PDA

View Full Version : Alright folks, let's here it...

Titanxman04
07-30-2009, 04:39 PM
Ok, so I've gone around asking folks at work, at Xavier, and amongst friends at home this question, and alas, I wanted to hear what Xavier Nation had to say.

If you could have a beer with any one person (MUST be currently alive), who would it be? The idea is who would you like to sit down with? Just you, them, and the bartender, shooting the breeze and sharing stories. Explain your answers as well.

I want to know your top 5. The idea is to not just list five gorgeous women and say "because they're hot" or "I'd like to get them drunk enough to bang my sorry ass" (Sorry Jeff) :D .

However, if a female must be named, let it be known that pictures are a must, otherwise negative reps will follow!!!

Let's hear it, folks.

Mine would be, in no particular order:
1. David Gilmour of Pink Floyd. My dad got me into the group when I was young and have been a fan ever since. The first song I learned on guitar was Wish You Were Here. I feel like he wouldn't be one of those musicians that would be completely into themselves and actually think of others first.

2. Lewis Black. He's hilarious, whether you agree with his political stance or not, he's probably my favorite comedian out there. While drinking may not improve his temper, I feel it'd be entertaining for me nonetheless.

3. Cal Ripken Jr. He's one of the true class acts of any sport. He's a horse. And he was one of the best of all time, let alone at his position. To hear his stories of life in the club house, a part of my favorite baseball team (sad, I know), and what he feels about the steriods scandals and the Pete Rose situation, amongst others, would be a real treat.
4. Darrell Green of the Washington Redskins. Here's one for my fellow 'Skins fans. He was another class act, the NFL's fastest man year in and year out, and one of the best cornerbacks in all of football as far as I am concerned. Recently inducted into the hall of fame, I would also like to hear his stories and be able to talk to him.

5. Joe Gibbs. Again, me being a Redskins fan affects this answer. He was one of the best coaches of all time, a class act as well, never cursed, and knew how to handle some of the best teams the NFL had seen. Winner of three superbowls, all with different quarterbacks (I'd like to see someone else accomplish that these days), Joe Gibbs is what a coach should always be. As an aspiring coach myself for lacrosse, I would figure I'd learn a lot from him.

I know there are no Xavier players on my list, and for many, that'd be a sin. Know that David West is a close 6th. But I didn't follow Xavier hoops all that much before the Run during Doellman's freshman year. And I've been following the above much longer than X basketball. Also, I have seen and talked to a lot of the guys while on campus, so it's not that big of a deal to me to be able to have a beer with them.

Anywho, your turn, Xavier Nation.

BBC 08
07-30-2009, 04:43 PM
Learn to spell you hippie. Its hear not here.

Mark 3 Pointer
07-30-2009, 04:57 PM
Neil Armstrong- First man on the moon. Enough said.

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad- Every conversation needs someone who's delusional.

Captain Sig Hansen- Captain of the crab fishing boat Northwesters of "Deadliest Catch" fame. 25-40 feet seas on a regular basis... hair raising stories for sure.

Christopher Walken- Creepiest and possibly funniest man on the planet.

Nancy Pelosi- I want to witness Christopher Walken hit on her.

bobbiemcgee
07-30-2009, 05:14 PM
Any D-Day survivor, WW II survivor. Don't know that I would ask anything, would just like to shake their hand and says "Thanks". Same with Vietnam, Korea and both Iraq's and Afghanistan.

PMI
07-30-2009, 05:34 PM
Ok, so I've gone around asking folks at work, at Xavier, and amongst friends at home this question, and alas, I wanted to hear what Xavier Nation had to say.

If you could have a beer with any one person (MUST be currently alive), who would it be? The idea is who would you like to sit down with? Just you, them, and the bartender, shooting the breeze and sharing stories. Explain your answers as well.

I want to know your top 5. The idea is to not just list five gorgeous women and say "because they're hot" or "I'd like to get them drunk enough to bang my sorry ass" (Sorry Jeff) :D .

However, if a female must be named, let it be known that pictures are a must, otherwise negative reps will follow!!!

Let's hear it, folks.

Mine would be, in no particular order:
1. David Gilmour of Pink Floyd. My dad got me into the group when I was young and have been a fan ever since. The first song I learned on guitar was Wish You Were Here. I feel like he wouldn't be one of those musicians that would be completely into themselves and actually think of others first.

2. Lewis Black. He's hilarious, whether you agree with his political stance or not, he's probably my favorite comedian out there. While drinking may not improve his temper, I feel it'd be entertaining for me nonetheless.

3. Cal Ripken Jr. He's one of the true class acts of any sport. He's a horse. And he was one of the best of all time, let alone at his position. To hear his stories of life in the club house, a part of my favorite baseball team (sad, I know), and what he feels about the steriods scandals and the Pete Rose situation, amongst others, would be a real treat.
4. Darrell Green of the Washington Redskins. Here's one for my fellow 'Skins fans. He was another class act, the NFL's fastest man year in and year out, and one of the best cornerbacks in all of football as far as I am concerned. Recently inducted into the hall of fame, I would also like to hear his stories and be able to talk to him.

5. Joe Gibbs. Again, me being a Redskins fan affects this answer. He was one of the best coaches of all time, a class act as well, never cursed, and knew how to handle some of the best teams the NFL had seen. Winner of three superbowls, all with different quarterbacks (I'd like to see someone else accomplish that these days), Joe Gibbs is what a coach should always be. As an aspiring coach myself for lacrosse, I would figure I'd learn a lot from him.

I know there are no Xavier players on my list, and for many, that'd be a sin. Know that David West is a close 6th. But I didn't follow Xavier hoops all that much before the Run during Doellman's freshman year. And I've been following the above much longer than X basketball. Also, I have seen and talked to a lot of the guys while on campus, so it's not that big of a deal to me to be able to have a beer with them.

Anywho, your turn, Xavier Nation.

I like your list. I've had the privilege of meeting 3-5 and they are all class acts and great champions as you mentioned. Muhammad Ali is probably the one time I actually felt truly star-struck. Of course, I never had a beer with any of them.

Stonebreaker
07-30-2009, 05:59 PM
Lou Holtz...He's not just a great coach, but an outstanding motivator
Charlie Weis..Love to hear from the current coach of ND, and some inside info
Newt Gingrich..politics aside, he's a very smart guy, taught college history, wrote some civil war books, and has some pretty bold ideas about education, energy, taxation, etc. The left doesn't like him, but people should at least hear what he has to say. I'm not a fan of Obama, but that doesn't mean that opposing party leaders such as he are bad people, or come from a bad place. Nothing wrong with having different visions.
Saddam.. (oops, too late) Just to see what the hell he was thinking.....twice!
41.. (ran CIA and former prez) The guy knows international politics better than any other president since Eisenhower.
Eddie Vedder..Love to hear from the PJ frontman about the band, songs, and especially the early days. As soon as he gets political, lunch is over! I went to a concert and had to hear about Bush and Foxnews. Dude....shutup and play the music.

I could care less about Hollywood celebs and what they think.

PMI
07-30-2009, 06:45 PM
You couldn't pay me to have lunch with Lou Holtz or Charlie Weiss. Holtz because I couldn't stand to hear/see everything going on inside/out of his mouth while I'm eating and Weiss because I wouldn't get any food.

Stonebreaker
07-30-2009, 06:46 PM
I'm sure Lee Corso would love to have 'lunch' with you.

Kapow!

PM Thor
07-30-2009, 11:41 PM
Margaret Thatcher. The Iron Lady has seen a ton, and I would love to hear what she says about Northern Ireland, the Fauklands, the Cold War on and on.

Stephen Hawking. Brilliance, I know I couldn't keep up, but it would be great.

Mohammed Ali. I tried not to say a sports figure, but I think he transcends sports.

The Dali Llama. Gunga gulunga...guga gulungaa...

Xi Jinping. I know, not a popular name, but he's vice president of China, and considering that China is growing exponentially, and their future is most likely based outside of communism, I would love to hear his thoughts.

I HATE dayton.

BBC 08
07-31-2009, 12:31 AM
Due to the concert I just saw I am answering this question with current era musicians:

Jack White
Jim James
Gregg Gillis
Julian Casablancas
Alex Turner*

*had trouble coming up with a 5th so that is the best I can do right now.

XU-PA
07-31-2009, 05:41 AM
Captain Sig Hansen- Captain of the crab fishing boat Northwesters of "Deadliest Catch" fame. 25-40 feet seas on a regular basis... hair raising stories for sure.

Sorry Mark, no way. If you're going to visit with any captain, It HAS to be Phil.
A hundred laughs fighting through the cigarette haze and translating mumble to english.

"Crab Farts" says it all!

ballyhoohoo
07-31-2009, 05:49 AM
Joe Pa
John Wooden
Paul McCartney
Slash
John Daly

Lamont Sanford
07-31-2009, 06:30 AM
Keeping it sports-related...

1. Bob Knight
2. Marty Wolf
3. Skip Prosser
4. John McEnroe
5. Wilt Chamberlain

Jumpy
07-31-2009, 07:10 AM
Sorry Mark, no way. If you're going to visit with any captain, It HAS to be Phil.
A hundred laughs fighting through the cigarette haze and translating mumble to english.

"Crab Farts" says it all!

My thoughts exactly. I would hang out with Phil or the Hilstrand brothers long before Sig. Those Hilstrand boys look like some hard core partiers.

XUOWNSUC
07-31-2009, 07:58 AM
My thoughts exactly. I would hang out with Phil or the Hilstrand brothers long before Sig. Those Hilstrand boys look like some hard core partiers.

Yep I agree - Phil all the way!

Titanxman04
07-31-2009, 08:37 AM
Keeping it sports-related...

1. Bob Knight
2. Marty Wolf
3. Skip Prosser
4. John McEnroe
5. Wilt Chamberlain

Sorry friend. While Skip would make it onto a lot of our lists, the person has to currently be alive. And, as we all know, sadly, thats not true for our beloved former coach.

As for crab boat captains, if you aren't drinking with a Hillstrand (sp?), you aren't drinking period.

Jumpy
07-31-2009, 09:03 AM
Yep I agree - Phil all the way!

Phil is the kind of guy that could scare the shit out of you with the stories that he could tell about being on the boats, making you feel like you were right there with him.

bleedXblue
07-31-2009, 09:03 AM
Marisa Miller

Not much talking would be going on, but who cares

http://www.askmen.com/specials/2009_top_99/marisa-miller-3.html

waggy
08-02-2009, 08:16 PM
Marisa Miller

Not much talking would be going on, but who cares

http://www.askmen.com/specials/2009_top_99/marisa-miller-3.html

Good call. In my case she would need to have more than a beer.

golfitup
08-02-2009, 09:01 PM
Shania Twain
Christina Hendricks
Penelope Cruz (shameful that i forgot her in my original post)

I don't know, that seems about enough. Maybe one day ill be more mature and have world luminaries at my table. Whaddya want? I'm 24.

Kahns Krazy
08-03-2009, 12:42 PM
Hugh Heffner
Bob Guccione
Larry Flynt
Joseph R. Francis
Tipper Gore

Emp
08-03-2009, 01:54 PM
I would have settled for the three guys at the white house on Friday.
Sadly, I don't talk about race in America much since I moved from Cincinnati.

But for some really interesting lubricated conversation.......

John McPhee
Snipe
Michael Moore
Barry Gordy
Gary Wills

Alternates: Mitch Albom, Bill Russell, Robin Williams

My Dead Drinkers Society Five (post WW II) would be Mailer, Breslin, Hunter Thompson, Al McGuire, and Richard Burton