PDA

View Full Version : National Equality March

Snipe
09-22-2009, 01:23 AM
Students for the National Equality March issue call to action (http://www.cincinnatibeacon.com/index.php?/contents/comments/students_for_the_national_equality_march_issue_cal l_to_action/#comments)

Students for the National Equality March (NEMStudents,) have issued a call to action, demanding that students across the country organize for the event and for the long-term movement for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer (LGBTQ) rights.

I want to voice my support for the LGBTQ community. First, however, I was wondering what in the hell the LGBTQ community is.

I guess we need to define some terms.

Lesbian- A woman that likes other women. That is simple enough.

Gay- A guy that likes other guys, or a woman that likes another woman. A woman can be gay, but a guy cannot be a lesbian. I see some discrimination here. I want to be a lesbian.

Bisexual- Anyone that will try to plug every hole no matter who is on the table. More power to them. They are dedicated to hedonism and to seek pleasure and avoid pain. They just want to have fun. I am not that way, but I can see their argument.

The T is LGBTQ stands for Transgender. That wasn't even a word when I grew up.

Transgender - It really means anything you want it to mean. You can be pre-op or post op, which means you can go through surgery and maim you genitalia or you can simply keep what you got and say you are whatever you want.

You can be born a man and choose to be a woman. You are allowed to go back to being a man again. That is not against the rules. You can be born a woman and claim to be a man. You can go back to being a woman later if you like.

Now if you don't think we covered all the bases, I would submit to you the "Q" in the LGBTQ. The Q stands for Queer, and evidently that means that you don't fit into one of the above categories.

That is mind-blowing stuff. I hope I never have to explain any of this to my kids. I would have a hard time doing it.

For the record, I will write myself down as a "Q". I believe that I am a steamboat, trapped inside a man's body. I always wanted to be a steamboat growing up, and I have always had a fondness for caliapy music and steam powered paddles. My steel would be so strong, and I would love to float above the water. And anyone that ever heard me fart would swear that I have coal fired bowels. .If I could only churn the water, I would self actualize and be the complete me. I want to be a steam boat! Is that what the “Q” means?

Define them yourself. I get gay, lesbian and bisexual. That is pretty straightforward. But what do the T&Q really mean in “the LGBTQ community”. Seriously. I want to support them, I just have no idea what they are talking about.

Pete Delkus
09-22-2009, 04:12 AM
Students for the National Equality March issue call to action (http://www.cincinnatibeacon.com/index.php?/contents/comments/students_for_the_national_equality_march_issue_cal l_to_action/#comments)

I want to voice my support for the LGBTQ community. First, however, I was wondering what in the hell the LGBTQ community is...

. I always wanted to be a steamboat growing up, and I have always had a fondness for caliapy music and steam powered paddles. My steel would be so strong, and I would love to float above the water. .... I want to support them, I just have no idea what they are talking about.

My favorite line of the day so far (it's 5:09 AM).

I would be my Freshman year Xavier ALL Card. I think it would confuse people.

Wow...I'm out!

Damn, that feels good!

BandAid
09-22-2009, 08:48 AM
Ten dollars says the national media will give the GLBTQ March more attention than the pro-life march.

It was always my understanding the "Q" stood for "Questioning," like Andy Bernard in The Office this past week.

XUglow
09-22-2009, 10:12 AM
I am off to a GHW weekend in Birmingham, AL that weekend, so I will miss the march. GHW? Glad you asked... that stands for Golf and Heterosexual Women. The golf will be at Ross Bridge. No word yet on whether the women will be pre-approved or catch-as-catch-can.

GoMuskies
09-22-2009, 10:19 AM
I think T would be those like the South African sprinter.

blobfan
09-22-2009, 12:16 PM
I'm not Family but I definitely consider myself a friend of Family. However, I'm so sick of these calls to action to support each self-defined groups right to force acceptance of their specific agenda. Why is it no longer acceptable to simply tolerate differences? Now we have to ACCEPT them AND codify them into our laws. Every group wants to be specificially mentioned in anti-discrimination laws. Why can't we just say 'you can't discriminate against someone without objective justificaton' and set parameters that way? If you beat someone up just because they are different than you, automatically increase the penalty instead of adding a specific discrimination charge.

Every time a stupid person does something stupid we get a debate about whether or not they did it because of their skin color or gender, or who they sleep with. Sometimes people are just stupid or mean. Sometimes people discriminate against us because we are behaving like an asshole and it has nothing to do with our skin color, gender, weight, height, sexual orientation, religion, dress, length of hair or our astral sign's alignment with Jupiter.

As to the original topic, I believe the T is for Transgender, not Transexual, and Q is for Questioning. It was changed because GLBT did not cover those who don't consider themselves to be a specific sex and might be in the process of switching sexes.

Snipe
09-22-2009, 01:09 PM
I'm not Family but I definitely consider myself a friend of Family. However, I'm so sick of these calls to action to support each self-defined groups right to force acceptance of their specific agenda. Why is it no longer acceptable to simply tolerate differences? Now we have to ACCEPT them AND codify them into our laws. Every group wants to be specificially mentioned in anti-discrimination laws. Why can't we just say 'you can't discriminate against someone without objective justificaton' and set parameters that way? If you beat someone up just because they are different than you, automatically increase the penalty instead of adding a specific discrimination charge.

Every time a stupid person does something stupid we get a debate about whether or not they did it because of their skin color or gender, or who they sleep with. Sometimes people are just stupid or mean. Sometimes people discriminate against us because we are behaving like an asshole and it has nothing to do with our skin color, gender, weight, height, sexual orientation, religion, dress, length of hair or our astral sign's alignment with Jupiter.

As to the original topic, I believe the T is for Transgender, not Transexual, and Q is for Questioning. It was changed because GLBT did not cover those who don't consider themselves to be a specific sex and might be in the process of switching sexes.

I think you make some good points and I agree with you in full on the major points.

Looking at the original source T was for Transgender but the Q was spelled out as Queer.

I wonder who how the process is when you want to add a another letter. Is there a committee? How does this get approval?

I was pretty much fine with gay rights. Then gay became LGB and that was fine too. But it doesn't seem that they know any boundry or that they are close to stopping now. And what if you were gay, fought for gay rights, but didn't want all those Ts and Qs piggybacking on your blood, sweat and tears? Shouldn't they get their own movement?

If anyone can guess the next letter that they will add to LGBTQ, and define what that letter will stand for I will buy you a beer at Danas when it happens.

Emp
09-22-2009, 02:51 PM
Ten dollars says the national media will give the GLBTQ March more attention than the pro-life march.

It was always my understanding the "Q" stood for "Questioning," like Andy Bernard in The Office this past week.

and less coverage than tbaggers disrupting town meetings with guns and "Watering the Tree of Freedom" signs.

BandAid
09-22-2009, 06:09 PM
and less coverage than tbaggers disrupting town meetings with guns and "Watering the Tree of Freedom" signs.

true (extra characters)