are the last people who should be sensitive to criticism...considering the way they dish it out for a living.

If you actually read my post, I never said that the coaches were pushed out, or that the board was a "deciding factor". I merely mentioned that the coaches are aware of it, and the awareness was that it was negative. If there were a message board about your job, and it was all about how bad of a job you were doing, and someone came along and said, "We disagree, and we'd like to give you more money", you'd probably be more inclined to think about it.

Anyone who doesn't think that every player and coach reads the boards, at least from time to time, is insane.

Matta was going to take the Ohio State job no matter what. Wake was probably one of Skip's top 5 choices. However, I am led to believe by people very close to the decision process that Skip probably would have considered other jobs had that one not been offered to him. I'm just relaying what I have heard.

Poz, it wasn't jsut "irrational statements after a loss". If you were around for Skip's final couple years, there was a very vocal group that was anti-Skip, win or lose. In the summer, they were anti Skip for scheduling and recruiting.

GoMuskies
01-29-2008, 04:35 PM
I wasn't anti-Skip, but I wasn't pro-Skip, either by the end. He did a great job transitioning us towards the big-time, but I was definitely pleased that he decided to leave.

Matta never seemed to forget that a few jackasses gave him a hard time after the St. Joe's game. He was royalty for about 35 of the 36 months he was at Xavier, so I don't really think he had much to complain about (though he clearly held a grudge).

In any event, Musketeer Madness wasn't negative toward either guy. Frankly, MM didn't even exist when Prosser was coaching at Xavier, and the main board at that time I believe had a banner proclaiming him the Jedi. There were some negative things said about Matta in '04, but it wasn't an over-the-top unusual level of vitriol by messageboard standards. Especially since the worst of it with Matta actually occurred in person. If either of those guys were really upset about the way they were treated by Xavier's online fanbase, they probably had rude awakenings at their new jobs.

D-West & PO-Z
01-29-2008, 04:36 PM
If you actually read my post, I never said that the coaches were pushed out, or that the board was a "deciding factor". I merely mentioned that the coaches are aware of it, and the awareness was that it was negative. If there were a message board about your job, and it was all about how bad of a job you were doing, and someone came along and said, "We disagree, and we'd like to give you more money", you'd probably be more inclined to think about it.

Anyone who doesn't think that every player and coach reads the boards, at least from time to time, is insane.

Matta was going to take the Ohio State job no matter what. Wake was probably one of Skip's top 5 choices. However, I am led to believe by people very close to the decision process that Skip probably would have considered other jobs had that one not been offered to him. I'm just relaying what I have heard.

Poz, it wasn't jsut "irrational statements after a loss". If you were around for Skip's final couple years, there was a very vocal group that was anti-Skip, win or lose. In the summer, they were anti Skip for scheduling and recruiting.

I dont care where you go, no one is going to agree with everything you do as a coach, there will always be some criticism. I guarantee you negativity on MM had nothing to do with any coach leaving XU. Its all about the Benjamins baby.

D-West & PO-Z
01-29-2008, 04:39 PM
If Miami(OH), Bowling Green, Marshall, Boise State, Western Kentucky, any of those teams came along to offer Skip, he would have said NO. Skip may have accepted or considered other offers, but not for less money than he was getting, it would have been from a different Big 6 school.

Kahns Krazy
01-29-2008, 04:47 PM
I dont care where you go, no one is going to agree with everything you do as a coach, there will always be some criticism. I guarantee you negativity on MM had nothing to do with any coach leaving XU. Its all about the Benjamins baby.

How can you "guarantee" that? Did you speak with our former coaches and ask them specifically? If you knew Skip at all, you would know that it was never all about the Benjamins. He was well compensated, certainly, but that was not how he judged his success.

Kahns Krazy
01-29-2008, 04:59 PM
In any event, Musketeer Madness wasn't negative toward either guy. Frankly, MM didn't even exist when Prosser was coaching at Xavier, and the main board at that time I believe had a banner proclaiming him the Jedi.

Since all records of that original Musketeer Madness have been erased, it's pointless to debate our recollections of the board. However, Musketeer Madness has existed since at least 1998.

GoMuskies
01-29-2008, 05:02 PM
Maybe that's true, but I didn't think it was actually used as the main messageboard until 2001. I thought Snipe pulled the plug on the Roundtable after the less than stellar ending of the Prosser era and everyone migrated to MM at that point. But I could be mistaken.

Xu Red Dogg
01-29-2008, 05:28 PM
I hate to reask this because I am sure 90% of the people have seen this question before, but how long has this board been open for?

GoMuskies
01-29-2008, 05:30 PM
Essentially, about a month.

xeus
01-29-2008, 05:34 PM
I hate to reask this because I am sure 90% of the people have seen this question before, but how long has this board been open for?

Technically since June/July 2007, but the mass migration began Jan 10, 2008.

Stonebreaker
01-29-2008, 05:44 PM
I've been a member since September of '07, so I wouldn't agree with the month quotation. I will say alot of new members have come on board recently, but that should not detract from those who were here before.

X-band '01
01-29-2008, 06:36 PM
Technically since June/July 2007, but the mass migration began Jan 10, 2008.

Why do I get the feeling that this comment could be twisted into a legal/illegal immigrant rant in the near future?

Stonebreaker
01-29-2008, 06:39 PM
Don't feel bad, you'll still get all the entitlements afforded to previously naturalized members.

Muskie
01-29-2008, 06:42 PM
My records indicate that this place opened for official business on June 27, 2007.

BlueGuy
01-29-2008, 06:56 PM
Just in case anyone is keeping score. Reason # 527 why XavierHoops.com is better than MusketeerMadness.com: Joe Lunardi (http://www.xavierhoops.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1238)

BBC 08
01-29-2008, 07:47 PM
I agree with you BlueGuy. Having an outsider come in and ask questions puts XH miles a head of MM.

joebba
01-29-2008, 07:52 PM
Wow. Active thread today. I do think the attitude over here is a bit lighter. I like the section for smack talk. Hopefully that will go a long way toward keeping the trolls off of the legitimate threads.

D-West & PO-Z
01-29-2008, 10:10 PM
How can you "guarantee" that? Did you speak with our former coaches and ask them specifically? If you knew Skip at all, you would know that it was never all about the Benjamins. He was well compensated, certainly, but that was not how he judged his success.

Its just part of the job. You cant please everyone all the time. None of those guys have gone undefeated, I'm sure some people were upset after a loss, had something they disagreed with, etc. Not even Roy Williams while at Kansas was spared because he didnt win a National Championship there, Jim Boheim was the guy who couldnt win the big one at Syracuse before Melo came around. Coaches are scrutinized everywhere, not just XU. I guarantee people scrutinized Skip at Wake Forest after that 2nd round loss when they were the #2 seed with Chris Paul.

msj61
01-30-2008, 07:34 AM
Maybe that's true, but I didn't think it was actually used as the main messageboard until 2001. I thought Snipe pulled the plug on the Roundtable after the less than stellar ending of the Prosser era and everyone migrated to MM at that point. But I could be mistaken.

The roundtable was accessed through MM. Instead of clicking on what is now "chatboard", you clicked on "roundtable". That board was absolutely brutal towards Skip....specifically that his teams played awful halfcourt offense/defense and players weren't developing as they should have.

Smails
01-30-2008, 09:06 AM
I don't post over there anymore, nor have i re-registered. I tried to but somebody took my name...WTF? I left that board for one reason and one reason only S_H_A_D_O_W. Look up dickhead in the dictionary and right next to DC Muskie you'll see shadow's photo

Kahns Krazy
01-30-2008, 09:25 AM
Its just part of the job. You cant please everyone all the time. None of those guys have gone undefeated, I'm sure some people were upset after a loss, had something they disagreed with, etc. Not even Roy Williams while at Kansas was spared because he didnt win a National Championship there, Jim Boheim was the guy who couldnt win the big one at Syracuse before Melo came around. Coaches are scrutinized everywhere, not just XU. I guarantee people scrutinized Skip at Wake Forest after that 2nd round loss when they were the #2 seed with Chris Paul.

Criticism is one thing. I'm wondering if you even saw what that board was like.

As I said in my initial post, I believe that Skip would have gone to Wake and Thad to OSU regardless of what was said on the boards. However, if people continue to behave on message boards as though the people they are talking about aren't real people, eventually you're going to see a player or coach or recruit decide that they aren't appreciated here and move on because of what is said here. Maybe it has already happened, you never know.

GoMuskies
01-30-2008, 09:27 AM
specifically that his teams played awful halfcourt offense/defense and players weren't developing as they should have.

What about that wasn't true?

muethibp
01-30-2008, 10:04 AM
I haven't bothered to re-register over at MM. The moderators over there were absolutely out of control. Quite simply, a board like this needs very, very, very little moderation. If someone posts something stupid, people should just let it be, it's the internet for goodness sakes. This site is far more stable, better features, and the moderators are much more relaxed.

nuts4xu
01-30-2008, 11:16 AM
nuts4poodles,

I'm dinging your reputation for that avatar.

Is this better?

You shouldn't bad mouth Jerry. It is bad karma. He is a little furry in my previous avatar, but nothing shows him being "dirty".

American X
01-30-2008, 12:12 PM
Much better. Good work.

Fred Garvin
01-31-2008, 06:07 PM
I've been a member since September of '07, so I wouldn't agree with the month quotation. I will say alot of new members have come on board recently, but that should not detract from those who were here before.

Stonie and friends were here first. But it wasn't until the 10th when I discovered this place. Everyone followed thereafter. I'm kinda the pied piper of message boards.

blobfan
01-31-2008, 07:21 PM
Is this better?

You shouldn't bad mouth Jerry. It is bad karma. He is a little furry in my previous avatar, but nothing shows him being "dirty".

I like Jerry better. It's harder to visit the site at work when people have avatars like your new one. I have to skip threads that joebba posts on for fear someone might see my screen and wonder what the heck I'm up to.

I suppose that's a good thing, though.

vee4xu
01-31-2008, 08:18 PM
I have been an ardant defender of MM because it is where my posting career began over 5 years ago. I will not ever bad mouth the board because I have a ton of great memories from over the years. As some of you here know, I was a holdout in coming to this board.

As many here know, my pet peeve was that trolls were allowed to basically roam free while our own were banned for silly reasons. The other event that I think really hurt MM was when they dissallowed most (if not all) pictures. So many of the pictures posted on that site created levity and fun, which was good especially during those rare times that the team we love was struggling.

As to the moderators, I like both Mr. Neutral and muskieman. I've met Gary and have exchanged e-mails several times with him. He is a good guy. I have no dislike for Shadow personally, but he really was the one moderator that put a crimp on posters. I really am not going to attempt an amatuer psychoanalysis of a retired guy who rides around the counrty in an RV, editing a chatboard from a wireless computer while sipping lattes at Starbucks. I don't get it and certainly have no interest in spending my retirement years doing that.

I think the Skeldons were possibly taking heat from XU. In creating MM they entered a new frontier in a medium that was popular and because of that was monitored to some degree by the school. I know that first hand based on a telephone conversation I had with Jay Skeldon shortly after I joined MM.

I think that MM was the victim of early success and reactions that it had toward some posters who were key elements to that success. The crackdown that was imposed a year or so ago, was really the beginning of the end for MM. I wanted in the worst way for the "old days" to re-appear on MM. But, they didn't and based on what I see on this board, they never will again.

I will never totally abandon MM. I am registered there and will continue to both read threads and post there. I will do likewise here. For the short time I have been registered here, it is obvious that the environment is much more relaxed and fun. Hopefully, it will stay that way even if the administration becomes more aware of it and tries to flex it's muscles by "suggesting" that certain actions be taken to curtail one activity or another.

One regret that I have about this board (and a reason why I will not ever totally abandon MM) is that wkrq59 isn't here. At least, I don't think he is. I admire the hell out of that guy. He brings a sense of dignity and history to his posts that I use as a measuring stick for me. I can never bring to a board what 59 does, but my goal is always to try.

So, I now have two boards to peruse, but very limited time to do so. Yet it will do my best. I am glad to be here. As they say, "New friends are silver, but old friends are golden." I consider that I have old friends on both boards. That makes me feel pretty fortuante.

Muskie
01-31-2008, 08:23 PM
Vee... thanks for th kind words. Like i said earlier in this post, I think people should post wherever they want. I'm mindful that X keeps an eye on these sites, so It's definitely something that will play into the development of this site. However, the goal is to keep it fun around here.