PDA

View Full Version : Xavier-33 SIUE-12

nickgyp
10-17-2009, 10:36 PM
Tonight at Roger Bacon Stadium, Coach Powers' football team ran its record to 4-1 with a 33-12 win over the Cougars from Southern Illinois Univ (Edwardsville). The win gave the Muskies their 3rd win against one loss in the Midwest Club Football Conference.

SIEU won the toss and elected to receive. Gaining a series of first downs, the Cougars methodically moved into X territory and scored on a 3 yd. run to go up 6-0. The kick failed. X received the kick in its own territory. A 9 yd. keeper by QB Chris Greenwood moved the Muskies into Cougar territory. Muskie running back Eric Miles was thrown for a three yard loss; and on a 3rd and 13, a Greenwood pass failed forcing a Xavier punt with 3:54 left in the quarter.

SIUE stared their possession on their own 15 yd. line. Xavier LB Brett Hoyer sacked the SIUE back for a 7 yd. loss but the Cougars had to punt after facing a 4th and seven inside their 18 yd. line.
The punt was returned to SIUE's 43 yd. line. A Greenwood keeper on first down gained 10 yds but X gained only 1 yd. on the next two attempts. The quarter ended with SIUE leading 6-0.

Starting the second quarter at the Cougars' 30 yd line with a 3rd and nine, two Greenwood passes failed to pick up a 1st down as both fell incomplete. SIUE tookover but DL T.K Washington's tackle for a 5 yd loss forced the Cougars into a 2nd and 25 but they failed to on the next two downs.

RB/DB Eric Miles' 25 yd. return of the punt was negated by a Muskies' block in the back. The Muskies failed to convert on the next series and punted from their own 35. Punter Grreg Amyot's kick was a nice one; and a SIUE block in the penalty forced the Cougars into starting at their own 13. The Cougars ran for 32 yds. to their own 45. Two SIUE runs moved the ball to X's 46. SIUE converted on a 3rd and one but a holding penalty on the play pushed them back to their own 46.

A T.K. Washington sack gave the Cougars a 2nd and 23; and DB David Pergolini intercepted a Cougar's pass at the X 35. RB CJ Moreland netted 10 yds. on a run. With 6:51 left in the 1st half and X facing a 3rd and 5 at the 50, Greenwood completed a 30 yd. pass to WR Jon Deters. Moreland's 8yd. run to the SIUE 12 was followed up by his own 12 yd. carry for a touchdown. Scott Manze's kick was good and X led 7-6 with 5:25 on the clock.

Amyot's kick went to the SIUE 20 and a 10 yd. return gave the Cougars a 1st down at the 30. DB Andrew Bodziony's stopped SIUE for a 1yd. gain but the Cougar quarterback ran 14 yds. for a 1st down. Xavier LB Wyatt Link stopped the SIUE runner for a 1yd. gain
and LB Brett Hoyer's tackle after a 5 yd. gain gave SIUE a 3rd and 2 at X's 48. Pergolini and Miles stuffed SIUE for no gain; and the 4th down conversion attempt failed for no gain with Pergolini, Miles and LB Kevin Tierney making the tackle.

X tookover on downs and running plays netted 7 yds. but a Greenwood pass fell incomplete an a 3rd and 3 with 1:02 left in the half. Facing a 4th and 3 at SIUE's 46, Greenwoods's pass to Jon Deters was good for 23 yds. giving X a first down at the Cougars' 23.

Greenwood's pass to Dan Deters in the end zone was broken up on a nice defensive play by the SIUE DB. Facing a 4th and 10 with 30.0 seconds left in the half, WR Dan Deters made a very nice catch in the end zone for 6 points. Manze's kick was good and the half ended X up 14-6.

Xavier received the 2nd half kickoff and started at its own 34. A 3 yd. loss was followed by a 10 pass to WR Chris Sexton. Moreland followed with an 10yd run to SIUE's 49. The Muskies recovered thier own fumble for a 2yd. loss and on a 2nd and 12, Greenwood connected with TE Scott McLouglin for a 20 yd gain to SIUE's 29. Two plays netted X 3 yds and on 3rd and 7, Greenwood again found McLouglin for a 13 yd. pass play.

On 1st down at SIUE's 16, a Xavier pitchout lost 9 yds.; hoever, a 13 yd. Greenwood keeper gave X a 3rd and 6 at SIUE's 12. Greenwood the n connected with WR Jon Deters on a 12 yd. slant pass to the middle for a TD and a 20-6 Xavier lead with 7:59 left in the 3rd quarter. The kick was no good.

SIUE took the kick and started at its own 31. Muskie DB Eric Miles' hit on the SIUE receiver as the latter caught the pass caused the ball to fall incomplete. The Cougars failed to convert and punted.
X could only gain 3 yds on two plays and faced a 3rd and 7 from its own 48. Greenwoods pass was intercepted by SIUE at its own 29 but a personal foul penalty, gave the Cougars the ball in X territory just inside the 50.

SIUE's RB run for 12 yds, ended with Pergolini's tackle causing a fumble that was recover by X DB Wyatt Link. Starting at the X 41, Greenwood's keeper netted 10 yds. Two more running plays gave the Muskies a 3rd and 3 at SIUE's 42. Greenwood found WR Sexton free and he completed a 42 yd. pass for the score. Manze's kick made it 27-6 X with 2:49 left in the 3rd quarter.

SIUE took the kick and started at its 37. Facing a 4th and 4 from its own 44, the Cougars' pass attempt failed and the Muskies took over on downs. The 3rd quarter ended with X facing a 3rd and 3 from SIUE's 36.

On the 1st play of the 4th Q., Eric Miles ran for 6yds. and X moved to SIUE's 27. Greenwood then connected with WR Dan Deters for a 27 yd. TD pass. The kick was no good and X led 33-6 with 13:20 left in the game.

Amyot's kick went to SIUE's 5 yd. line but it was returned to the Cougars' 23. An 18 yd. QB keeper gave SIUE a 1st down at its 42.
A personal foul on X moved the ball to X's 43. The Cougars converted for a 1st down at X's 32 and then a 24 yd. pass gave it 1st and goal at X's 8. The Cougars scored on an 8yd run but the two point conversion attempt failed. With 7:58 left in the game, X led 33-12.

The remainder of the game saw X running the ball and consuming the clock. DB Brandon Tucker gained tough yardage and after 2 first downs., X punted with 47.2 seconds left; and SIUE took a knee as time expired.

For the second consecutive game, the Muskies were without the services of defensive standout, LB Phil Migitz (back injury), RB Jim Castrigano also did not suit up (knee injury).

Final: X-33 SIUE-12.

DoubleD86
10-18-2009, 02:37 AM
For those who have not seen a game and are able to, I would recommend it. I was working the merchandise table and stayed through the third quarter and it was very entertaining. The football is not bad at all and the Xavier Defense hit with some pop. I suggest if you have the chance and enjoy football, check X out. Cheap, fun, and a decent crowd!

Masterofreality
10-18-2009, 09:31 AM
For those who have not seen a game and are able to, I would recommend it. I was working the merchandise table and stayed through the third quarter and it was very entertaining. The football is not bad at all and the Xavier Defense hit with some pop. I suggest if you have the chance and enjoy football, check X out. Cheap, fun, and a decent crowd!

Are they getting more than, say 2,000 or 3,000? If so, that is pretty good.

nickgyp
10-18-2009, 08:08 PM
MOR:

No, the crowds are not that big which disappoints me. Last night, I was on the chain crew on the SIUE side of the field. After remarking to the SIUE coach that I admired what these club players go through just to play football at the college level, he opined that he wished the crowds were bigger. My understanding is that Univ. of New Orleans' club team is drawing the biggest crowds. The Xavier game at Miami several weeks ago drew a small crowd but maybe the 11:00 start had something to do with that. Small crowds seem to be the overall experience of these club teams all of which are still growing.

Efforts to market the Xavier club team are evolving as funds and time permit. Printed schedule cards have been helpful as has the addition of a parents booster club. The sale of football shirts and hats has also helped. I do know this: Coach Powers and team put out a great product; and he and many others will continue efforts to garner support and increase attendance.

Finally, I apologize for the misidentification of WR Nick Sexton who caught a TD pass last night. (Don't know where "Chris" came from but his first name is Nick and he had a very nice game agaisnt SIUE.)