PDA

View Full Version : Uh oh, here come the bangwagon UC fans

JimmyTwoTimes37
09-23-2009, 10:09 AM
First off, let me state I'm not a UC football hater. I hate the BCS with a passion comparable to my hatred of Steven Seagall movies and therefore want UC to go undefeated. HOWEVER, Pete Fiutak of College Football News has officially jumped on the bandwagon and declared "Florida vs UC in the national championship game"...http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090922/COL03/309220053/1007/SPT/Doc++BCS+talk+for+UC+legit+

BCS talk legit...Yes.....Florida vs UC in the national championship game as ...NO unless about 15 teams slip up and lose 2 games.

But there are a lot of now hardcore fans declaring "We're the best in Ohio".

I really don't know if that's true. Ohio State, and I am not a fan by any means, has arguably the best defense in the country. Their offense is below par at the moment due to Tressel's conservatism in play calling, but they have the talent to compete with anyone.
UC is really really good and that OSU UC game would be a great one...I really don't know who would win. But brace yourself, Xavier Nation, there is about to be a battle between OSU and Cincy fans. I am going to sit back and enjoy all this

Snipe
09-23-2009, 10:12 AM
I think Kelly and what he has done in Clifton is great for the city. They could win every game and it wouldn't affect our basketball program one bit. Might even help recruiting is UC is just considered a "football school".

I think that Coach Kelly is brilliant. The Chess Master.

PM Thor
09-23-2009, 10:45 AM
Yeah, I saw that article about OSU vs UC, and it made me laugh. Funny thing is, I have come to realize I don't care either way about UC football, I don't wish them to lose, but don't care if they win. I just have no interest in it at all. Sure, if their game is on TV, I'll watch, but I am apathetic about the outcome.

It does rile me some when they show the UC crowd in their brand spankin new gear though. I guess it's good for the city, because this town is begging for a winner when it comes to football. I wonder what's going to happen when Kelly bolts....the UC fans are going to lose it.

I HATE dayton.

gladdenguy
09-23-2009, 11:10 AM
I root so hard for UC football to lose every single week. God I hate that school.

Masterofreality
09-23-2009, 11:21 AM
I think Kelly and what he has done in Clifton is great for the city. They could win every game and it wouldn't affect our basketball program one bit.

Uhh, beg to disagree. The more success, the more money that can be poured into basketball.

Think Marquette fans want Wisconsin to win football games? It's a freakin' rivalry. The only thing you want in a rivalry is for your opponent to die One Thousand Horrible Deaths.

DEATH TO THE BORECATS!!!!!

XUOWNSUC
09-23-2009, 11:36 AM
uc hasn't played anybody. When they did last year (Oklahoma), they got drilled. The Big East is weak. uc wouldn't even be top 4 in the SEC.

Kahns Krazy
09-23-2009, 11:47 AM
UC football games are a good time. I doubt they're top-tier competitive, but they are an exciting team to watch.

Running the table is difficult even if you are 10-1 favorites in every game. I seriously doubt they can run the table.

Kahns Krazy
09-23-2009, 11:55 AM
Also, in reference to the title of the thread, I am interested in this "bangwagon". It sounds far more interesting than a bandwagon. No offense, X-band.

Snipe
09-23-2009, 11:58 AM
Uhh, beg to disagree. The more success, the more money that can be poured into basketball.

Think Marquette fans want Wisconsin to win football games? It's a freakin' rivalry. The only thing you want in a rivalry is for your opponent to die One Thousand Horrible Deaths.

DEATH TO THE BORECATS!!!!!

UD sells out every game and it doesn't seem to hurt us. I don't think that UC is making a lot of money in the football program. Historically I bet it is a big time loser. If anything their success should help free them from the public dole and make it easier on the taxpayers of Ohio.

I grew up rooting for UC football just because I grew up in Cincinnati. I think that they will have a hard time keeping Kelly so rest easy detractors, it probably won't last too long.

I do appreciate exciting and winning football, and I admire what Coach Kelly has done with the program. I think seeing it as a threat to Xavier is a reach. We have the best run basketball program in Division 1. Whatever they do in Clifton or in Dayton has little affect on us.

Snipe
09-23-2009, 12:03 PM
And West Virginia has recently sold out. Lots of travelling fans I know. Ticket prices for the Louisville game are $56 bucks. I guess the bleachers in the Bearcat lair are sold out or not available. Those prices have risen quickly. I had an offer for 4 for this week but I am at my kids games.

If they can ever switch some of these games to PBS we could see the return of the cheap ticket.

Imagine if the Bengals ever started winning on a consistent basis and the Bearcats stayed hot (I know, it is a prayer), it would be great to see Paul Brown Stadium filled up every weekend. People might even start thinking the money was well spent.

JimmyTwoTimes37
09-23-2009, 12:55 PM
Also, in reference to the title of the thread, I am interested in this "bangwagon". It sounds far more interesting than a bandwagon. No offense, X-band.

hahahahhaha, i just realized the bangwagon....

Here's a better article that showcases what i'm talking about...

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090922/SPT0101/309220052

MD Muskie
09-23-2009, 01:12 PM
let be honest here, another BCS Bowl game and Kelly is going to have the pick of litter when it comes to job openings. He is using UC as a stepping stone, plain and simple.

MuskieCinci
09-23-2009, 01:19 PM
People are calling UC fans bandwagon fans like there are any other kind of UC football fans. How many people on this board knew someone that deeply cared about UC football 5 or more years ago? Those people don't exist. My family went to UC football games all the time when I was younger because the actual UC fans didn't care enough about the football team to go.

As for whether or not it effects Xavier, I hink it might. I want the basketball rivalry to grow and become one of the elite rivalries again. No one cares about the OSU-Michigan basketball rivalry because they are football schools. The chances of it happening are very small but that is the only concern. I like seeing Cincinnati as one of the best college basketball cities and it is because of the great rivalry we have in the Crosstown Shootout.

As for Brian Kelly, I truly believe he is one of the 10 best coaches in college football right now. His offenses have just been abusing opponents since he came aboard. I think he likes it at UC and is posturing the program for long term success but I think he will leave for a program like Notre Dame where everything he could possibly want has already been taken care of.

Masterofreality
09-23-2009, 01:41 PM
UD sells out every game and it doesn't seem to hurt us. I don't think that UC is making a lot of money in the football program. Historically I bet it is a big time loser. If anything their success should help free them from the public dole and make it easier on the taxpayers of Ohio.

.......Whatever they do in Clifton or in Dayton has little affect on us.

We'll just have to disagree on this one, sonny!

Sellout. You probably root for the NY Yankees too. :p

Lamont Sanford
09-23-2009, 01:45 PM
I root so hard for UC football to lose every single week. God I hate that school.

Finally, someone with some sense when it comes to UC.

DC Muskie
09-23-2009, 01:54 PM
I really feel sad for Xavier fans who feel the need to cheer for UC football just to get their football fix. There are literally hundreds of programs out there to cheer for, but Xavier Fan wants to stay home and watch exciting big time losing football.

A successful football program for any BCS school is a must. Even UC picked up on that memo. That football program has been a losing one for years, and then landed a spot in a BCS conference simply because they are right next door to Xavier basketball. What complete dumb luck. They go .500 and they are bringing in money, due to their BCS conference bowl tie-ins. What a deal.

We've lost our last three coaches to schools that have BCS football programs. The BCS is the worst thing to happen to college sports. UC football seeems like it wants to be the Xavier of BCS football. I don't blame their fans for thinking big. They are morons, but they are fans of UC through and through.

I wish I could say the same for some Xavier fans.

JimmyTwoTimes37
09-23-2009, 02:08 PM
I've never been a local fan of football (most of my ties are to the west coast). I really like the enthusiasm, but its starting to go overboard. Three games into the season and people are talking about a national championship (realistically 2 games into the season since SE Missouri State is horrendous).

They better come out ready against Fresno State or they will be in for a huge surprise. Fresno State can put points up on the board quick. Should have beaten Wisconsin at Wisconsin. Also was in the game against Boise State until the end. Very solid team despite being 1-2

GuyFawkes38
09-23-2009, 02:27 PM
Keeping Kelly will be the challenge. Kelly has publicly complained about facilities (esp. Nippert). He seems to be laying the groundwork for a bolt.

Tardy Turtle
09-23-2009, 02:31 PM
The Google image search for "bangwagon" is a raging disappointment.

wkrq59
09-23-2009, 02:36 PM
What is it about Cincinnati sports fans of local teams, football and basketball especially, that causes them to go completely overboard one way or another and look silly in the process?
The Reds win the opening game and pennant fever abounds. The Bengals lose a heart-breaker and everyone is on either a suicide watch or is equating Mike Brown with a terrorist.
UC, which has not had a successful football program since the late 40s and early 50s has two sensational and unexpected successful seasons and wins its first three games and all of a sudden there is national championship talk and speculation that they could run the table.
After two decades of miserable to semi-miserable basketball, it takes Xavier 25 years just to get respect as a "major" program that has had and probably always will have a hard time keeping good coaches, but the last couple of years there has been talk of Final Fours and National Championships.
And UC, which finally gets rid of a coach who thought the university was a halfway house for dis-advantaged "youtes" and held fast to the opinion he truly had more power than the school's president, recruits a couple of talented players and immediately talks of a return to dominance and perpetual winning.
Oh, and the Cincinnati fan almost becomes maniacal about not only firing the coach after one early season loss, he, she or it wants to kill the poor soul.
Marvin Lewis, Dusty Baker and Mick Cronin are the latest members of the Endangered Species Club.
When will we exercise some patience, stay in the center of things without going overboard one way or another and just enjoy success, however brief?
If I knew the answer to that question I could join some of the "Oracles" on both these XU chatboards? That said, I'll never live to see the answer.:D:D:D

GoMuskies
09-23-2009, 02:39 PM
Yeah, really pisses me off when people get excited about the teams they follow. How dare they?

JimmyTwoTimes37
09-23-2009, 02:42 PM
Yeah, really pisses me off when people get excited about the teams they follow. How dare they?

Excited is one thing. Declaring they are the best team in Ohio and predicting a national championship game after 3 games is another issue...That's Dayton-esc

GoMuskies
09-23-2009, 02:45 PM
Have you guys actually seen UC fans claiming they were going to win a national title? The Rivals national writer picked them for the title game, not UC fans. And UC is ranked one spot behind OSU. Why wouldn't they rationally believe that they're every bit as good as OSU?

XU 87
09-23-2009, 02:46 PM
Marvin Lewis, Dusty Baker and Mick Cronin are the latest members of the Endangered Species Club.
D:D:D

You have to admit that Dusty does some goofy things, particularly when putting together lineups and playing lousy players game after game (see for example Corey Patterson). Dusty needs to read "Moneyball" and realize that a fast runner with a .290 OBP shouldn't be at the top of the lineup. I don't care how fast you are- studies have shown that it is nearly impossible to score a run when you're not on base.

GoMuskies
09-23-2009, 02:52 PM
Oh, and the Cincinnati fan almost becomes maniacal about not only firing the coach after one early season loss, he, she or it wants to kill the poor soul.

BTW, I wonder how many towns have more coaching stability than this one? Xavier hasn't fired a coach since at least the '70s. UC hasn't had a performance related basketball firing since Tony Yates in the '80s. I don't remember the last time UC fired a football coach (Minter didn't get fired, did he? Hell, they had a coach voluntarily leave to go to Harvard after an 8-3 year, but no firings). Marvin Lewis has been given a lot more rope than most NFL coaches with his record. And Dusty Baker continues on despite sucking while managers in Houston, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, Arizona, Cleveland, Washington, Baltimore (and probably others) all get sacked. From where I sit, Cincy fans are less maniacal in that regard than fans elsewhere.

PM Thor
09-23-2009, 03:05 PM

I had to quote it, just because it was hilarious.

I HATE dayton.

JimmyTwoTimes37
09-23-2009, 03:10 PM
I had to quote it, just because it was hilarious.

I HATE dayton.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?p=bangwagon&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-701

Theres the results on yahoo. It contains:
1) a pissed off dark haired woman
2) A toy train or car titled "Bangwagon"
3) Glen Davis in an awkward pose and grin with a trophy
4) A cartoon female elf
5) A helicopter
6) A small girl in a weird snuggie like outfit
7) A Band
8) Ickey Woods
9) Some steroid/Bodybuilder guy
10) David Beckham

Quite a range on the image search

TheDanimal
09-23-2009, 03:10 PM
Have you guys actually seen UC fans claiming they were going to win a national title? The Rivals national writer picked them for the title game, not UC fans. And UC is ranked one spot behind OSU. Why wouldn't they rationally believe that they're every bit as good as OSU?

Have to agree here; the national championship game speculation is coming from the media outlets, not the actual fans. If there is one thing any sports fan should know by now, it is that the talking head powers that be love to speculate early, often, and in constantly changing directions. The feeling on campus (or at least the law school - I don't pretend nor ever desire to speak for the thousands of parking spot grabbing undergrads that arrived today) is that this team has a great shot to repeat as BE champs if it takes care of business and stays focused.

As far as comparisons to OSU go, everyone can say whatever they want as far as which team is "better." We will never know because these particular teams will never play, so I think the chest thumping should be allowed to go on unabated. The only real measure will be which team accomplishes bigger things this year, and, at this point, there is a very real possibility that it could be the Bearcats.

Xpectations
09-23-2009, 03:13 PM
Dusty needs to read "Moneyball" and realize that a fast runner with a .290 OBP shouldn't be at the top of the lineup. I don't care how fast you are- studies have shown that it is nearly impossible to score a run when you're not on base.

Amen. A voice of reason. Too bad Dusty won't listen.

Kahns Krazy
09-23-2009, 03:38 PM

but subsitiute "bus" for "wagon" and whoooooweeee.

(not even remotely safe for work)

vee4xu
09-23-2009, 04:17 PM
UC football claiming that it is better than OSU football makes as much sense as ud basketball saying they are better than Xavier basketball. It makes no sense. OSU has the best college football program in Ohio and Xavier has the best men's basketball program in Ohio. No amount of short term success by either UC in football or ud in basketball changes that reality.

DoubleD86
09-23-2009, 04:18 PM
I am in no way a UC football fan. I actually used to root for them before they were "big" because I like football and had a cousin who played for the Bearcats. I have since stopped rooting for them because of all the bandwagon fans in Cincinnati. However, I will say the talk of a National Championship is not that out of sync in my book. First off, UC football is unfortunately pretty good. Secondly, the Big East is not very good. Thirdly, while I agree some people think that an undefeated Cincinnati shouldn't be in the NC over a 1 loss Big Twelve or SEC team, can you imagine the backlash if that were the case. The BCS gets enough flack for not allowing an undefeated Utah or Boise State in the NC, just imagine the bad press they would get if a BCS member school went undefeated and didn't make the championship. That would be the end of the Bowl System. While I don't expect UC to go undefeated, it really wouldn't surprise me given the lack of tough opponents they face.

muskienick
09-23-2009, 05:38 PM
And West Virginia has recently sold out. Lots of travelling fans I know. Ticket prices for the Louisville game are $56 bucks. I guess the bleachers in the Bearcat lair are sold out or not available. Those prices have risen quickly. I had an offer for 4 for this week but I am at my kids games.

If they can ever switch some of these games to PBS we could see the return of the cheap ticket.

Imagine if the Bengals ever started winning on a consistent basis and the Bearcats stayed hot (I know, it is a prayer), it would be great to see Paul Brown Stadium filled up every weekend. People might even start thinking the money was well spent.

You won't see me turning blue while holding my breath waiting for this to happen. The Bengals will always be the Bengals until Mike Brown steps back and lets a really talented football mind take the GM reins of the club. Even when Mike's pushing up daiseys, his befuddled daughter, brother, and son (?) will carry on by continuing the legacy of the Bengals as the laughing-stock of the NFL (right down at the bottom with the Lions).

And the Bearcats are justthisclose to being the University of Mediocre (or worse) when (not if) Brian Kelly parlays another year or two of better-than-average success at UC into a top tier job in a real BCS Football Conference.

waggy
09-23-2009, 07:37 PM
I don't see why Kelly would automatically leave. With the three traditional BE football powers, VA Tech, Miami and BC all leaving for the ACC, the BE is wide open for some program to dominate it. The only real challenge I see remaining in that conference is West Virginia.

AviatorX
09-23-2009, 08:05 PM
If XU had a successful football program, would UC fans embrace it? Absolutely not.

I hate UC, all of it. That includes the football team.

XURunner85
09-23-2009, 08:25 PM
You guys probably don't know this but....I HATE UC!!!!!

AdamtheFlyer
09-23-2009, 08:26 PM
UC is good, but they aren't National Title good. As far as comparing them to OSU...UC has the better quarterback. OSU is better at every other position. Tony Pike is one of the best 5 QBs in the country, IMO, but he can't do it alone. OSU would win by 10-14 on a neutral field. The games against Oklahoma and VT last year showed that UC doesn't have the depth of strength and speed that true top ten programs have. VT is barely a top ten type team and they were flat out too much for UC to handle even with Pike and a month to prepare.

OSU deservedly gets a lot of heat for losing to top 5 teams, but they're still a step or two above UC. Ohio State brings in a top 5 recruiting class nearly every year and churns out as many NFL players as any other school in the country. It's a different level of talent, and OSU doesn't lose to lesser talented teams.

AviatorX
09-23-2009, 08:34 PM
UC is good, but they aren't National Title good. As far as comparing them to OSU...UC has the better quarterback. OSU is better at every other position. Tony Pike is one of the best 5 QBs in the country, IMO, but he can't do it alone. OSU would win by 10-14 on a neutral field. The games against Oklahoma and VT last year showed that UC doesn't have the depth of strength and speed that true top ten programs have. VT is barely a top ten type team and they were flat out too much for UC to handle even with Pike and a month to prepare.

OSU deservedly gets a lot of heat for losing to top 5 teams, but they're still a step or two above UC. Ohio State brings in a top 5 recruiting class nearly every year and churns out as many NFL players as any other school in the country. It's a different level of talent, and OSU doesn't lose to lesser talented teams.

Coming from an avid VT supporter:

If VT's offense was even mediocre last year (or ever, for that matter), that game would have been truly ugly. UC just can't hang, yet. Adam is pretty much spot on.

Juice
09-23-2009, 08:46 PM
One of the main reasons I follow/support UC football is because St. X kids are going/will be going there. It is nice to see friends of my little brothers play important games at the college level.

JimmyTwoTimes37
09-23-2009, 09:02 PM
If XU had a successful football program, would UC fans embrace it? Absolutely not.

I hate UC, all of it. That includes the football team.

Isn't it ironic UC football fans now know what its like to be a Xavier Basketball fan?

For instance, UC fans always bring up the following stupidity when arguing with Xavier fans:

1) Conference affiliation and how theirs is better
2) Their tradition including 2 NCAA championships
3) How were number 2 in terms of fan base in the city
4) We will never win a national championship
5) We don't get 5 star recruits

etc...

Now Ohio State fans have turned the tables on UC using the exact same arguments they use against us only for football.

1) Big ten is better than the Big East
2) Ohio State's tradition is way better than UC
3) UC is number 2 in the state in terms of fan base
4) UC will never win a national championship
5) UC doesn't get the big time recruits

Finally UC is getting a taste of their own medicine

JimmyTwoTimes37
09-23-2009, 09:04 PM
[QUOTE=AdamtheFlyer;142630]UC is good, but they aren't National Title good. As far as comparing them to OSU...UC has the better quarterback. OSU is better at every other position. Tony Pike is one of the best 5 QBs in the country, IMO, but he can't do it alone. OSU would win by 10-14 on a neutral field.
[QUOTE]

And to add to your statement, Ohio State has arguably the best defense in all of football. Tressel has stated this is one of his best defenses ever. Pike is a great player and will be drafted high in my opinion. But I think Ohio State is just too deep.

GuyFawkes38
09-23-2009, 09:20 PM
Interesting interview from Rivals. Brian Kelly isn't happy about the facilities situation:

What's the key to the program taking that next step?

"Facilities. It's the absolute most critical element that this university has to continue to take a hard look at. We aren't where we need to be. But we put an exciting product on the field. We have won a lot of football games [24-6, with two bowls and one Big East title since the start of the 2007 season]. Now, it's up to the university to step up and get these things done."

Is it true that you really have no practice fields?

"Yes, we have no practice fields. We practice at the stadium. There is no ability to go out and practice a spread, no-huddle offense. We don't get 120 yards to do that. We have to do it on 50 yards because the defense is on the other half of the field. It is hard to do, and I give our kids a lot of credit for being able to overcome it and continue to win. And, of course, we have no indoor facility. In fact, to prepare for the Orange Bowl [last season], we had to practice in an indoor soccer facility. It obviously wasn't a very good way to prepare our football team."

Where do you think your facilities rank in the Big East?

"Negative. You can't even compare it to any of the teams in our league. There are no luxury boxes, so there is no revenue stream there, either. We have the smallest stadium [35,098 capacity]. From an infrastructure standpoint, the university has to decide if it wants to get it done or not."

What is your contract status?

"I have four years remaining after this year. It is like any other contract in that there are a lot of provisions in there. One of them is that they have to get some things done here from a facilities standpoint or there is no buyout or a minimal buyout in my contract. I think all the things are in place from a contractual standpoint. I just want the university to keep moving forward on developing the program."

When does the university have to have facilities done so your buyout isn't lowered?

"They have to have them in place for this fall."

So, the university missed the deadline?

"Pretty much. Look, I just wanted them to know that it is important for me that if they want to continue to move the program forward, [things must be done on facilities]. ... [Athletic director] Mike Thomas has been awesome. He is with me on this 100 percent. But we have gone through a new president, and there was an interim president; you know how that goes. But I am an impatient guy. That is my problem. We can't wait. Our new president will have these things on his table, and I'll keep doing my job and we'll see what comes up at the end of the year."

I sense that he will bolt after a couple more years.

GoMuskies
09-23-2009, 09:24 PM
With the way Ohio State trounced Navy (and completely shut down the Middies high octane offense), I can see where UC wouldn't have a shot against the Buckeyes. And that great defense almost held USC to fewer points than Washington's vaunted defense did. But good points all.

vee4xu
09-23-2009, 09:30 PM
Lest we all forget, one of the TD's that OSU gave up to USC was a three yard drive after Pryor threw a pass, I mean interception to a USC LB. So, in essence, the defense gave up only 11 points to USC. As for Navy, they scored on an 85 yard pass after a breakdown in the secondary. Finally, OSU is a very young team and is doing pretty well given that most of these guys have not played but a few games together.

GoMuskies
09-23-2009, 09:34 PM
As for Navy, they scored on an 85 yard pass after a breakdown in the secondary. Finally, OSU is a very young team and is doing pretty well given that most of these guys have not played but a few games together.

That doesn't sound promising against a team like UC. Breakdowns in the secondary? Inexperienced guys that have not played much together? Advantage UC.

XUOWNSUC
09-23-2009, 09:36 PM
Who has uc beaten that is any good? Are there any good teams in the big east?

uc sucks.

GoMuskies
09-23-2009, 09:38 PM
Who has uc beaten that is any good? Are there any good teams in the big east?

They've beaten one more good team than Ohio State (on the road even). Are there any good teams in the Big Ten other than Penn State?

XUOWNSUC
09-23-2009, 09:46 PM
They've beaten one more good team than Ohio State (on the road even). Are there any good teams in the Big Ten other than Penn State?

I don't like Ohio State or the Big Ten. I like Xavier. uc's schedule blows. Oregon State - please! They suck.

The last time uc played a LEGIT team (Oklahoma) they got destroyed. They didn't look good versus Viginia Tech either.

GoMuskies
09-23-2009, 09:49 PM
Not sure what last year has to do with this year.

UC's schedule is pretty weak. I'll give you that (since you're not on Ohio State's side; their schedule is not much, if any, better).

XUOWNSUC
09-23-2009, 09:55 PM
Interesting interview from Rivals. Brian Kelly isn't happy about the facilities situation:

Where do you think your facilities rank in the Big East?

"Negative. You can't even compare it to any of the teams in our league. There are no luxury boxes, so there is no revenue stream there, either. We have the smallest stadium [35,098 capacity]. From an infrastructure standpoint, the university has to decide if it wants to get it done or not."

One could argue that they don't need a bigger stadium - they are having trouble selling out the game for Fresno St. and they need WVU fans to help sell out the WVU game.

Juice
09-23-2009, 10:06 PM
One could argue that they don't need a bigger stadium - they are having trouble selling out the game for Fresno St. and they need WVU fans to help sell out the WVU game.

I don't think the capacity should be enlarged that much but they do somehow need to add luxury boxes and practice fields. Those two things should be added first regardless of whether Kelly is here or not. Those are two essentials of any BCS conference team.

PM Thor
09-23-2009, 10:07 PM
I never thought I would see the day that a Xavier fan would defend UC in any capacity. Today is a first.

I HATE dayton.

JimmyTwoTimes37
09-23-2009, 10:17 PM

I am not a fan of the big ten. I'm the first one to make fun of them and their style of play. But I'd have to say the big ten is stronger than the big east this year. It was not the case the last couple years.

UC has some tough games in conference including WVU, Louisville (rivalry), UConn, Pitt, and possibly Syracuse.

Ohio State has 2 really tough games with Penn State and at Michigan. Minnesota, Iowa, and Wisconsin won't be gimmes either, although i'm not sold on Iowa/Wisconsin yet.

Both teams play Illinois who will only go as far as a healthy Juice will take them.

All in all, I think Ohio States schedule trumps UC. It would be nice to see the two of them play in a bowl game. It would be a great game.

GoMuskies
09-23-2009, 10:19 PM
Fresno and Wisconsin already played. They went to OT in Madison. So I'd say UC's Fresno game cancels out OSU's Wisky game (at worst).

JimmyTwoTimes37
09-23-2009, 10:37 PM
Fresno and Wisconsin already played. They went to OT in Madison. So I'd say UC's Fresno game cancels out OSU's Wisky game (at worst).

True...Wisconsin hardly looked impressive at home. Same with Iowa's first game.

nuts4xu
09-24-2009, 12:58 AM
I haven't read the whole thread, and I don't know about all that bullshit. All I know is ....

GO CATS!!!!

GuyFawkes38
09-24-2009, 01:59 AM
I haven't read the whole thread, and I don't know about all that bullshit. All I know is ....

GO CATS!!!!

yeah, sure, yeah.

Has anyone else noticed that all of the unlikable and disgruntled posters from Musketeermadness (nuts, kahns, Fred,...etc) love bearcats football. Weird stuff.

Roach
09-24-2009, 06:27 AM
It seems that each season for the past 3 years, X fans are debating whether to care about UC football. Frankly, I don't see an inconsistency if some of them do. UC football has been really good football recently and it's good to have some fodder to shove down the throats of Buckeye homers. Most important, however, is the fact that UC football will never play Xavier ... ever. It's not ever going to happen. UC football is the best college football ticket in town.

I also don't buy the argument that UC basketball needs to be bad for XU basketball to flourish, so to the extent that UC football elevates their hoops program, I either say "so what" or "good". Who here thinks that Duke's basketball prowess has hurt Carolina's, or vice versa? The rivalry helps the programs. I remain firm in my opinion that things will not be right in the college basketball world until Xavier and UC are both atop their respective conferences, gunning for each other's throats. Sure, some years X will lose, but in the long run, the health of the rivalry will bespeak the health of the programs.

And if that's not enough grounds to feel comfortable enjoying UC football, one particular Bearcat should put you over the hump - Mardy Gilyard. He's a wildly entertaining athlete who has admirably overcome some personal demons to develop into a real tribute to his team and school. He's a legitimate first round draft prospect.

bourbonman
09-24-2009, 07:19 AM
All this uc chest thumping is as about as exciting as it was a couple of years ago when uOFl had its brief period in the sun. They play very good football, yet in a weak conference and therefore everyone thinks they belong with the elite. And yes, they may beat the elite on the occasion they get a shot at them, but they don't have to play at an elite level week in and week out. If the big least gets to have an automatic BCS bid, then the WAC should as well, IMO. BTW, I hate all things uc. All hard core Xavier fans should.

_LH
09-24-2009, 07:34 AM
Everytime I start to think I can root for UC football their ignorant and arrogant fans prevent me from doing so. They cannot simply enjoy being 3-0 against some average teams, no, they want to believe they are as good as OSU and are a legit title contender.

Lamont Sanford
09-24-2009, 07:52 AM
As my man Clark Griswold put it..."I think you're all f#$%ed in the head"

UC sucks.

As I have stated before, I will NEVER root for any of the UC teams. I would root for the Taliban to beat UC in cricket if they were to play.

Kahns Krazy
09-24-2009, 09:16 AM
After living with Cincinnati (as a city) having a national reputation as the center of riots, inept government, and having two of the losingest professional sports franchises in the country, I'm happy when anything with the name "Cincinnati" on it puts some positive news in the paper.

I am not one of the UC fans that thinks they are national championship contenders. I think they are near or at the top of the Big East, which despite the bowl affiliation, is probably not even one of the best 6 conferences, as far as football goes.

Only time will tell what's in the future for the UC football program. Will they fizzle out if and when Coach Kelly leaves? Maybe, maybe not. Is the Big East dropping in status every year? Possibly. Probably.

How many of these arguments about the quality of UC's success have been made about Xavier's basketball team?

_LH
09-24-2009, 09:59 AM
After living with Cincinnati (as a city) having a national reputation as the center of riots, inept government, and having two of the losingest professional sports franchises in the country, I'm happy when anything with the name "Cincinnati" on it puts some positive news in the paper.

So you'd be okay with Cronin's Cats winning a national title or going to the Final 4?

Kahns Krazy
09-24-2009, 10:33 AM
No. I'd be okay with Cronin's cats losing to X in the national championship though...

The basketball team is different. I have lost some of my hatred for them since Huggins left and they've become walking suck, but I still revel in their losses. I want them to be good enough that losing important games is heartbreaking for them.

I actually think part of why I enjoy the football success is because of all the Huggins fans that insisted that booting Huggins was the end of UC's athletic program. I love throwing the football program back in their faces. Suck it Huggins. Nancy was right.

_LH
09-24-2009, 11:08 AM
I just can't bring myself to root for anything that gives those ignorant arrogrant sob's pleasure.

X-band '01
09-24-2009, 11:44 AM
Your heart is in the right place LH - but at this point I'm not afraid of UC's football program putting UC at a competitive advantage against Xavier. I think that's the gist of your posts in the past pertaining to UC football.

Under Minter and Dantonio, their football program went from below mediocre to above average; Brian Kelly has them headed in the right direction. I'm sure the potential is there for UC to get another BCS bowl in his tenure, and he'll be in the front of the line for a high-paying BCS gig. Then UC will have the challenge that Xavier has faced for 2 decades - which coach to hire?

Time will tell if they get that part of the equation right.

blobfan
09-24-2009, 11:48 AM
Isn't it ironic UC football fans now know what its like to be a Xavier Basketball fan?
Now Ohio State fans have turned the tables on UC using the exact same arguments they use against us only for football.

Finally UC is getting a taste of their own medicine

And yet the ignorant wankers choose to respond by heaping MORE insults on XU basketball, as opposed to finding any real empathy. Remember half time at last year's shootout?

...we have no practice fields. ... There is no ability to go out and practice a spread, no-huddle offense. We don't get 120 yards to do that. We have to do it on 50 yards because the defense is on the other half of the field. It is hard to do... And, of course, we have no indoor facility. In fact, to prepare for the Orange Bowl [last season], we had to practice in an indoor soccer facility. ...You can't even compare it to any of the teams in our league. There are no luxury boxes, so there is no revenue stream there, either. We have the smallest stadium [35,098 capacity]. ... But we have gone through a new president, and there was an interim president; you know how that goes. But I am an impatient guy.

What happend to Football being a tough sport? Someone get this guy a hanky.

All this uc chest thumping is as about as exciting as it was a couple of years ago when uOFl had its brief period in the sun. They play very good football, yet in a weak conference and therefore everyone thinks they belong with the elite. And yes, they may beat the elite on the occasion they get a shot at them, but they don't have to play at an elite level week in and week out. If the big least gets to have an automatic BCS bid, then the WAC should as well, IMO. BTW, I hate all things uc. All hard core Xavier fans should.

Bourban, change your UC football references to XU basketball references and you sound just like a UC fan talking about us. In fact, I think I've seen that quote word for word in the Enquirer comments section from UC fans.

blobfan
09-24-2009, 12:04 PM
Hmmmm. Wonder how the timing of this relates to the article Guy referenced.

Thomas: Precious little time to generate support for practice facilities (http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog04&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ada6629a0-7bd0-4605-8869-25a20cb5adabPost%3a9a83f269-a437-4331-a082-513f5ef16a41&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com)

_LH
09-24-2009, 12:13 PM
Your heart is in the right place LH - but at this point I'm not afraid of UC's football program putting UC at a competitive advantage against Xavier. I think that's the gist of your posts in the past pertaining to UC football.

Under Minter and Dantonio, their football program went from below mediocre to above average; Brian Kelly has them headed in the right direction. I'm sure the potential is there for UC to get another BCS bowl in his tenure, and he'll be in the front of the line for a high-paying BCS gig. Then UC will have the challenge that Xavier has faced for 2 decades - which coach to hire?

Time will tell if they get that part of the equation right.

That is not the gist at all. I am not so much anti UC football in regards to its relationship to XU as I am anti Big East football. I don't want BE football to succeed long term as I want someone to leave the league or for them to look to add more football teams to strengthen the league.

I am anti UC football because of their ignorant and arrogant fan base. They cannot be happy with what it has become and believe after 3 wins against average teams that they are NC contenders and on the same playing field as OSU.

UC fans did the same thing in basketball. They had a little success and all of the sudden their fans thought UC basketball = UK basketball. Reality is not their strong suit.

xubrew
09-24-2009, 12:24 PM
in comparing uc to ohio state, there is no question which one i detest more. it's ohio state.

one of the things i find puzzling about the buckeyes is that they come off, at least to me, as a big man with napoleon syndrome. why are so many of their fans so fixated on uc?? they rarely play each other, and when they have osu has always won. they've also had more bcs bowls in the past five years than uc has had top 25 finishes in their entire history...or at least in the last half-century. however, they always make it a point to talk down to uc, especially now that uc is starting to build itself up.

west virginia is the same way with marshall. from an outsiders perspective, it's ohio state that comes off looking more pathetic....at least in the world of fandom. it would be as if indiana was trying to convince themselves that butler is small time, and mid-major, and doesn't have the history, and doesn't have the fanbase that they have. indiana doesn't do that, but they would sound pretty ridiculous if they did. that's kind of how ohio state sounds to me whenever they go out of their way to bring it up and point out how much of a higher stature than they are than uc. like butler's basketball team, uc's football team isn't bad. they may not be as good as ohio state, but they're good enough to beat them some of the time (notice i didn't say most of the time). like butler, they have the ability to build themselves up if they keep doing like they've been doing.

....and yes, they sound like the uc fans of a decade ago who were so fixated on xavier, yet always went out of their way to tell anyone who would listen how much better they were and how much better their conference was and how they had more tradition and how they had more fans. it pretty much proves the point in the converse if you ask me. that's the trait that i find most annoying in regards to just about any fanbase, and ohio state is waaayy more prone to that than uc is...i'd say in either sport.

gladdenguy
09-24-2009, 12:46 PM
I hate Ohio State and UC with a passion.
I clearly root for both to lose every week.
However, this year I have changed. I now root for the Big 10 because of the Big 12 and SEC blowhards. They are the ones who think they are god's gift to football. Right now they might be, but heres to hoping it ends.
Michigan dominates the SEC head to head. I can't say the same for Ohio St..
I'm to the point where I hate the whole SEC. In the 80s and 90s the Big 10 would piss on the SEC. Now, the tide has turned and the people down South can suck it.
I hope Ohio St. wins and wins. Its good for the Big 10. We need it now.
I hate Florida and UC the most.
Last 2 bowl games Michigan has played Florida............Michigan 2 wins....Florida 0.
I can't wait until Rich Rod gets Michigan full of speed. These SEC schools can suck it.
And UC, they can suck it too. Go FRESNO!!!!!!

AdamtheFlyer
09-24-2009, 12:50 PM
Brew, Ohio State fans aren't all over UC. People in Cleveland, the bible belt in NE Ohio, Columbus, Dayton, etc...don't really care about UC. The only OSU fans that talk down to UC are people that live in the Cincy area that have Lance and others go on and on about UC and poke OSU fans in the ribs. That's a very small segment of the OSU fanbase.

But that's how this works. Pick any two teams, be they true rivals or simply neighbors like OSU/UC fans in Cincy. One will always poke the other, leading to a response, and then it looks like a cartoon tussle of stupity and both sides end up looking petty and dumb (see: the A10 board). UC media and players coming out and saying they're better than OSU when the teams don't play, have one common opponent, and won't see each other in a bowl game is just ridiculous. Worry about Fresno and the Big East. Ohio State players and media aren't talking about UC.

I've yet to meet an OSU fan from outside of the direct Cincy media market that looks at UC with anything other than a "Wow, Brian Kelly has the ball rolling" attitude. OSU fans are too busy with Penn State, knowing they'll make it 6 in a row against the school up north, and pining for Tressel to hire a true offensive coordinator so Pryor can flourish. There are more OSU fans that want Tressel fired for losing to top 5 teams than those that care about UC.

bourbonman
09-24-2009, 12:51 PM
Bourban, change your UC football references to XU basketball references and you sound just like a UC fan talking about us. In fact, I think I've seen that quote word for word in the Enquirer comments section from UC fans.

blob, I believe XU would move up in conference the first chance they could get. Can we assume uc would do the same for football?

And BTW, it's bourbOn, better know as the nectar of the gods. :rolleyes:

xubrew
09-24-2009, 02:37 PM
There are more OSU fans that want Tressel fired for losing to top 5 teams than those that care about UC.

you're probably right about this. it is another thing that i find ridiculous about the ohio state fanbase. i hate ohio state, but there is no denying that in the time tressel has been there, they've probably accomplished more than all but maybe one other team.

they've been to six major bowls in the last seven years, played for the title three times, and one it once. when you go to the title game three times every seven years, you're doing pretty well. prior to that, they'd played in six major bowls over the span of 23 years. in other words, it happened maybe once every four years (which is about as frequently as ud makes the ncaa tournament). now ohio state making a major bowl is practically a regular thing.

they've had five top five finishes, and one additional top ten finish. that may be more than any other team in the country. the only school that perhaps has more is usc. how many top five finishes did they have in the twenty years prior to tressel?? was it even five total?? you can probably list on one hand the programs that have had five top five finishes in a seven year span throughout the entire history of college football.

despite all that, these numbskulls want tressel fired. i hope it happens. some times the best way to make someone miserable is to give them exactly what they want. ohio state's team is high. the intelligence level of their fanbase is not. too bad that they're the ones that get to be spoiled.

when i think about it, i have nothing but praise and respect for ohio state's football program, and for that matter it's entire athletic dept. it's just their fans that i can't stomach.

AdamtheFlyer
09-24-2009, 03:03 PM
you're probably right about this. it is another thing that i find ridiculous about the ohio state fanbase. i hate ohio state, but there is no denying that in the time tressel has been there, they've probably accomplished more than all but maybe one other team.

they've been to six major bowls in the last seven years, played for the title three times, and one it once. when you go to the title game three times every seven years, you're doing pretty well. prior to that, they'd played in six major bowls over the span of 23 years. in other words, it happened maybe once every four years (which is about as frequently as ud makes the ncaa tournament). now ohio state making a major bowl is practically a regular thing.

they've had five top five finishes, and one additional top ten finish. that may be more than any other team in the country. the only school that perhaps has more is usc. how many top five finishes did they have in the twenty years prior to tressel?? was it even five total?? you can probably list on one hand the programs that have had five top five finishes in a seven year span throughout the entire history of college football.

despite all that, these numbskulls want tressel fired. i hope it happens. some times the best way to make someone miserable is to give them exactly what they want. ohio state's team is high. the intelligence level of their fanbase is not. too bad that they're the ones that get to be spoiled.

when i think about it, i have nothing but praise and respect for ohio state's football program, and for that matter it's entire athletic dept. it's just their fans that i can't stomach.

Hey, I'm a huge OSU fan and I can't stand the majority of the fanbase. But I don't think that's an OSU only trait. I can't stand the overwhelming majority of sports fans to begin with. I don't notice much of a difference between OSU fans and other teams.

As an OSU fan, my only gripe with Tressel is him being the guy on the offensive side of the ball. That's not his strength. He needs to hire a top flight offensive coordinator and let him call the plays. I will forever maintain that OSU beats USC if Tressel just realizes that the QB sneak works 95% of the time. They had two failed third and shorts that led to FGs against USC, one at the goal line. The potential 8 points OSU left off the board would have changed the game entirely and taken away USC's run. USC would not have put up any points on OSU with a one dimensional attack.

D-West & PO-Z
09-24-2009, 03:05 PM
one of the things i find puzzling about the buckeyes is that they come off, at least to me, as a big man with napoleon syndrome. why are so many of their fans so fixated on uc?? they rarely play each other, and when they have osu has always won. they've also had more bcs bowls in the past five years than uc has had top 25 finishes in their entire history...or at least in the last half-century. however, they always make it a point to talk down to uc, especially now that uc is starting to build itself up.

Which is the way some XU fans act towards UD. :D;)

blobfan
09-24-2009, 03:27 PM
blob, I believe XU would move up in conference the first chance they could get. Can we assume uc would do the same for football?

And BTW, it's bourbOn, better know as the nectar of the gods. :rolleyes:

Erg. Sorry about that. I think I need to go home and familiarize myself with this nectar to chase away my head cold. At least then I'd have a better excuse for stupid typos.
:confused:

xubrew
09-24-2009, 03:35 PM
Which is the way some XU fans act towards UD. :D;)

i couldn't help it. it was adam. i had to.

nevertheless, touche.

D-West & PO-Z
09-24-2009, 03:44 PM
i couldn't help it. it was adam. i had to.

nevertheless, touche.

Haha, I know. Just messin with you.

vee4xu
09-24-2009, 03:51 PM
I was born in, raised in and still return to NE Ohio. For the record, could you please tell me where the Bible belt is up there? If you mean Amish country, they don't even have TV's or read newspapers. For all they know UC is a question asking about their eyesight and OSU possibly the letters beginning the registration of their horse drawn buggy. Other than those folks, I have no idea where the NE Ohio Bible belt is located.

bourbonman
09-24-2009, 03:52 PM
Erg. Sorry about that. I think I need to go home and familiarize myself with this nectar to chase away my head cold. At least then I'd have a better excuse for stupid typos.
:confused:

blob, hope you feel better soon.

Masterofreality
09-24-2009, 03:55 PM
I have no idea where the NE Ohio Bible belt is located.

Around St. Colman parish....W 65th and Lorain Avenue.....

You'd better be carrying a Bible in your Belt to make it to the church alive!

vee4xu
09-24-2009, 04:30 PM
Around St. Colman parish....W 65th and Lorain Avenue.....

You'd better be carrying a Bible in your Belt to make it to the church alive!

Bible is obviously a code word for 9mm pistol. ;)

AdamtheFlyer
09-24-2009, 09:38 PM
I was born in, raised in and still return to NE Ohio. For the record, could you please tell me where the Bible belt is up there? If you mean Amish country, they don't even have TV's or read newspapers. For all they know UC is a question asking about their eyesight and OSU possibly the letters beginning the registration of their horse drawn buggy. Other than those folks, I have no idea where the NE Ohio Bible belt is located.

It was meant to be NW Ohio.

blobfan
09-25-2009, 09:51 AM
It was meant to be NW Ohio.

NW Ohio has a bible BELT? I always thought of it as pockets of fundamentalist insanity. We've got plenty of heathens in NW Ohio.

However, your main point is correct, in my experience. In quasi-rural NW Ohio, there are a bunch of OSU fans. CRAZY INSANE OSU fans. I know of a guy who spent over $2000 at an auction to buy a cement goose dressed in OSU gear. And there are headstones available with the OSU logo.

These people often aren't aware that Cincinnati has more than one University or that there is one with a decent football team.

Kahns Krazy
09-25-2009, 10:04 AM
Bible is obviously a code word for 9mm pistol. ;)

You haven't been reading this board enough. If there's a code, it's always code for black people.

Juice
09-25-2009, 10:11 AM
NW Ohio has a bible BELT? I always thought of it as pockets of fundamentalist insanity. We've got plenty of heathens in NW Ohio.

However, your main point is correct, in my experience. In quasi-rural NW Ohio, there are a bunch of OSU fans. CRAZY INSANE OSU fans. I know of a guy who spent over $2000 at an auction to buy a cement goose dressed in OSU gear. And there are headstones available with the OSU logo.

These people often aren't aware that Cincinnati has more than one University or that there is one with a decent football team.

My friends once went to a Bengals Browns game in Cleveland and the Bengals actually won. As the game let out and people were talking shit to each other, a group of Browns fans yelled at my friends saying, "At least we still got the Buckeyes."

The people were either too stupid to know that Cincinnati was in the state of Ohio or believed that the northern part of the state had a larger claim on Ohio state as the southern part.

My friends and I hate OSU with a passion but I think the story shows the differences of opinion between people in the northern parts of Ohio compared to the southern part.

blobfan
09-25-2009, 10:20 AM
My friends once went to a Bengals Browns game in Cleveland and the Bengals actually won. As the game let out and people were talking shit to each other, a group of Browns fans yelled at my friends saying, "At least we still got the Buckeyes."

The people were either too stupid to know that Cincinnati was in the state of Ohio or believed that the northern part of the state had a larger claim on Ohio state as the southern part.

My friends and I hate OSU with a passion but I think the story shows the differences of opinion between people in the northern parts of Ohio compared to the southern part.

I'm surprised at that. I'd have thought OSU would have been first on the list rather than the fallback team.

I think Cincinnati is a bit more Southern than the rest of the state (I mean in spirit, not literally). Was it Twain that said we didn't know if we were Southern or Northern? It makes us a bit separate from the rest of the state. There's also the alumni factor. In Ohio, it's a lot easier to find someone you know that went to OSU, even if it's just a branch. And OSU doesn't have any branches south of Columbus.

Come to think of it, I'm pretty lucky in that regard. I have links to 4 of the 5 towns that have an OSU campus. If I hadn't drank the blue koolaid, I might have attended OSU myself. God bless the Jesuits and their tempting ways for luring this undecided, agnostic girl to Xavier all those years ago.

AdamtheFlyer
09-25-2009, 03:45 PM

Pockets, a belt, whatever you call it. Those farm towns have 300 people and 16 churches. Those towns shut down every fall weekend. Friday night the whole town goes to the high school game, Saturday everyone watches the Buckeyes, and Sunday they go to church. Pick a weekend day, and a criminal could have free reign on a whole neighborhood.

X-band '01
09-27-2009, 12:41 PM
UC is now a Top 10 team; I'm afraid their bangwagon ain't falling apart anytime soon.

wkrq59
09-27-2009, 03:38 PM
I love good exciting college football. And I'm an old fart.
I really enjoyed seeing Boise State upset Oklahoma and the kid propose in the end zone. I enjoy watching Utah. Used to love watching Florida State until Bobby started drooling on the sidelines.
I get a kick out of "Rudy" even though it's overly camp. And, yes, having covered UC football and seen all their warts and foibles up close and personal, I enjoy watching Brian Kelly's teams, especially this current one.
You see I know many, many wonderful people --many dead now--who poured their hearts and souls into that football program much the way Xavier fans did in the 70s and 80s for basketball and who were the subjects of derision and mockery.
Yeah, UC football fans can be obnoxious and irritating, much the same way that many Xavier basketball fans were in the 80s.
But if you enjoy good college football, where most of the combatants will never make a dime in the NFL, you'll understand why I enjoy the game, for the most part whichever team is playing. Hey, I've seen Mt. St. Joseph, and Thomas More games that were fun to watch.
It takes too much effort to hate anything UC, my wife has a degree from that institution.
On the subject of coaches, I hope Brian Kelly stays at UC for years and years to come, but I felt the same way about Pete , and Skip and later Sean.
Fan is short for fanatic, which in the words of Billy Joel, "just may be the loonitic you're looking for."
I've been watching and enjoying the game since my dad took me to my first Xavier football so many years ago the details escape me. Except for the hit John Martinkovic put on a newbie running back in a spring game on Corcoran Field. Wow that was a hit. Right in the bread-basket, eyes up, head up and shoulders driving through with his arms wrapping up. That's one you always remember, because you could feel it without even seeing it.
Since Huggins left UC I've gone from detesting UC basketball and for the most part its naer-do-well players to being indifferent to the program with Mick and his fantasies. Except when they play Xavier. Then they can go fly a kite.
Xavier has an outstanding club football team. Miami is nowhere near the tradition-laden program my mother, who graduated from there, introduced me to 60 years ago. UC right now is fun to watch, and so are the local kids who are trying to make an up-hill climb to glory that probably will elude them. Meanwhile, it's fun to watch their ride from afar through TV.:D:D:D

XURunner85
09-27-2009, 04:09 PM
HAve I ever mentioned that I HATE UC!!!!!

D-West & PO-Z
09-27-2009, 05:48 PM
UC is now a Top 10 team; I'm afraid their bangwagon ain't falling apart anytime soon.

At South Florida will be a tough one to win.

Strange Brew
09-27-2009, 08:11 PM
It takes too much effort to hate anything UC

I find it extremely easy to hate everything UC. If they had a curling team I'd wish that their best player would slip and crack his skull on the ice. Yeah, that may be extreme but it's the truth.

D-West & PO-Z
09-27-2009, 10:11 PM
I find it extremely easy to hate everything UC. If they had a curling team I'd wish that their best player would slip and crack his skull on the ice. Yeah, that may be extreme but it's the truth.

Haha same. I think its harder to differentiate between which sports you like and which you dont. Its easier to just hate them all.

GuyFawkes38
09-27-2009, 10:47 PM
I don't like the arguments, "well, your a Catholic, so why don't you like ND" or "your a resident of Cincinnati, which is a shitty city with riots and Jerry Springer, so why don't you support a good aspect of it and root for UC".

Seems to be a big division between longtime Cincy residents who are fans of UC football and non-residents or recent residents who hate UC.

GoMuskies
09-28-2009, 01:16 AM
The Big East has surged ahead of the Big Ten in the Sagarin ratings. More ammo for UC fans.

GuyFawkes38
09-28-2009, 01:44 AM
The Big East has surged ahead of the Big Ten in the Sagarin ratings. More ammo for UC fans.

The AD's of the Big East do a much better job of hiring coaches. But a troubling aspect of the conference (especially when compared to the Big Ten) is the infrastructure.

Cincinnati is a prime example of the great coach/awful stadium and practice facilities phenomenon. But it really extends to other schools in the conference. Eventually it might hurt the conference.

JimmyTwoTimes37
09-28-2009, 08:35 AM
Boise State vs Cincinnati game for the BcS championship.

That is currently giving the supporters nightmares.

They are actively cheering Ohio State, Texas, Florida, LSU, Alabama, VT, USC, Iowa, etc...

With so much parity in College football, just go to a 4 team playoff system already. December or January Madness will make more money eventually than these bowl games. If that goes well, expand it to 8 teams. Use the big old time bowl game advertisements and sites in the playoff system and rotate them each year accordingly. Keep all the other 800 million bowl games for the teams who don't make the playoffs.

GoMuskies
09-28-2009, 08:51 AM
Boise State vs Cincinnati game for the BcS championship.

If those two are #3 and #4 prior to the SEC Championship game, I fully expect the SEC Championship game to be repeated as the BCS Championship Game.

JimmyTwoTimes37
09-28-2009, 09:37 AM
If those two are #3 and #4 prior to the SEC Championship game, I fully expect the SEC Championship game to be repeated as the BCS Championship Game.

True, its a long long shot. But BSU vs Cincy would be a dream come true.

Only Idaho and southwestern Ohio would watch the game. Ratings would be much lower. Everyone would complain and scream and yell. It'd be absolute chaos. One game at a time BSU and Cincy. Win out and controversy/anger ensues - like an old man buying soup at a deli (Seinfeld reference)

Masterofreality
09-28-2009, 02:15 PM
College Football is just not that interesting to me to begin with.

That being said, it's 3:14pm on September 28, 2009- and uc still sucks!

D-West & PO-Z
09-28-2009, 03:46 PM
College Football is just not that interesting to me to begin with.

That being said, it's 3:14pm on September 28, 2009- and uc still sucks!

Samesies.

The NFL is 1 billion times better.

GuyFawkes38
10-03-2009, 08:13 PM
So what happens if UC goes undefeated? Are they in the championship game? if not and they put in a 1 loss Big Ten/Big 12/Pac Ten/SEC team it seems like it would be a disaster for the Big East.

vee4xu
10-04-2009, 08:34 PM
Wait til they see that UC is rated #8 and OSU #9 this week. The only joke bigger than UC being rated #8 is Boise State being rated #6.

Kahns Krazy
10-05-2009, 01:38 PM
The Cats will get a big test at USF on Thursday, 10/15. The Thursday night games have been tough for the visiting teams this year.

Snipe
10-05-2009, 06:14 PM
Lie the Cats or not, you have to give Kelly credit.

Are they really the 8th best team in the nation? How in the heck would I know? But they have finished ranked the last two years and it looks like more of the same this year. The man is incredible.

Bengals won the Battle of Ohio and sit atop the division. UC is ranked ahead of OSU. And 5 of the last 7 high school state champs are coming out of the Queen City. Don't look now but today it feels like I am living in a football town.

JimmyTwoTimes37
10-06-2009, 04:01 PM
So what happens if UC goes undefeated? Are they in the championship game? if not and they put in a 1 loss Big Ten/Big 12/Pac Ten/SEC team it seems like it would be a disaster for the Big East.

Here's an article on the whole situation you are looking for...

http://www.cbssports.com/columns/story/12322152

danaandvictory
10-06-2009, 04:14 PM
Jesus I hate Gregg Doyel. What a complete dickhead. I wish someone would beat his face in with a crowbar.

AviatorX
10-06-2009, 04:32 PM
Without reading an ounce of his writing, you can tell the guy is a major tool just based off his picture.

SixFig
10-06-2009, 06:36 PM
I had a laugh when some commentator on the radio said that UC and Boise State could easily "crash the BCS party" as if the Big East wasn't a BCS conference (at least in football).

I'd say that the Big East is the A-10 of football. And UC is the Xavier!

XUglow
10-07-2009, 08:42 AM
I had a laugh when some commentator on the radio said that UC and Boise State could easily "crash the BCS party" as if the Big East wasn't a BCS conference (at least in football).

I'd say that the Big East is the A-10 of football. And UC is the Xavier!

The MWC is the A-10 of football. Utah is the Xavier. Boise State is the Gonzaga.

That was a big oops saying that UC would be crashing the party, but I think he was talking about the NC game in this case and not just the 5 BCS bowls.

Fireball
10-07-2009, 09:20 AM
Without reading an ounce of his writing, you can tell the guy is a major tool just based off his picture.

Doyel is a tool, but I'm not sure that he's not right.

Kahns Krazy
10-07-2009, 10:42 AM
Doyel is a tool, but I'm not sure that he's not right.

It's a stupid argument. He's arguing that UC / Boise doesn't deserve to get into the NC game on the basis of the 5 teams they've played. No shit sherlock. I guess that's why neither of them are ranked #1 or #2.

Now, if you suppose an undefeated season for either team, and a lack of two other undefeated teams, you have a completely different - and just as pointless unless it happens - argument.

If either one - and UC especially so because of the BCS affiliation - goes undefeated and nobody else does, they earn a spot in the NC game in my opnion. They'd be heavy underdogs, but the way the system is set up, I don't see how you deny them a spot.

Fred Garvin
10-07-2009, 02:36 PM
Jesus I hate Gregg Doyel. What a complete dickhead. I wish someone would beat his face in with a crowbar.

Brew's in love with Doyel.

GuyFawkes38
10-07-2009, 02:51 PM
I think it's possible kahns. What hurts UC is that the OOC schedule suddenly looks weak (Oregon St., Miami, Illinois, fresno st.).

In the above scenario of everyone having 1 loss but UC, I'm guessing Florida gets in. Do the voters pick UC, or do they go for USC with the much more impressive resume outside of the Washington loss.

XUglow
10-07-2009, 03:06 PM
If either one - and UC especially so because of the BCS affiliation - goes undefeated and nobody else does, they earn a spot in the NC game in my opnion. They'd be heavy underdogs, but the way the system is set up, I don't see how you deny them a spot.

So, if Belmont beats Wisconsin and Vandy in December and runs the table in the A-Sun, they would deserve a #1 seed in March? UC may be deserving, but Boise needs to turn up the schedule a bit. (Think Memphis in basketball.) BSU knows they don't get any respect from conference wins, so why schedule Miami, UC Davis, and Bowling Green? Oregon was a good win. Great. Put 3 more games like that on the schedule.

GuyFawkes38
10-07-2009, 03:27 PM
yeah, as glow notes, the system only garantees a BCS bowl for the Big East champion. Outside of that, anything is fair game for how the voters choose the BCS Championship game.

Kahns Krazy
10-07-2009, 03:34 PM
Comparing the BCS in football to the field of 65 in basketball is as useless as the condom in my wallet if I'm trapped in an elevator with Miss Muskie.

XUglow
10-07-2009, 04:02 PM
Comparing the BCS in football to the field of 65 in basketball is as useless as the condom in my wallet if I'm trapped in an elevator with Miss Muskie.

The closest thing to being put into the BCS NC is being given a #1 seed. I was only trying to point out the WAC is ultra weak. The whole conference has 2 BCS conference wins: Oregon (4-1) and Washington State (1-4).

Glow to Miss Muskie: Someone just made a post about you and sex in a stuck elevator.

Miss Muskie: With someone or was it just me in the elevator?

Glow: With him, I think.

MM: Oh. Probably not, but the thought would go through my head.

Kahns Krazy
10-08-2009, 02:42 PM
Hmm... would I rather be in the elevator and have her at least think about it, or be the security guard with the video surveillance camera and find out what she does when it's just her.

Kahns Krazy
10-15-2009, 03:55 PM
It's an interesting night for the bangwagon. A loss would drop UC like a rock. A win would go some way to justifying the current ranking.

GuyFawkes38
10-15-2009, 03:59 PM
I'm in a tough position.

It would be great to watch UC lose. But on the other hand, it would be even better to see UC win out and NOT play in the national championship game. But there is the risk that they might actually play in it if they win out.

JimmyTwoTimes37
10-15-2009, 06:04 PM
I'm in a tough position.

It would be great to watch UC lose. But on the other hand, it would be even better to see UC win out and NOT play in the national championship game. But there is the risk that they might actually play in it if they win out.

USF, UConn, Pitt, WVU will all be very tough games for UC. I really don't see them going undefeated. Even if they do, I doubt they pass the big dogs.

Also I hate to say it, but Ohio State is the one to watch. If they win out, they can sneak into that national championship while everyone in SEC/Big 12 beat up on each other.

chico
10-15-2009, 06:27 PM
I really can't see Va. Tech losing again this year, especially if they get past Tech this weekend. And whoever wins the SEC will be pretty much guaranteed a spot.

An awful lot has to happen for UC to make it to the title game.

GuyFawkes38
10-15-2009, 06:38 PM
It'll be interesting. yeah, I tend to think UC has no shot at the championship.

I do think many are getting a bit sick of OSU. The Big Ten is weak. They played a weak OOC schedule outside of USC who they lost to. If it's a competition between USC and OSU, most would pick USC due to the head to head match up.

GoMuskies
10-15-2009, 07:28 PM
UC in a war in Tampa tonight.

XUglow
10-15-2009, 07:36 PM
UC in a war in Tampa tonight.

2 plays into the second quarter, and UC is on top. Bam!

I was very unimpressed with Boise St. last night. UC should jump them if they win.

JimmyTwoTimes37
10-15-2009, 07:43 PM
2 plays into the second quarter, and UC is on top. Bam!

I was very unimpressed with Boise St. last night. UC should jump them if they win.

This USF QB is gonna be real real good in the next couple years.

GoMuskies
10-15-2009, 07:44 PM
This USF QB is gonna be real real good in the next couple years.

Yeah, but it's too bad Grothe got hurt. He was a good one, too.

GoMuskies
10-15-2009, 07:52 PM
And now the best part of the evening: Jon Gruden into the booth to talk about being the next head coach at Louisville.

X-band '01
10-15-2009, 08:07 PM
Yeah, but it's too bad Grothe got hurt. He was a good one, too.

I miss his GroHawk hairdo.

And now the best part of the evening: Jon Gruden into the booth to talk about being the next head coach at Louisville.

I also missed it when Kragthorpe was fired by UofL.

GoMuskies
10-15-2009, 08:08 PM
Kragthorpe fired himself over the last 2+ seasons.

chico
10-15-2009, 08:11 PM

Nah, he's in Tampa talking to the Bucs about coming back. If the Bucs keep playing this bad they should have to wear the old orange jerseys with the swashbuckling pirate on the helmet.

waggy
10-15-2009, 09:09 PM
Brian Kelly is a wizard.

GuyFawkes38
10-15-2009, 10:10 PM
Brian Kelly is a wizard.

seriously, he needs to go somewhere else and make a lot of money.

GuyFawkes38
10-15-2009, 10:33 PM
Looks like Tony Pike is seriously injured. As much as I hate UC, it's awful to see serious injuries in college play. You only get such a short window.

JimmyTwoTimes37
10-16-2009, 08:34 AM
Looks like Tony Pike is seriously injured. As much as I hate UC, it's awful to see serious injuries in college play. You only get such a short window.

What did they say was wrong with him? I heard sprained left wrist, but that was the initial diagnosis

Fred Garvin
10-16-2009, 12:35 PM
It was an electric atmosphere watching in Clifton last night. Kahn's and Snipe led the UC cheers. Greg Hoard said Pike would miss Lousiville on the postgame.

63,000 last night in Tampa. UC has gotta do something about increasing capacity at Nippert to compete in the long run.

Expect to see many of you at our homecoming game vs The Ville.

_LH
10-16-2009, 01:18 PM
Is that S. FLA's home field for all of their games? How close is it to campus?

XUglow
10-16-2009, 02:11 PM
63,000 last night in Tampa. UC has gotta do something about increasing capacity at Nippert to compete in the long run.

I gotta call BS on that attendance. The stadium seats right at 66,000, and the upper deck was damn near empty.

JimCoker
10-16-2009, 02:41 PM
Tony Pike's situation is up in the air. He bent the steel rod in his forearm. If they can bend it back, he will probably only be out one week. If they determine that he needs a stronger rod, it will be closer to a month to six weeks.

Kahns Krazy
10-16-2009, 02:42 PM
Tony Pike's situation is up in the air. He bent the steel rod in his forearm. If they can bend it back, he will probably only be out one week. If they determine that he needs a stronger rod, it will be closer to a month to six weeks.

That is gross.

sirthought
10-16-2009, 03:23 PM
- It was a plate that shifted, not a rod that bent. The plate is screwed to the bone to keep it stable. Reports are that he was in class early this morning with a hard cast on the arm. Josh Katzowitz tweated that things might not be as bad as first thought. I'm surprised Pike was in Florida banged up last night and in class early this morning. Someone is cracking the whip.

- The USF Bulls play in the same stadium as the Tampa Bay Bucs. Many fans want a stadium on campus, but I don't see that happening if they are able to get that many fans out to a game now without the construction costs. Why not use the stadium that's already built?

- UC should consider playing at Paul Brown Stadium before wasting money on expanding Nippert. The money it would cost for expansion could go into the street car line and have every student (not just football fans) using it for more than the games. If the team stays this hot the fans will come out to PBS and they'd be able to attract more schools like tO$U.

Kahns Krazy
10-19-2009, 10:43 AM
UC at #5 in the first BCS standings. Things still need to happen beyond their control, but it's making for some interesting chatter.

GoMuskies
10-19-2009, 10:46 AM
Pretty hard to believe. They should pass #4 Boise State, too, so they really just need some help with Texas, Bama and Florida. I really think that if Bama and Florida go into the SECCG undefeated and #1 and #2 and UC is #3 that Florida and Bama would just play again in Pasadena, so I think they need more help than just Texas losing.

I also think Boise deserves consideration IF (and only if) both they and Oregon win out.

dc_x
10-19-2009, 10:57 AM
Pretty hard to believe. They should pass #4 Boise State, too, so they really just need some help with Texas, Bama and Florida. I really think that if Bama and Florida go into the SECCG undefeated and #1 and #2 and UC is #3 that Florida and Bama would just play again in Pasadena, so I think they need more help than just Texas losing.

I also think Boise deserves consideration IF (and only if) both they and Oregon win out.

I agree. I think one of those SEC teams needs to lose twice for UC to move ahead.

Kahns Krazy
10-19-2009, 11:00 AM
I think a repeat of the SEC championship for the national championship would be dumb.

_LH
10-19-2009, 11:07 AM
Hopefully UC will lose to WVU or Pitt, I think they will lose one of them. UC has a good team this year but certainly not a NC title game worthy team (not that it matters as being worthy does not come into play in the BCS system).

I think UC would be an Elite 8 team in a 16 team playoff format.

XUglow
10-19-2009, 11:20 AM
I think a repeat of the SEC championship for the national championship would be dumb.

I agree 100%. I thought it was dumb a few years ago when they were talking about OSU playing Michigan again. (Thank goodness that didn't happen.) It was dumb when they were talking about Texas vs. Oklahoma, and it would be dumb for Bama to play Florida back-to-back unless everyone else in the country totally melts down and leaves those 2 teams as the VERY clear 1 and 2 teams in the country. I cannot see that happening.

DC Muskie
10-19-2009, 11:20 AM
When I want to get my UC football updates, I always turn to my fellow Xavier fans!

Thanks guys!

JimmyTwoTimes37
10-19-2009, 11:22 AM

In addition to that, I don't think it would ever happen either. Similar to the 1 vs 2 Michigan Ohio State situation a few years back with the last game in the regular season.

X-band '01
10-19-2009, 02:11 PM
In addition to that, I don't think it would ever happen either. Similar to the 1 vs 2 Michigan Ohio State situation a few years back with the last game in the regular season.

One of the reasons it wouldn't happen is because of the polls - one team will usually drop about 3-4 spots depending on the margin of victory. God help either team if one blows out the other.

As for UC, it's not inconceivable that their BCS ranking could vault upward if they can run the table - their computer rankings would be helped with wins against Pitt and WVU (now Top 25 teams). I think they wind up splitting those games, but they'll have earned the right to get their butts kicked in the national title game if they do finish 12-0.

Fred Garvin
10-19-2009, 02:52 PM
As for UC, it's not inconceivable that their BCS ranking could vault upward if they can run the table - their computer rankings would be helped with wins against Pitt and WVU (now Top 25 teams). I think they wind up splitting those games, but they'll have earned the right to get their butts kicked in the national title game if they do finish 12-0.

We are gonna win it all. Ain't no stoppin' us now.

Masterofreality
10-19-2009, 03:13 PM
SucKS football= BCS Light.

Nothing like learning your scheduling from udump basketball. Play one decent "big" school- (Oregon State (?), football-c/Pitt, basketball-dump) and a bunch of semi major programs. Sorry, Illinois doesn't count. They just lost to freakin' Indiana last weekend.

The Big Greased rep will get rolled in whatever BCS Bowl game they play in. If SucKS wants some respect from me, let's see 'em play some SEC schools other than Vandy or somebody from the top half of the Big 12 or Big 10. Oregon State is 4-2 with no signature win. Fresno is 3-3. S Florida beat 2-4 Florida State which is a shadow of itself.

The football program is now mirroring the Charlatan scheduling tactics of Thuggysaurus. Do not be decieved, my friends.

waggy
10-19-2009, 03:17 PM
All the teams have warts. If I were to pick the two teams I would most like to see matched-up, it would be Alabama vs. Southern Cal. Florida is good, but the Tebow coverage has me light-headed. Well, more light-headed than usual.

Fred Garvin
10-19-2009, 03:24 PM
Bama's been the most consistent team. That said, I think SCarolina coulda given them a run for their money if Garcia wansn't such a shytty quarterback. He missed some dude for a wide open td and that was all she wrote.

XUglow
10-19-2009, 03:37 PM
Bama's been the most consistent team. That said, I think SCarolina coulda given them a run for their money if Garcia wansn't such a shytty quarterback. He missed some dude for a wide open td and that was all she wrote.

While that is all true, Bama's QB has got to be the head of the shitty QB club, and they are still awesome. I cannot imagine how good this team would be if they had a good QB.

JimmyTwoTimes37
10-19-2009, 03:40 PM

True. Alabama got royally F'ed last year so they have that motivation going for them. Undefeated throughout regular season in the SEC only to lose their first game in the championship game. Texas got screwed too. As well as USC who was arguably playing the best football out of anyone late in the season.

UC is tied for the 67th best schedule in the country, worse than Boise State. Their future schedule is ranked as 80th toughest in college football. They have a lot of hurdles to pass to get into the championship game.

Teams UC needs to root against in the immediate future are fairly obvious. Florida, Texas, Boise State, Alabama, Iowa. However, teams to watch out for on the horizon that could sneak and pass them up even if UC goes undefeated are USC, LSU, Miami (FL), Oregon, GT, Penn State, Oklahoma State.

powerofX
10-19-2009, 03:50 PM
I agree 100%. I thought it was dumb a few years ago when they were talking about OSU playing Michigan again. (Thank goodness that didn't happen.) It was dumb when they were talking about Texas vs. Oklahoma, and it would be dumb for Bama to play Florida back-to-back unless everyone else in the country totally melts down and leaves those 2 teams as the VERY clear 1 and 2 teams in the country. I cannot see that happening.

The only reason the OSU/Michigan rematch was even debated was the fact that the regular season game was an OSU home game while the BCS championship game would be at a neutral site. Well, the SEC championship is a neutral game. What kind of bogus outcome would it be for Bama to win the SEC and then a rematch where Florida wins in the bowl and Florida gets the nod because they won the neutral site game at the better neutral site.

They'd have to do a horsepooey world cup qualifier "aggregate goal differential" for the crown!

They really need to put in a line that says you need to win your league to be in the BCS championship - problem solved....solved except that there is no playoff and some conferences have a championship game and others don't...but other than that, problem solved.

Juice
10-19-2009, 03:58 PM
They really need to put in a line that says you need to win your league to be in the BCS championship - problem solved....solved except that there is no playoff and some conferences have a championship game and others don't...but other than that, problem solved.

That's a decent idea but it still allows fraudulent teams a chance and blocks some other teams.

Miami, Georgia Tech, and Va Tech are in a virtual lock right now for their division in the ACC (UVA is actually the leader but there is no chance they will stay undefeated in the ACC) while a shitty team in the other division will advance to the ACC championship. The divisional system in the ACC, Big 12, and SEC blocks some teams with stupid tie breakers while crap teams advance to the championship in the other divisions.

XUglow
10-19-2009, 04:08 PM

I agree with this suggestion. The problem would be solved, but they need a uniform way of deciding the champ. The Big 12's tie-breaker is stupid. If they used the SEC tie-breaker, Texas plays for the title last year rather than OU.

Kahns Krazy
10-20-2009, 10:02 AM
I agree with this suggestion. The problem would be solved, but they need a uniform way of deciding the champ. The Big 12's tie-breaker is stupid. If they used the SEC tie-breaker, Texas plays for the title last year rather than OU.

I think it should be up to each conference how to determine their champion. It seems to work ok for basketball.

JimmyTwoTimes37
10-20-2009, 10:27 PM
Mo Egger from 1530 wrote down the scenario perfectly:

"Here's what I have to spend the next seven weeks rooting for..
*UC to win all their games.
*Texas to lose once, maybe twice.
*Someone to lose the SEC title game.
*Boise State to lose, while at the same time hoping that two teams on their schedule win because UC played them too.
*Iowa to lose, potentially to Ohio State, but then I need Ohio State to lose a bunch of games so it hurts USC's strength of schedule.
*USC to lose. And I should root for Washington to lose more too to make the Trojans' loss to them look worse.
*Oregon State to keep winning, especially when they play USC this week, but at the same time I'll have to worry about what that might to do USC's strength of schedule.
-South Florida, who we hated last week, to keep winning.
-Oh yeah, I have to root for LSU, Miami, Georgia Tech, and Oregon to lose too.
-Oh, and I need Florida State to win, to bolster South Florida's profile, which would enhance Cincinnati's.
-Also, I need to root for Louisville, UConn, West Virginia, Pitt, Syrcause, and Rutgers to all win even though they'll be playing each other.
-The other teams in the Big Ten to keep winning, helping raise Illinois stock, because the Cats play them. But I'm also supposed to root against Iowa (as we already covered) and Penn State.
-Oh, almost forgot, need to root against TCU as well, but they play BYU, who lost to Florida State, who lost to South Florida, who lost to Cincinnati. At the same time, they also play defending national champ Utah, who beat Louisville.
-I suppose I'm also suppose to root against Oregon, since they played Boise State, but Oregon plays USC. Who do I root for there? A neverending game to the death?"

GoMuskies
10-27-2009, 05:01 PM
Ohio State is UC's bitch.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704597704574487483196226454.html