PDA

View Full Version : Best Recent Concert

Runningman
06-15-2009, 03:03 PM
Curious to see if you guys have seen any great shows recently. Lets try to keep this relevant, how about in the past year or so. Not sure how interested anyone is about hearing the road trip you and the dudes from your college dorm took to see The Dead back in '76. Also, feel free if there are any shows coming up you are excited for (Buffett excluded).

I just saw Passion Pit down at Mad Hatter on Saturday. God they are talented. Great seeing them but the show was much too short.

Ted Leo and the Pharmacists are playing down at The Southgate House tonight (June 15h). If anyone is free tonight and looking for a great live show I highly recommend Teddy and Co.

Deerhunter with Dan Deacon are there Aug 4th, that will be a cool show.

Then, I am heavily anticpating the trip to Chicago for Lollapalooza. With 130 bands it is impossible not to fill 3 days worth of music you enjoy.

boozehound
06-15-2009, 03:18 PM
Billy Joel and Elton John at US Bank arena.

D-West & PO-Z
06-15-2009, 03:20 PM
Zac Brown Band in St Louis about a month ago and Jack Johnson in Indy last summer.

sirthought
06-15-2009, 03:47 PM
Jonas.... er..... I mean

St. Vincent this past Tuesday night at SGH. Wonderful surprise was the opener Pattern is Movement.

About a week for that was Southern Culture on the Skids. One of the best live bands EVER.

thefortyniner
06-15-2009, 04:54 PM
311 in Charlotte on July 3 and Raleigh on July 5... will make shows number 4 and 5 for me.

If you're into bands that bring the energy live, 311 is as good as it gets. They'll be in Cincinnati on Saturday.

danaandvictory
06-15-2009, 06:42 PM
Wilco at the Aronoff on Friday was the best show I've seen in several years.

xubball93
06-15-2009, 06:43 PM
The Eagles were pretty damn good back in November.

picknroll
06-15-2009, 06:55 PM
Gotta love that longtime local Cincy group, The Menus. Especially Steve Chiodi on lead guitar. Great entertainment.

Masterofreality
06-15-2009, 10:18 PM
AC/DC, Cleveland last January.

Boro Muskie
06-16-2009, 08:46 AM
Coming up June 24 at PNC. Double bill with Offspring and Dropkick Murphy's.

boozehound
06-16-2009, 10:13 AM
Coming up June 24 at PNC. Double bill with Offspring and Dropkick Murphy's.

Dropkick would be great to see live. I am actually kind of thinking about picking up tickets to that, but I have a lot going on in the next few weeks. Have fun.

Boro Muskie
06-16-2009, 12:09 PM
I am really looking forward to them. Looks like they are actually opening for Offspring, little bass ackwards, but at least they are here. Let me know if you decide to go...

Mrs. Garrett
06-16-2009, 12:12 PM
Billy Joel and Elton John at US Bank arena.

The wife and I are going when they play Wrigley Field in July.

Cheesehead
06-16-2009, 08:13 PM
Curious to see if you guys have seen any great shows recently. Lets try to keep this relevant, how about in the past year or so. Not sure how interested anyone is about hearing the road trip you and the dudes from your college dorm took to see The Dead back in '76. Also, feel free if there are any shows coming up you are excited for (Buffett excluded).

I just saw Passion Pit down at Mad Hatter on Saturday. God they are talented. Great seeing them but the show was much too short.

Ted Leo and the Pharmacists are playing down at The Southgate House tonight (June 15h). If anyone is free tonight and looking for a great live show I highly recommend Teddy and Co.

Deerhunter with Dan Deacon are there Aug 4th, that will be a cool show.

Then, I am heavily anticpating the trip to Chicago for Lollapalooza. With 130 bands it is impossible not to fill 3 days worth of music you enjoy.

Ok, I thought I was sorta up w/ music but I never heard of ANY of these bands. I feel very old right now.

Cheesehead
06-16-2009, 08:16 PM
Def Leppard at Nutter Center - They sucked actually (wife loves them) but Billy Idol was quite good.

Rusty Griswolds at St. Michael Festival last Saturday night. Place was f-ing packed and made the Channel 9 11:30 news. This was my the 6th and last year as Chair of the festival.

BBC 08
06-16-2009, 09:29 PM
My Morning Jacket, Waterfront Park, Louisville, last August

An X Fan
06-16-2009, 09:45 PM
Rusty Griswolds at St. Michael Festival last Saturday night. Place was f-ing packed and made the Channel 9 11:30 news. This was my the 6th and last year as Chair of the festival.

Congrats Cheesehead. St. Mike's was definitely packed and rocking with the Rusty Griswolds.

It's been so long since I've been to a concert that I kind of forget what it's like. I saw Ben Folds, Guster, and Rufus Wainwright at Fraze Pavilion, and they were all okay. Wished I had seen Kings of Leon when they were here.

sirthought
06-17-2009, 12:39 AM
Ted Leo is one of my favorites, but I friggin' missed it!

I actually watched a Dan Deacon concert online and it was crazy. Definitely one for dancing with the ladies. I'm sorta surprised that he is with Deerhunter. They are so the angst and art rock group.

I'm looking forward to this weekend's Afghan Whigs tribute show. It's a fundraiser with some awesome bands playing tunes I rarely listen to these days.

But this summer the Southgate House has some incredible concerts booked:
Marah Jul 2
Jason Lytle Jul 7
Amy Rigby Jul 8
THE BOMB Jul 11
Colin Haye (Men at Work fame) Jul 15
Indigenous Jul 19
Yourself and the Air Jul 28 - This band is also playing at MidPoint in Sept.
Son Volt Aug 7
and the wonderful Iris DeMent on Aug 13

We're lucky to have such a great local venue bringing in such brilliant music.

And for those of you looking ahead to September... MidPoint is gonna be awesome!

Tardy Turtle
06-17-2009, 07:20 AM
The wife and I are going when they play Wrigley Field in July.

The March show here was wicked awesome, so I think you and Mrs. Mrs. G will enjoy it.

Mrs. Garrett
06-17-2009, 09:02 AM
The March show here was wicked awesome, so I think you and Mrs. Mrs. G will enjoy it.

It will be nice to see something at Wrigley Field other than a crappy baseball team.

thefortyniner
06-21-2009, 11:55 PM
Well, 311 did something they have never done in their 19 years of touring in their Cincinnati show. With the new album just having come out, they had been trying to play as much new stuff as possibly while still making room for classics and the occasional rarity. So during the encore, they smushed the best parts of Do You Right, Don't Stay Home, and Hive into a Rushesque medley.

I hate you all. And yes, I hate you because I'm jealous.

Kahns Krazy
06-22-2009, 07:35 AM
Saw Phish at Deer Creek on Friday. The show was evacuated due to weather at around 10:15. They sent everyone out to their cars and started back up at 11:00 and played till 12:30. The second half rocked. I did not enjoy trying to get out of that place though.