PDA

View Full Version : College Football - Week 8

XUglow
10-22-2009, 11:58 AM
OK, let's get this puppy rolling.

Only 1 game this week involving 2 ranked teams. TCU is going to BYU in a game that will have BCS gurus cheering on BYU. Boise State is going to crash the party unless they toss a piston. I think the BCS powers are thinking that one outsider is plenty, and I think BYU is going to bail them out on this one.

OK, Oklahoma and Kansas are both ranked if you look at the right poll, but I am not sure why. I wonder if OU will still be ranked if they drop to 3-4. Probably... with an outside shot at a BCS bowl to boot.

Lane Kiffin leads the Vols into Bama for the first time. After drubbing UGA, he is feeling pretty cocky. Bama is in bad need of a good QB, and Monte Kiffin's defense isn't going to help, but Bama is too strong at home.

Auburn continues their slide at LSU. Ole Miss's Houston Nutt welcomes his old team, Arkansas, and wins. Miss. St's Dan Mullen welcomes his old team, Florida, and loses.

Texas goes to Mizzou, and I think the Tigers give them problems for 3 quarters then fail.

In the Big Ten, the state of Michigan has all of the action this week, and I am looking for both home schools to cover if not win their games outright.

Snoozefest on the west coast. Cal has Washington State, which means that my Bears can stay out of total hibernation for at least another week.

boozehound
10-22-2009, 12:13 PM
I think that is is a pretty boring week for College Football. I am interested in Michigan - Penn State and Tennessee - Bama. I also want to see how Pryor looks against Minnesota. I will be rooting for him to have another game like he had at Purdue.

xudash
10-22-2009, 03:12 PM
I think that is is a pretty boring week for College Football. I am interested in Michigan - Penn State and Tennessee - Bama. I also want to see how Pryor looks against Minnesota. I will be rooting for him to have another game like he had at Purdue.

I used to like you.

Juice
10-22-2009, 04:01 PM
In honor of D-West's and Booze's spat, I would also like to add that the ND-BC game is this weekend as well. BC is kind of schizo this year but they always seem to show up when they play Notre Dame so I think this will be a good game.

XUglow
10-22-2009, 04:09 PM
In honor of D-West's and Booze's spat, I would also like to add that the ND-BC game is this weekend as well. BC is kind of schizo this year but they always seem to show up when they play Notre Dame so I think this will be a good game.

I avoided that game on purpose. Thanks a lot.

gladdenguy
10-22-2009, 04:26 PM

Like you, boozehound, I am a huge Michigan fan, but I find myself this year, rooting hard for Ohio St for the first time in my life because of all these obnoxious UC blowhards who have played nobody and think they can beat Ohio St.
That is why they lost to Purdue last week...because I was rooting for him.
I hope Pryor has a good game and they roll Minnesota, win the rest of their games until the Michigan game.
We'll see.

GoMuskies
10-22-2009, 04:31 PM
If Purdue can beat Ohio State, UC could beat Ohio State.

Since they don't play, it's rather a moot point (I personally think UC has the better team).

boozehound
10-22-2009, 04:45 PM

I would be excited for that game too, if either one of those teams were decent.

I'm 1/2 kidding about that. ND - BC could very well be an interesting game. I would expect ND to roll them, but BC could surprise. I do think that ND is probably a top 25 team when all is said and done, I just think that they are close to 20-25 than 10-15.

I also can't stand Clausen or Weis. Those are the 2 things that keep me from rooting for ND again. I want to root for ND, I just can't seem to do it.

boozehound
10-22-2009, 04:48 PM
Like you, boozehound, I am a huge Michigan fan, but I find myself this year, rooting hard for Ohio St for the first time in my life because of all these obnoxious UC blowhards who have played nobody and think they can beat Ohio St.
That is why they lost to Purdue last week...because I was rooting for him.
I hope Pryor has a good game and they roll Minnesota, win the rest of their games until the Michigan game.
We'll see.

I don't know. It is kind of sweet for me to see Pryor struggle, after how in-your-face OSU fans were about him choosing Ohio State over Michigan. He would probably be doing a lot better in Michigan's offense.

Also, serious question to OSU fans, what are your options after Pryor? Is there another good QB in the wings, or do you have to recruit one?

waggy
10-22-2009, 06:10 PM
Georgia Tech is knocking on the BCS door. Must win game at Virginia.

xudash
10-22-2009, 06:57 PM
I don't know. It is kind of sweet for me to see Pryor struggle, after how in-your-face OSU fans were about him choosing Ohio State over Michigan. He would probably be doing a lot better in Michigan's offense.

Also, serious question to OSU fans, what are your options after Pryor? Is there another good QB in the wings, or do you have to recruit one?

Frankly, I don't know who they have behind him.

I haven't given up on him. In fact, while I'm fine with Tressell, I believe he needs to replace his O Coordinator and D Coordinator with 21st Century thinkers.

Up and down the line in the Big Ten, all I see are teams that are preparing for their annual slaughters in bowl games, coming down this way to play close to palm trees, where they stand along the sideline during the games, wondering why their opponents run and pass up and down the field on them in hyper-speed.

gladdenguy
10-22-2009, 08:55 PM

I guess in hindsight he would have been in a better situation in Maize and Blue. Also, maybe Michigan wouldn't have went 3-9 last year because their defense was better last year. We'll never know.
He would have also been better fit at Penn State but he didn't want to sit behind Darryl Clark.
I don't feel bad for him though. Maybe Lebron can pump him up for the Gophers.

vee4xu
10-22-2009, 09:44 PM
My prediction is that you can't have enough points if you pick Minnesota versus OSU this weekend. The Buckeyes will drub Minnesota. The coaching staff, Pryor and the OSU defense will each be locked in this week.

vee4xu
10-22-2009, 09:48 PM
The only real alternative this year dash is Bauserman. Next year, Scott Graham's son will be a freshman, but he is a pocket passer a la Boeckman. But, it is all moot. Tressel has said he has never considered benching Pryor and will not consider benching him. Pryor is the guy unless he gets hurt.

xudash
10-22-2009, 11:55 PM
The only real alternative this year dash is Bauserman. Next year, Scott Graham's son will be a freshman, but he is a pocket passer a la Boeckman. But, it is all moot. Tressel has said he has never considered benching Pryor and will not consider benching him. Pryor is the guy unless he gets hurt.

Am I off about Tressel's immediate staff vee? What is your opinion on that.

boozehound
10-23-2009, 07:25 AM

Wow. Just how long do you let a guy struggle before you consider going another way? I'm not necessarily saying it is time to bench Pryor now, but if he finishes the season poorly I think that Tressel should at least open up the competition.

GoMuskies
10-23-2009, 07:53 AM
Hard to believe UNC is winless in the pedestrian (to be kind) ACC. I guess Butch Davis can start working that top 10 recruiting class into the rotation and get ready for next year, because they're done.

XUglow
10-23-2009, 08:54 AM
Hard to believe UNC is winless in the pedestrian (to be kind) ACC. I guess Butch Davis can start working that top 10 recruiting class into the rotation and get ready for next year, because they're done.

I don't understand some football coaches. UNC is just gashing FSU for 10 to 25 yards a play by running around the ends, and they decide to start throwing the ball with a pretty weak passer. Interception. 98-yard pass play. Boom! FSU is back in the game. UNC deserves to be 0 for whatever with that kind of play calling.

XUglow
10-23-2009, 09:02 AM
BTW. Has anyone noticed that the #1 team in Division 2 is North Alabama? They are absolutely crushing their competition, and they are coached by Terry Bowden.

X-band '01
10-23-2009, 11:40 AM
How long has Terry been coaching at the D-II level? We are talking about a guy who did have an unbeaten season at Auburn at one point, if I'm not mistaken.

XUglow
10-23-2009, 12:02 PM
How long has Terry been coaching at the D-II level? We are talking about a guy who did have an unbeaten season at Auburn at one point, if I'm not mistaken.

He started this year. He has been an analyst on ABC football since he left Auburn. He was pretty good at Auburn, but he got in trouble for banging the top booster's wife. He was struggling a bit on the field because of reduced scholarships from a probation from Pat Dye's tenure, but he obviously knew what he was doing.

xudash
10-23-2009, 09:33 PM
He started this year. He has been an analyst on ABC football since he left Auburn. He was pretty good at Auburn, but he got in trouble for banging the top booster's wife. He was struggling a bit on the field because of reduced scholarships from a probation from Pat Dye's tenure, but he obviously knew what he was doing.

It's beyond obvious that it isn't appropriate under any circumstances, but, for the love of God, with all the recruiting trips that are made, stay away from the local or Auburn-centric pickings - especially power-alley - and douche it up on the road.

vee4xu
10-24-2009, 02:58 PM
Am I off about Tressel's immediate staff vee? What is your opinion on that.

dash, you are not off when it comes to defense. Heacock is the D-coordinator and he was with Tress at YSU. Also, his brother Dick Tressel has and I think still does coaching the RB's. If not, he is an inner circle guy on the staff. The offense has one very big YSU connection, Jim Tressel. He needs to hire an O-coordinator. One of Tress' biggest attributes is also one of his biggest faults: Loyalty.

vee4xu
10-24-2009, 02:59 PM
My prediction is that you can't have enough points if you pick Minnesota versus OSU this weekend. The Buckeyes will drub Minnesota. The coaching staff, Pryor and the OSU defense will each be locked in this week.

You can book it!!

waggy
10-24-2009, 07:28 PM
Golly Penn State really laid the wood to the Wolverines. Doesn't seem like Rodriguez knows who he wants at quarterback.

Fred Garvin
10-24-2009, 11:02 PM
Golly Penn State really laid the wood to the Wolverines. Doesn't seem like Rodriguez knows who he wants at quarterback.

yeah, that was tragic. But RichRod has the opposition where he wants them. At least to hear UM fans.

Michigan fans have deluded themselves into thinking the more they lose, the better they'll be next year. I figure three more losses and they'll be favored to win next year's national title.

GuyFawkes38
10-24-2009, 11:09 PM
yeah, that was tragic. But RichRod has the opposition where he wants them. At least to hear UM fans.

Michigan fans have deluded themselves into thinking the more they lose, the better they'll be next year. I figure three more losses and they'll be favored to win next year's national title.

I can't wait until Kelly bolts.

Fred Garvin
10-24-2009, 11:26 PM
I can't wait until Kelly bolts.

How about my Cats? Have we got Catitude or what? We run the Big East with an iron fist. You better smell the glove. We are the Big East flagship. The standard bearers. Kelly is an offensive mastermind. Tonight we rode!

GuyFawkes38
10-25-2009, 01:12 AM
How about my Cats? Have we got Catitude or what? We run the Big East with an iron fist. You better smell the glove. We are the Big East flagship. The standard bearers. Kelly is an offensive mastermind. Tonight we rode!

yeah, ugghhhh, it's sort of hard to disagree. I did want Michigan to hire Kelly (really, knowing how awesome he was at C. Mich., I did....MSU also turned him down). I do still think Rod will turn out well.

XUglow
10-25-2009, 10:23 AM
OK, assessment of my thread.

OK, let's get this puppy rolling.

Only 1 game this week involving 2 ranked teams. TCU is going to BYU in a game that will have BCS gurus cheering on BYU. Boise State is going to crash the party unless they toss a piston. I think the BCS powers are thinking that one outsider is plenty, and I think BYU is going to bail them out on this one.

Oops. TCU is at least as good as Florida State -- maybe even better.

OK, Oklahoma and Kansas are both ranked if you look at the right poll, but I am not sure why. I wonder if OU will still be ranked if they drop to 3-4. Probably... with an outside shot at a BCS bowl to boot.

Oklahoma bails out the voters. They will be back to #20 this week.

Lane Kiffin leads the Vols into Bama for the first time. After drubbing UGA, he is feeling pretty cocky. Bama is in bad need of a good QB, and Monte Kiffin's defense isn't going to help, but Bama is too strong at home.

Great game by UT. Bama relaxed too soon. Boy, do they need a QB. Bama fans owe any NC chance to Mt. Cody.

Auburn continues their slide at LSU. Ole Miss's Houston Nutt welcomes his old team, Arkansas, and wins. Miss. St's Dan Mullen welcomes his old team, Florida, and loses.

Check. Check. Check.

Texas goes to Mizzou, and I think the Tigers give them problems for 3 quarters then fail.

Oops. Way wrong. Nebraska beat Mizzou at Mizzou. What was I thinking?

In the Big Ten, the state of Michigan has all of the action this week, and I am looking for both home schools to cover if not win their games outright.

One cover in a heart-breaker. One awful performance. Looks like the Rich Rod rebuilding project is going to take longer than first predicted. Did you see the UM coaches yelling at each other during the game?

Snoozefest on the west coast. Cal has Washington State, which means that my Bears can stay out of total hibernation for at least another week.

I was right about Cal, but I missed out on USC vs. Oregon State. Anything but a snoozer. Never thought USC's D would get torched like that.

GoMuskies
10-25-2009, 02:38 PM
TCU is at least as good as Florida State -- maybe even better.

The mother of all backhanded compliments for a team ranked in the top 10?

boozehound
10-26-2009, 10:33 AM

Michigan will win (another) national title before UC does.

Want to talk about delusional? You guys had a great year last year and are having a great year this year, but lets not act like UC is suddenly a top program. You still have a lot to prove. Winning a weak Big East conference and then getting shellacked in the Orange Bowl by the winner of a weak ACC conference isn't exactly the stuff of legend.

Michigan has a lot of reason to think that they will be better next year. They are competing (except for the Penn State game, and who has UC beaten that is better than Penn State?) with a team that is loaded with Freshman and Sophmores, with a True freshman QB and guys playing out of position anywhere. It is almost ridiculous to think that we won't be much better next year.

EDIT: I forgot you were an OSU fan, not a UC fan. Still, you guys did lost to Purdue, and I would be surprised if OSU finishes the season without another loss. I would argue that Michigan has as much or more reason to be excited about next year than OSU. Are you going to stick with Pryor? If not, who plays QB? Even in the drubbing of Minnesota yesterday Pryor did not look like a good QB...

Kahns Krazy
10-26-2009, 10:56 AM
Everytime someone takes the UC smack seriously, I giggle. I go to the games with my UC-grad girlfriend. I know a lot of UC football fans. Most of them solidly believe that even running the schedule - which is still less than a 50/50 prop, gives them an outside shot at earning the right to get their asses handed to them in a championship game.

Are they the most improved team in the BCS conferences in the last 5 years? Very possibly. Is it in part because of the 50 pounds of suck they carried in a 10 pound bag for decades? You betcha.

UC fans are excited for good reason. Coach Kelly is outstanding, and the team is fun to watch.

I also think it's interesting that a lot of the arguments that are used against UC football are just as valid against Xavier basketball, and that as a smaller school on the way up, I'm amused at the way X fans will use the same arguments that have been used for years against us.

boozehound
10-26-2009, 11:04 AM
Everytime someone takes the UC smack seriously, I giggle. I go to the games with my UC-grad girlfriend. I know a lot of UC football fans. Most of them solidly believe that even running the schedule - which is still less than a 50/50 prop, gives them an outside shot at earning the right to get their asses handed to them in a championship game.

Are they the most improved team in the BCS conferences in the last 5 years? Very possibly. Is it in part because of the 50 pounds of suck they carried in a 10 pound bag for decades? You betcha.

UC fans are excited for good reason. Coach Kelly is outstanding, and the team is fun to watch.

I also think it's interesting that a lot of the arguments that are used against UC football are just as valid against Xavier basketball, and that as a smaller school on the way up, I'm amused at the way X fans will use the same arguments that have been used for years against us.

Valid. (more characters)

gladdenguy
10-26-2009, 01:10 PM
Please somebody on UC's football schedule stop this nonsense, beat the crap out of the bearkittens, and shut these people up.
I love the UC fans who are upset that they get jumped in the BCS standings. Every team ahead of them in the BCS standings would beat them, and they have a better resume. Quite simple to me.