PDA

View Full Version : New Music? We got that. MPMF

sirthought
09-06-2009, 02:57 AM
First, sorry this is such a long post. Lots of info.

For those who don't know, I work with the MidPoint Music Festival.
September 24-26 mpmf.com It's a cheap way to see an incredible number of shows.

23 stages, 270 performances. Bands from 29 states and 7 countries. These people are coming to Cincinnati because they want to entertain you and this town has created a festival with a strong reputation after 8 years. In fact, two Xavier grads started it! :D

I've categorized as many of the festival bands as I could find in Myspace so people can listen to some music ahead and plan for who they might want to check out. I don't have all of them in there yet, but there are 176 and man I'm very impressed with the options.

MidPoint Bands on Myspace (http://friends.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewfriends&friendId=53335959&catID=-9223147319817545833) You do have to have a Myspace account to hear any of the music, but it's free.

MidPoint is definitely an indie rock festival. However there is a lot of variety around that term. Most people will find something they like if they do a bit of research ahead of time.

We've got stages that lean more acoustic and others that are all out heavy rock. There is a lot of roots/America type acts this year. And a lot of that indie-style anti-folk movement. One venue will be bluegrass. There's a handful of hip hop (we had a lot more last year). And a smattering of jazz (not really a jazz fest, ya know, but there is some there).

There's always punk-type stuff at MidPoint, but not enough really. I'd recommend CincyPunk.org Fest for that. He's a poster here too. :cool:

MidPoint is a hell of a good time! If you are not into going to see bands you've never heard before, I understand. This might not be for you. But then again, all famous bands were unknown at some point. These are emerging bands who've hit it somewhat in their local area and are trying to get bigger nationally or internationally.

The biggest acts will be at a huge tent in the parking lot at Grammer's. Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit (formerly with Drive By Truckers). Chairlift (one of those hip NYC bands that was in an iPod Nano commercial). And Cincinnati's own The Heartless Bastards, who have had an amazing year playing on David Letterman's show, Austin City Limits and touring all over the world.

If you are too broke to buy a ticket there are two FREE stages. One on Fountain Square and one at Coffee Emporium on Central Parkway (actually a cool venue). This is also perfect if you want to bring your kids out for some of the festival without going into bars.

If you have any questions about the bands, feel free to ask. I might not know, but I'll try to steer you towards something you'll dig. ;)

If you've never gone, grab a couple of friends and head down there. If you have a group of eight or more I can get you some discounted tix. Just PM me.

Cheers and I hope you hear something new you fall in love with. :D

sirthought
09-09-2009, 01:41 PM
More than 100 views and no comments?

I figured someone would have complemented, or more likely ripped, on something about this by now.

JimmyTwoTimes37
09-09-2009, 01:43 PM
Any blues? I dont have a myspace account.

Sounds pretty cool. I'm not really into the whole punk rock scene/bluegrass/hip hop scene, but it seems like it could be fun.

sirthought
09-09-2009, 01:58 PM
Any blues? I dont have a myspace account.

It's not the Cincy Blues Fest but we've got blues acts. Just off the top of my head:
46 Long
Jon Justice Blues Band
J. Dorsey Blue Revival
The Electric Souls
II Juicy
Buffalo Killers
Oxford Cotton (ex-members of the Green Horns)
Mavis Swan Poole
A very heavy-rock/blues act is The Highgears

I know there are some Black Crows fans on this board.
I'd recommend seeing a band called The Wildbirds. Same kind of roots and energy.

Kahns Krazy
09-09-2009, 02:05 PM
Cool event.

Not sure if you forgot to make the linky thing, but

http://mpmf.com

Kahns Krazy
09-09-2009, 02:43 PM
Are the 3 day passes transferrable? I am booked all day saturday but would for sure pull the trigger if I could hand the pass off to someone.

sirthought
09-09-2009, 04:07 PM
Are the 3 day passes transferable? I am booked all day saturday but would for sure pull the trigger if I could hand the pass off to someone.

I don't think they are. If I'm not mistaken they are wristbands. Not a perfect situation for everyone, but the easiest to manage people quickly going in and out of venues.

Kahns Krazy
09-09-2009, 05:38 PM
Er, so I'm going to wear a wristband at the office on friday?

vee4xu
09-09-2009, 07:05 PM
As I said in other threads, I am always up for hearing new bands and genres. This sounds like a fun and entertaining event that would introduce me to some new music. Unfortunately, there are things going on here in Columbus so I won't be able to make it. Though, I sure would like to hear a report from someone who did attend. Also, I am going to do some research on some of these bands.

sirthought
09-22-2009, 03:40 PM
MidPoint Music Festival starts tomorrow! Read about it in the Enquirer (http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090922/ENT03/909220348/MidPoint%20%20Band%20fans%20on%20run).

For music fans it's a must to experience. Bands from all of the world.
If you're not a big music fan, I still can't see you not having fun because there are just too many entertaining things happening at once.

If your kids are tweens or teens who are fans of the locally made MTV series "Taking the Stage" you might want to tell them about Mia Carruthers and Aaron Breadon from the show playing Saturday night. Be a cool parent and let them go.
Fountain Square, 8 pm, Free.
And the MTV cameras will be there, so you could potentially be seen in the show. Check out something she did on MTV. (http://www.mtv.com/videos/misc/367904/mash-up-performance-thats-not-my-name.jhtml#id=1608995)

Of course, MidPoint isn't a teen-bopper festival, but there is that. And they're good!

If you are on Facebook there is a ton of info being shot around on the MidPoint Music Festival fan page. Good place to find out about the stuff NOT being advertised.

I hope to see some X fans there. I've asked them to upgrade the beer offerings just for you guys!