PDA

View Full Version : Terry's Turf Club

Kahns Krazy
01-28-2008, 04:59 PM
Have you guys been to this joint yet? Delicious burgers. Juiciest I've ever had. I understand they just jacked the prices up though.

I also had a chance to get back to the Quat recently. That is also a very good burger.

XU 87
01-28-2008, 05:01 PM
I had a few beers there about two weeks ago. Great place. I didn't eat anything but I heard the food is great.

Kahns Krazy
01-28-2008, 05:25 PM
I want to make a grunt sculpture in that men's room that has no door.

xeus
01-28-2008, 06:15 PM
Where is it?

XU 87
01-28-2008, 06:23 PM
It's on Eastern Avenue, a few hundred yards west of the old Our Lady of Loretta church. Take Linwood until it ends at Eastern. Go right and you're there.

Free peanuts as well.

Kahns Krazy
01-29-2008, 04:40 PM
It's very close to Bella Luna, if you've ever been there.

Stonebreaker
01-29-2008, 05:36 PM
Not familiar with that burger, but it's been my long-lasting contention that In-N-Out Burger (on the west coast) has the best burger (fries and shake) of any fast-food place.

Just thought if anyone here agrees/disagrees.

blobfan
01-29-2008, 11:36 PM
I'm not a burger aficionado. I haven't even been to Zips and I live close enough to walk to Quatman's and haven't visited there either (I'm very ashamed to admit this). But I did have a really good burger at the Glendale Pub this weekend. I was pleasantly surprised.

BlueGuy
01-30-2008, 06:26 AM
Not familiar with that burger, but it's been my long-lasting contention that In-N-Out Burger (on the west coast) has the best burger (fries and shake) of any fast-food place.

Just thought if anyone here agrees/disagrees.

I'll agree with you on In-N-Out. Not only are they great, but they live up to the hype. All I ever hear from my friends out there, is how great In-N-Out is. I was sure they were over-hyped. Not the case.

Kahns Krazy
01-30-2008, 09:44 AM
I'm not a burger aficionado. I haven't even been to Zips and I live close enough to walk to Quatman's and haven't visited there either (I'm very ashamed to admit this). But I did have a really good burger at the Glendale Pub this weekend. I was pleasantly surprised.

If you can walk to the Quat, you really need to go. It's an excellent, family run joint. Go in, sit at the bar, and tell them you've never been before. They will treat you right. Quatman makes the kind of burgers you would make in your own back yard.

Lamont Sanford
01-30-2008, 10:52 AM
KK -

Completely agree. I love Quatman's and the Mrs. actually got me some Quatman's gift certificates for Christmas again this year...they were the highlight of my Christmas gifts. Quatman's makes me think of basketball season all year long whenever I go there!

God bless Quatman's and the cheeseburger special!

xuirish
01-30-2008, 11:25 AM
I grew up about a block away from Quatman's, every saturday my dad would take me there after little league, can't wait to pass that tradition on to my son

Lamont Sanford
01-30-2008, 11:46 AM
FYI...According to another Xavier board (that will go unnamed), a certain administrator that resides in the Windy City plans on hitting Quatman's this Saturday before the LaSalle game.

Please don't let this information ruin your Saturday. :)

Stonebreaker
01-30-2008, 12:55 PM
I like Zips in Mt Lookout sqare.

nuts4xu
01-30-2008, 02:49 PM
I haven't been to Terry's, but I tried Bella Luna a few weeks ago. Terry's was jammed. It was a Saturday night, and there wasn't a seat in the house. Parking sucks around there, but I would go back. I really enjoyed Bella Luna...good Italian food.

94GRAD
01-30-2008, 03:22 PM
I grew up about a block away from Quatman's, every saturday my dad would take me there after little league, can't wait to pass that tradition on to my son
You and your lovely wife will now be blessed with four Daughters. Two sets of twins.

xuirish
01-30-2008, 08:25 PM
You and your lovely wife will now be blessed with four Daughters. Two sets of twins.

At least this way I'll get to go gun shoppin', yee haw!

Kahns Krazy
02-08-2008, 10:09 AM
I haven't been to Terry's, but I tried Bella Luna a few weeks ago. Terry's was jammed. It was a Saturday night, and there wasn't a seat in the house. Parking sucks around there, but I would go back. I really enjoyed Bella Luna...good Italian food.

Harry that runs Bella Luna is a perfect restraunteur. Bigger than life, never met a stranger, and he knows his food and wine. He's turned Bella Luna into a successful joint despite violating the 3 big rules of restaurants in a big, big way. On a Saturday, the parking can be dicey, and if it has rained, the lot just east of Bella Luna sucks, but it's worth it.

If you've never been there, there is a 10% off coupon on their website (which is otherwise fairly lame) at http://www.bellalunacincy.com/index.html

They are also a member of the Greater Cincinnati Independent Restaurants group. If you haven't checked this out, you should. There's even a way to get gift certificates to a lot of good restaurants at 30% off. (Food portion only)
http://www.cincinnatiindependents.com/whyeat.php (http://www.cincinnatiindependents.com/whyeat.php)

Kahns Krazy
02-08-2008, 10:11 AM
FYI...According to another Xavier board (that will go unnamed), a certain administrator that resides in the Windy City plans on hitting Quatman's this Saturday before the LaSalle game.

Please don't let this information ruin your Saturday. :)

I once witness that same administrator sit in the back bar of Zips, order the fish sandwich on whole wheat bread, then declare that Quatman had better burgers. I will never understand that day.

ballyhoohoo
09-28-2010, 02:15 PM
I went to Terry's for the first time, best burger I have had.

boozehound
09-28-2010, 02:32 PM
I went to Terry's for the first time, best burger I have had.

I still need to go there. I tried to go once for lunch, but they aren't open for lunch.

I need to go to Bella Luna again soon as well. That is a cool place with loads of character and good food.

JimmyTwoTimes37
09-28-2010, 02:35 PM
I still need to go there. I tried to go once for lunch, but they aren't open for lunch.

I need to go to Bella Luna again soon as well. That is a cool place with loads of character and good food.

Love Bella Luna.

I'm going to Terry's Turf Club this weekend. Looking forward to it!

sweet16
09-28-2010, 03:05 PM
Love Bella Luna.

I'm going to Terry's Turf Club this weekend. Looking forward to it!

I've found that if you get to Terry's around 5:00 to 5:30 you can get right in. If you get there after 6:00 plan on standing on the sidewalk out front.

boozehound
09-28-2010, 03:09 PM
I've found that if you get to Terry's around 5:00 to 5:30 you can get right in. If you get there after 6:00 plan on standing on the sidewalk out front.

Good to know. Thanks.

ballyhoohoo
09-28-2010, 03:13 PM
Good to know. Thanks.

If you go on a saturday get over there at 11:45 and you will get a seat rigth at noon when they open.

Kahns Krazy
09-28-2010, 03:26 PM
I believe Terry's recently announced plans to expand.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/dining/2010/09/16/terrys-plans-to-expand/

Expansion always has the chance to ruin a place's character, but Terry did a nice job expanding when he turned Neon's from a tiny one-room bar to a multi-room place with a cool patio. I think Terry will do just fine.

I will admit, if I were considering his zoning request, I'd be very concerned about the parking situation down there. I wonder if Terry's and Bella Luna can contract with the Wine Celler place across the street for after hours parking?

GuyFawkes38
09-28-2010, 04:11 PM
An interesting video on Terry's (apparently, seasoning plays a major role in what makes their burgers great):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKAPn9NbQYI&feature=related

As the video shows, the burgers are very heavy (lots of french influence). Go with an empty stomach.

Lamont Sanford
09-29-2010, 08:05 AM
The Mrs and I went to Terry's on Monday night for a "kids free" dinner. We got there right before 6pm and got seated immediately, but the place soon got packed and people were lined up waiting when we left. The burgers were AWESOME! The fries were killer too! Sorry Kahn's, but Terry's burgers are better than Zip's...and I love Zip's. The chili was pretty good, but Zip's chili is better. Overall, it is a really cool place, a little pricey, but the service and the bartenders were great. We'll be back!!!

golfitup
09-29-2010, 04:01 PM
I'm a big fan of Diners Drive-ins and Dives on the Food Network and this place was recently featured on the show. Seemed like a funky, cool place.

Kahns Krazy
09-29-2010, 04:06 PM
The Mrs and I went to Terry's on Monday night for a "kids free" dinner. We got there right before 6pm and got seated immediately, but the place soon got packed and people were lined up waiting when we left. The burgers were AWESOME! The fries were killer too! Sorry Kahn's, but Terry's burgers are better than Zip's...and I love Zip's. The chili was pretty good, but Zip's chili is better. Overall, it is a really cool place, a little pricey, but the service and the bartenders were great. We'll be back!!!

Not sure why you're sorry to me. I have been a fan of Terry's burger for a long time (it would appear I started this thread back in 2008) .

I've had some service issues there, and the prices have skyrocketed since my first visit, but I don't think I've ever said anything dispariging about the burger.

I like Zips. I like the flavor of the Zipburger, but moreover, I like the fun I've had at Zips, and the burger reminds me of all those good times. I think Zips burger is nearly identical to the burger at the place in Newtown, but I don't like the place in Newtown.

THRILLHOUSE
09-29-2010, 05:41 PM
If you work downtown and are looking for a good burger during lunch I recommend Cafe de Wheels (aka The Burger Truck). Usually they set up shop on either Vine and Court, or Race and 5th. Excellent burgers.

Lamont Sanford
09-30-2010, 08:27 AM
Kahn's -

Just messing with you since I know you are a HUGE Zip's fan. Main Street Cafe in Newtown is a nice alternative to Zip's as I think the burgers are very similar.

One of these days I'm gonna hit Five Guys.

Kahns Krazy
09-30-2010, 08:52 AM
If you work downtown and are looking for a good burger during lunch I recommend Cafe de Wheels (aka The Burger Truck). Usually they set up shop on either Vine and Court, or Race and 5th. Excellent burgers.

Agreed on the burgers, and I suggest stilcking with the burger. I had the Cuban, which was not good and overpriced in my opinion.

The burgers are good though.

Lamont, think of 5 guys as a superior option to Steak n Shake. I like it, but it's something I hit when I'm out shopping or something. Have you been to Gordo's? They serve an outstanding burger as well, and have a good beer selection.

Lamont Sanford
09-30-2010, 08:55 AM
Yep, been to Gordo's a couple times before XU games. Good burger as well, but I usually forget about the place when craving a burger. I'm a Quatman's guy and now a TTC guy.

xnatic03
09-30-2010, 09:57 AM
Thank God someone finally mentioned Gordos. That place serves the best burger I have ever had.

Juice
09-30-2010, 10:40 AM
Kahn's -

Just messing with you since I know you are a HUGE Zip's fan. Main Street Cafe in Newtown is a nice alternative to Zip's as I think the burgers are very similar.

One of these days I'm gonna hit Five Guys.

I have been told that Main Street Cafe's burgers are pretty much the same because the guy who runs or owns it was Zip's old owner? Anyone know if there is any truth to this?

boozehound
09-30-2010, 11:18 AM
I have been told that Main Street Cafe's burgers are pretty much the same because the guy who runs or owns it was Zip's old owner? Anyone know if there is any truth to this?

I have heard the same thing.

xu2006
09-30-2010, 12:25 PM

They taste identical to me... and a buck or two cheaper at Main Street than Zip's.

Kahns Krazy
09-30-2010, 01:08 PM

If I remember correctly, Main Street was opened by one of the Zip's owner's brothers at that time. Zips has since changed ownership. I'm not sure if Main Street is still the same guy.

Juice
09-30-2010, 02:18 PM
They taste identical to me... and a buck or two cheaper at Main Street than Zip's.

I completely agree. I like Main St. better because the burger is the same, its cheaper, their menu has a little more to offer and the seating is much better because you don't have to deal with the communal tables in the middle.

sweet16
09-30-2010, 02:37 PM
I completely agree. I like Main St. better because the burger is the same, its cheaper, their menu has a little more to offer and the seating is much better because you don't have to deal with the communal tables in the middle.

Remember when it was the Newtown Yacht Club? The head waitress at Main Street left a few years ago and moved down the street to the Village Tavern (I think thats the name). It's very nice, has good food, and the coldest beer in town.

Titanxman04
09-30-2010, 03:25 PM
Someone should swing through to Oakley Pub and Grill.

Their burgers are just fantastic... juicy, filling, and you'll always leave satisfied (sounds like an ad that Drew's Crew would read...). Their beer battered onion rings are a great side, and they also have fantastic home made pizza's too. Seriously, check this joint out.

According to Cincinnati Magazine, they were rated 7th best burger in town.

http://cincinnati.metromix.com/content_image/thumbnail/3x4/180/605362

GuyFawkes38
09-30-2010, 05:43 PM
I'm going to go ahead and nominate Zola's Pub and Grill in mainstrasse in Covington. The black and blue burger is delicious.

I really love terry's. But that's probably my favorite burger (just slightly).

ballyhoohoo
09-30-2010, 06:07 PM
In my opinion, when discussing the best burger it should be determined by quality of beef, flavor of seasoning, and the complimentary nature of the bun. Sauces and extravagant toppings are nice, but my rule of thumb when trying a burger at a well know eatery for the first time is only adding cheese, lettuce, tomato and pickle. No condiments, the quality of the burger, not the smoke and mirrors of a sauce should shine through. Just like a steak should stand on the beef and seasoning, so should a burger. Just my opinion, but growing up on a beef farm makes me right. :)

Kahns Krazy
10-01-2010, 08:50 AM
You can't polish a turd, so there's no overcoming bad beef, but you can make a good burger with average beef and excellent toppings.

I also don't think there's any such thing as a "best" burger, at least for me. There are things I love about a Quat burger, and things I love about Terry's burger, and they are pretty much at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Titan and Guy, I believe Oakley Pub and Zola are related, so it makes sense that they both serve good burgers.

boozehound
10-13-2010, 02:21 PM
Hit up Gordo's today for lunch today. I got the Gordo's burger with bacon and Boursin cheese. Pretty good. The quality of the meat was excellent and the toppings were great as well. Asian slaw was good too.

I didin't think that the bun was great though and it was kind of cold and hard. I prefer a warmer, toasted bun.

It looked like they had a great selection of craft beers though.

Kahns Krazy
10-13-2010, 02:59 PM
Sidebar, formerly Coco's, in Covington serves a surprisingly good burger. I was told that the guy that developed the seasoning recipe for the meat is a former Terry's employee.

They also serve tater tots as a side in addition to fries or chips, and an enormous, whole pickle. It's all pretty affordable too.

The lunch service is pretty slow, so don't stop in if you're in a hurry, but as a pre-game option for a Reds game or if you just want some bar grub and a beer, it's a pretty good spot.

ballyhoohoo
01-18-2011, 08:22 AM
Has anyone had Van Zandt's (spelling?) in College Hill? I have been hearing good things about it

mohr5150
01-20-2011, 04:05 PM
For those wondering about the similar tastes of Main Street Cafe and Zip's, my buddy used to supply the beef for both places. He owned a butcher shop in Hyde Park called Mirose (sp?). He has since closed up shop and I believe the building has been torn down. It was a shame, but he wasn't too bummed. Unfortunately, the meat quality at both Zip's and Main Street hasn't been the same, in my opinion. They are still great burgers, but I can't help but think about a different supplier than my friend, who took great care in his butchering.

Kahns Krazy
08-12-2011, 01:02 PM
After a long hiatus, I went back to Terry's today. It was freaking outstanding. I think it's actually gotten better. Our bartender told us they did some upgrades in the kitchen this year. The burger, which used to border on too-juicy was perfect. Perfectly done. Excellent toppings. Good bun.

The biggest improvement was the fries. The fries used to be consistently soggy. Not anymore. They were fresh cut, but still crispy. Again, perfectly done. Nicely golden brown.

The only possible drawback is that you get what you pay for. Two cheeseburgers with a topping sauce, a split order of fries, and two cokes was $34. Ouch. Soooooo good though.

sweet16
08-12-2011, 01:56 PM
I haven't been to Terry's in over a year. His expansion was supposed to be completed this past spring.............is it finished?

Kahns Krazy
08-12-2011, 03:23 PM
They will not be expanding into the empty lot next door. They recently got approval to enclose the front "porch" area, so they will be expanding by about 4 feet.

The costs to epand next year are prohibitive, primarily because of ADA.

Fred Garvin 2.0
08-14-2011, 02:06 PM
I'm a fan but will never understand the sheeple who think they are getting something akin to Kobe beef. He uses 80/20 black angus chuck. It's not the meat. It's the blend, toppings and the fact it's slow cooked on a flat top. And seldom overcooked.

I usually get the truffle/burgandy burger but will try the mango curry next time. I went with Nuts a month ago and he recommends the filet mignon chili. i was disappointed that I didn't see any red in my burger but let it slide. I'd say the Sammy Burger at Sammy's in Blue Ash was better.

Also, I agree with Titan that Oakley Pub and Grill has a great burger(for $6 on Wednesdays).

Benxman
08-14-2011, 02:55 PM
I'd say the Sammy Burger at Sammy's in Blue Ash was better.

I agree! Sammy's has great burgers. I particularly like the chili burger. Man, it has so much chili on it you almost have to eat it with a fork. YUM!

Sammy is a Mexican American who also owns/runs El Pueblo Mexican restaurant on Hunt Rd. in Blue Ash. If you like Mexican food, you will love El Pueblo. Sammy and his older brother started it a few years ago. His brother got homesick for his family and moved back to Mexico. They are both great guys. Sammy gave me an El Pueblo hat when they got new ones last year. Try both of these places. You won't be disapointed.

Go Sammy!
&
GOMUSKIES!

:logo:

Cheesehead
08-14-2011, 03:28 PM
Big fan of Sammy's too. Never had a bad Burger there. I have been wanting to try Terry's for a long time.

Kahns Krazy
08-15-2011, 09:31 AM
Also, I agree with Titan that Oakley Pub and Grill has a great burger(for $6 on Wednesdays).

Agreed. The burger stands on its own, and at that price is a tremendous value. I think I'm free on Wednesday.

BENWAR
11-30-2012, 09:02 PM
I went to Mad Mike's for a burger today and it was the best burger I have ever had.

I ordered the Philly burger ($5.95) which is a burger with a Philly cheese steak on top. (aka heart attack on a bun)

They just opened a new location right across the street from Newport on the levee. I believe they have a location in Florence too.

Highly recommend!

ballyhoohoo
12-01-2012, 07:34 AM
I went to Mad Mike's for a burger today and it was the best burger I have ever had.

I ordered the Philly burger ($5.95) which is a burger with a Philly cheese steak on top. (aka heart attack on a bun)

They just opened a new location right across the street from Newport on the levee. I believe they have a location in Florence too.

Highly recommend!

Better then Five Guys?

paulxu
01-09-2013, 05:46 PM
After a couple of failed tries (long lines) finally made it into Terry's last week on Cincinnati visit.
Good burger (I don't go for the weird toppings/sauce stuff). But...not a comfortabole experience.
Tables and chairs too close, and seating a real challenge if you have long legs. So, not a good dining experience for me.

But did visit Zips, Main Street and ATP. Those are my kinda places.
Didn't even have to move anyone (which I've done before) to get my seat at Zips (last barstool in Code Room by swing doors.)
I've set there and enjoyed their chili and burgers now for 47 years. Can't replace that.

bjf123
01-09-2013, 05:49 PM
You didn't get to Quatmans Cafe? Great cheeseburgers and a Xavier supporter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheesehead
01-09-2013, 05:52 PM
You didn't get to Quatmans Cafe? Great cheeseburgers and a Xavier supporter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

second that. Mason location serves up a good burger as well.

paulxu
01-09-2013, 06:20 PM
Limited time. I haven't been to Quatman's in ages. Need to go back.

chico
01-09-2013, 06:35 PM
After a couple of failed tries (long lines) finally made it into Terry's last week on Cincinnati visit.
Good burger (I don't go for the weird toppings/sauce stuff). But...not a comfortabole experience.
Tables and chairs too close, and seating a real challenge if you have long legs. So, not a good dining experience for me.

But did visit Zips, Main Street and ATP. Those are my kinda places.
Didn't even have to move anyone (which I've done before) to get my seat at Zips (last barstool in Code Room by swing doors.)
I've set there and enjoyed their chili and burgers now for 47 years. Can't replace that.

I can't believe you didn't go to Five Guys.

SixFig
01-09-2013, 06:45 PM
Bad move reading this thread before workout/dinner.

paulxu
01-09-2013, 06:59 PM
I can't believe you didn't go to Five Guys.

Five Guys is a chain. They are even in SC.
Zips is a singular institution.

coasterville95
01-09-2013, 07:24 PM
Still, I'd much rather go to Five Guys than Zips. Zips is firmly in the over rated category.

XUOWNSUC
01-09-2013, 08:01 PM
Still, I'd much rather go to Five Guys than Zips. Zips is firmly in the over rated category.

That's crazy talk.