PDA

View Full Version : Church Festivals and Our Former Head Coach

coasterville95
07-27-2009, 10:19 AM
The forum description for Out on the Mall says to have a beer and a brat, so that fits right in with church festivals.

Two things I noticed recently:

At St. Ceclilias (Oakley) - as of mid day Sunday - a Sean Miller autographed basketball was sitting there with no bids on it. Maybe I should have thrown a few bucks at it, but not right now. Too Soon! Although my parish, St. Cecilias lost points with me for having the UC Bearcat walking around the festival grounds Saturday night.

At Holy Trinity (Norwood) - their Bid and Buy once again had the Xavier Coaches montage from the sports memorabillia house that consigns with them. Its the one with a picture of the Cintas Center up top over three coachs pictures. This is the festival I got one with Gillen, Prosser, and Miller (autographed by Miller) last year. This years montage was Gillen, Prosser, and Mack. Note the glaring omission of the coach who until April was "Our hero". As of late Saturday night, this one had no bids on it either.

Closely follwed by the Cincinnati Steak Fry in which when Sean Miller was mentioned, the crowd let out a collective "Who's That?" Despite several board posters encouraging us to "Get over it, move along", despite the official school posture of "We're over it, we've moved along, embrace your new head coaach" it seems pretty obvious the fanbase itself has not "Gotten over it, and moved along" Then again, maybe they have, I mean why would you want an autogrpahed ball by somebody not even on the team? I mean how much would an autographed Xavier basketball signed by me fetch?

Juice
07-27-2009, 10:32 AM
My dad has noticed the same things at golf outings, the GA festival, and other similar events. The picture montage things he has seen with Miller have not been doing well at all.

I would also like to add to the disgust about the Bearcat because my school, Guardian Angels, not only had the Bearcat there but some of the UC cheerleaders (guys and chicks) were there and some were working the beer booth and gambling tent.

Kahns Krazy
07-27-2009, 11:05 AM
The UC dance/cheerleader teams are far more visable in the community. We're getting shown up at church festivals. That's shameful.

Billy
07-27-2009, 01:20 PM
I mean how much would an autographed Xavier basketball signed by me fetch?

If you pay me $5, I'll take it off your hands.

gladdenguy
07-27-2009, 03:52 PM
Speaking of festivals, I attended the Our Lady of Lourdes festival (yes Xeus, on the westside with all the _________(insert joke here) and purchased the XU frame with the Cintas Center picture on top and the Three pictures of coaches on bottom.
On the left, none other than Peter Gillen, on the right none other than Skip Prosser, and in the center, for the first time in my viewing pleasure, was the Mack Attack.

Lets just say I immediately swiped the credit card and took it to the car. I even set my beer down and waited til I came back.

Xman95
07-27-2009, 04:08 PM
The UC dance/cheerleader teams are far more visable in the community. We're getting shown up at church festivals. That's shameful.

Not true...you just need to know where to look. Our girls aren't working in the beer truck, they're in line at the beer truck.

drudy23
07-27-2009, 04:09 PM
The Beer Garden at OLL is the place to be.

Xman95
07-27-2009, 04:10 PM
If you pay me $5, I'll take it off your hands.

What a deal! Seriously...it's $5 less than you would have to pay him to take the Sean Miller basketball.

Kahns Krazy
07-27-2009, 04:45 PM
Not true...you just need to know where to look. Our girls aren't working in the beer truck, they're in line at the funnel cake stand.

Fixed that for moo. I mean you.

coasterville95
07-27-2009, 08:21 PM
I haven't found a good funnel cake at a church festival yet this year. Either everybody got bad dough, or forgot how to make them.

vee4xu
07-27-2009, 08:51 PM
Our Lady of Mount Carmel - Niles, OH

This is an Italian parish. it just finished it's 76th year last weekend and is still going strong. In years past there was plenty of gambling, live Italian music, games of chance to win an two, or three foot high Infant of Prague statue and a procession with a 30 foot long rosary on the feast of Our Lady of Mount Carmel. It was very much like a scene from The Godfather. Then and still today the best, I mean the best Italian food I've ever tasted at any fair. It is rivaled only by my grandmother's, mother's and wife's Italian food. For example: Hot sausage and pepper sandwich, cheese puff (deep fried dough with cheese inside of it, Briar Hill style pizza with sauce, grated cheese and green peppers, potato pizza, spinach pizza, pizza frite (plain fried dough) and more. All of this was made years ago by the old women of the parish and it has been passed down to future generations. The festival goes for 5 full days and usually nets the parish somewhere around $50,000. Oh yeah, there are rides too.

It is awesome!!

blobfan
07-28-2009, 11:07 AM

This is an Italian parish. it just finished it's 76th year last weekend and is still going strong. In years past there was plenty of gambling, live Italian music, games of chance to win an two, or three foot high Infant of Prague statue and a procession with a 30 foot long rosary on the feast of Our Lady of Mount Carmel. It was very much like a scene from The Godfather. Then and still today the best, I mean the best Italian food I've ever tasted at any fair. It is rivaled only by my grandmother's, mother's and wife's Italian food. For example: Hot sausage and pepper sandwich, cheese puff (deep fried dough with cheese inside of it, Briar Hill style pizza with sauce, grated cheese and green peppers, potato pizza, spinach pizza, pizza frite (plain fried dough) and more. All of this was made years ago by the old women of the parish and it has been passed down to future generations. The festival goes for 5 full days and usually nets the parish somewhere around $50,000. Oh yeah, there are rides too.

It is awesome!!

Doesn't it get stale after a while? I'd think pizza wouldn't have a shelf-life past a year even if frozen.

Muskie
07-28-2009, 11:43 AM
The forum description for Out on the Mall says to have a beer and a brat, so that fits right in with church festivals.

Two things I noticed recently:

At St. Ceclilias (Oakley) - as of mid day Sunday - a Sean Miller autographed basketball was sitting there with no bids on it. Maybe I should have thrown a few bucks at it, but not right now. Too Soon! Although my parish, St. Cecilias lost points with me for having the UC Bearcat walking around the festival grounds Saturday night.

At Holy Trinity (Norwood) - their Bid and Buy once again had the Xavier Coaches montage from the sports memorabillia house that consigns with them. Its the one with a picture of the Cintas Center up top over three coachs pictures. This is the festival I got one with Gillen, Prosser, and Miller (autographed by Miller) last year. This years montage was Gillen, Prosser, and Mack. Note the glaring omission of the coach who until April was "Our hero". As of late Saturday night, this one had no bids on it either.

Closely follwed by the Cincinnati Steak Fry in which when Sean Miller was mentioned, the crowd let out a collective "Who's That?" Despite several board posters encouraging us to "Get over it, move along", despite the official school posture of "We're over it, we've moved along, embrace your new head coaach" it seems pretty obvious the fanbase itself has not "Gotten over it, and moved along" Then again, maybe they have, I mean why would you want an autogrpahed ball by somebody not even on the team? I mean how much would an autographed Xavier basketball signed by me fetch?

Good report Coaster. What's the name of shop that does these frame-ups?

Cheesehead
07-28-2009, 11:43 AM

It is awesome!!

Sounds very nice. However, the festival that I Chaired for 6 years (St. Michael in Sharonville) netted $106,000 this year in just 3 days, so 50 grand is not really a lot of money for 5 days. You guys need to look at your expenses.

Kahns Krazy
07-28-2009, 11:45 AM
Sounds very nice. However, the festival that I Chaired for 6 years (St. Michael in Sharonville) netted $106,000 this year in just 3 days, so 50 grand is not really a lot of money for 5 days. You guys need to look at your expenses.

Aw snap! We might have to move this to the smack forum. But seriously, I don't think you can compare Sharonville and Niles, Ohio evenly.

Cheesehead
07-28-2009, 11:49 AM
Aw snap! We might have to move this to the smack forum.

I was just putting things into perspective. I have some experience w/ festivals. I have no idea the size or demographics of that parish but $50,000 is low for a 5 day festival. We did $117,00 2 years ago (all-time record) and $77,000 last year (horrible weather).

vee4xu
07-28-2009, 06:26 PM

What I didn't say was how much the Mafia contributed from all of the gambling. That was kept on another set of books. But, I have every confidence that when added to the 50K, it dwarfs $106K. ;)

Fred Garvin
08-03-2009, 03:05 PM
Sunday's Enquirer had a rundown of Cincy parishes and what their festivals net.