PDA

View Full Version : UD and the PFL and Non-scholarship football

nickgyp
10-06-2009, 07:04 PM
10/1/2009 article in Dayton Daily News on UD in the non-scholarship PFL.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayton-sports/university-of-dayton-flyers/ud-finds-not-giving-football-scholarships-to-be-a-blessing-325428.html?viewAsSinglePage=true

wkrq59
10-07-2009, 02:25 AM
Nick,
From an old warhorse who still loves college football, what do you think Harris' purpose was in writing that story?
Was it an assignment to keep him busy during the hoops off-season? Is he the regular UC football beat writer, too?
Or was there some other reason? Perhaps the school reducing the program to club status and making it easier to balance the budget by eliminating the "high personnel manned women's sports to be fully in line with gender equity?
Just some things I'm hearing from current and former faculty members up there.
All of which brings into clear and sharp focus the way Xavier has done things re: football.
BTW, what do you think the reaction of the female athletes on what are termed the non-revenue sports teams to reading about those wonderful hotels and "rich" meals and the plane rides those football players get during their season? Especially when they are traveling by fume coughing bus or on some cases commercial, three stops flights. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

nickgyp
10-08-2009, 05:35 PM
Q:

I cannot speculate as to the why's of the story being written. Nor can I comment on the
"extravagances" of the lodging, etc. except to say that in a cost-conscious atmosphere, it would seem wise to try to minimize expenses so I guess looking in askance by males or females in any sport would be natural.

I will point out that after last night's football practice at Sherman Park that went into the dark night, I watched all the Muskie gridders pile into their respective cars with practice uniforms with adorned with mud, sweat, etc.. I continue to marvel at how these players and coaches sacrifice their time, energy and own money just to play the game. Their enthusiasm is quite contagious.

As the article points out, a number of college programs have started recently at various levels. Even at the club level, it sure would be nice to see the team have its own practice field with lights, a locker room where they could change their clothes and perhaps shower.

As for now, I will continue to be proud of what coach Powers and his team do to put out
a great program that represents Xavier well. And I will contunue to encourage people to come out and watch a game or two.