PDA

View Full Version : Shane Larkin - PG

ballyhoohoo
06-15-2009, 07:29 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Position: Point Guard
High School: Dr. Phillips, Orlando, FL
Class: 2011 (High School)

5'11 150

Interest:
Marquette, Miami, Texas A&M, UCF

Muskie91
06-15-2009, 07:53 AM
Also son of Barry Larkin

2008-09 Statistics (Sophomore)
13.0 ppg 6.0 apg 3.4 rpg 3.1 spg 40% from three

Started on JV as a freshman.....was the JV most valuable player despite missing the early part of the season due to injury.....one of the best perimeter shooters on the team.......very skilled in the open court.....a very good passer in transition as well as in the half court......very quick with great food speed.......started all summer long on the varsity team......one of the best young players in the Panther program.....was promoted to the varsity at the conclusion of the JV season last year as a freshman and played and scored in several games.....will continue the Panther tradition of great guards to come through the program - Chuck Ford (college to be determined), Chris Warren (Ole Miss), Ray Willis (Oklahoma), Trey Hopkins (Western Carolina), and Mario Sisinni (Coastal Carolina)........his father Barry Larkin was a 12 time Major League Baseball All-Star shortstop with the Cincinnati Reds.

Coach Long's comments on Shane Larkin......"Shane has the potential to be one of the best guards ever to play at Dr. Phillips and that's a pretty big statement. His skill set is beyond his age. Had it not been for an injury that kept him out of action until January, Shane would have played on the varsity last year as a freshman which is a testament to his abilities. I believe Shane will be the next high level guard to come through DP. He will be a big contributor on the varsity this season and I eagerly await the chance to coach him the next three years."

wkrq59
06-15-2009, 02:09 PM
Wonder what the injury was?????:D

Muskie
06-15-2009, 02:10 PM
The only bad thing about this is that fans would have sky high expectations...

SM#24
06-15-2009, 02:22 PM

Not at all. He's not Byron's son thus, I would never expect him equal Byron's accomplishments.

I would only expect him to be as good a basketball player as Barry was a baseball player. I don't think that's asking too much.

Muskie91
06-15-2009, 03:17 PM
Not at all. He's not Byron's son thus, I would never expect him equal Byron's accomplishments.

I would only expect him to be as good a basketball player as Barry was a baseball player. I don't think that's asking too much.

Hall of Famer?

ballyhoohoo
06-15-2009, 03:22 PM

I think those expectations are resonable

GoMuskies
06-15-2009, 09:54 PM

As long as he becomes Xavier's new all-time leading scorer, I don't think anyone would be disappointed.

Xman95
06-15-2009, 10:24 PM
As long as he becomes Xavier's new all-time leading scorer, I don't think anyone would be disappointed.

Well, as long as he sets the assists record too. Otherwise he's just one-trick pony.

Xpectations
06-16-2009, 07:24 AM

The only question is how high Redford sets the mark when Shane arrives.

SixFig
06-16-2009, 10:24 AM
Pssst. I won't be disappointed if he becomes the all-time leading scorer, leads us to the national title, wins the college world series, and is drafted number one overall in both sports.

Pretty doable.

XURunner85
07-18-2009, 11:03 AM
talked to Byron at the syeak fry and he said his nephew was a bit bummed that X had gotten commitment from Dee, he wanted to come to X. Byron also mentioned Mick Cronin called Byron asking about his nephew and if they would have a shot at him....the answer Byron gave him.....No chance, because it is UC.....I told Byron that his nephew needs to stay away from UC and UD...Byron agreed, also threw in WV and Bob Huggins....Byron is a great American and Xavier Musketeer!!!

xu15
07-18-2009, 12:04 PM
talked to Byron at the syeak fry and he said his nephew was a bit bummed that X had gotten commitment from Dee, he wanted to come to X. Byron also mentioned Mick Cronin called Byron asking about his nephew and if they would have a shot at him....the answer Byron gave him.....No chance, because it is UC.....I told Byron that his nephew needs to stay away from UC and UD...Byron agreed, also threw in WV and Bob Huggins....Byron is a great American and Xavier Musketeer!!!

This makes me very happy.

bobbiemcgee
08-19-2009, 10:04 AM
Nice piece on this kid:
Said baseball is boring, but I can forgive him for that:

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/vUiLIH_GEd6OEwAcxJTdpg/shane-larkin-pursuing-own-path-on-hardwood.htm

Mark 3 Pointer
08-19-2009, 10:53 AM
I actually asked Byron about this several weeks ago... he said with D. Davis's commitment it's a safe bet we will not see Shane in a Xavier uniform.

Edit: Sorry Xrunner I didn't read your post... he said the same thing to me a the steak fry.

dc_x
10-20-2010, 08:11 AM
Committed to Oliver Purnell and Depaul per Scout.

GoMuskies
10-20-2010, 08:56 AM

Poor kid. At least he'll get a good education.

muskiefan82
10-20-2010, 02:45 PM

Ouch. Hope he at least beats UC every year.

smileyy
10-20-2010, 03:00 PM
That's a pretty high-profile commit for DePaul.

The list of schools he considered seems fairly pedestrian for a guy who Rivals rates as #62 in his class:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Shane-Larkin-98676

Benxman
10-20-2010, 08:02 PM
http://gary-parrish.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6271764/25365302

Actually, Parnell is a good coach. The only blemish on his record is that he coached at UDump, and he did well there. It doesn't surprise me a bit to see him pick up a recruit like Larkin. Parnell did well at Old Dominion, UDump, and Clemson. He will have DePaul on the rise pretty quickly.

GO MUSKIES!

:logo:

AdamtheFlyer
10-20-2010, 08:48 PM
Yeah, Purnell is as good of a "builder" as you will find. He will never be a destination guy, but he gets you from point A to point B in pretty short order. In 3 years the Big East may actually be able to have the "Are you telling me (Insert any mediocre BE team here) wouldn't win the A10?" attitude. Purnell will do well at DePaul, and Lavin will have St Johns back in the dance. The recruits Lavin is already bringing in are top notch.

GoMuskies
10-20-2010, 09:49 PM
In 3 years the Big East may actually be able to have the "Are you telling me (Insert any mediocre BE team here) wouldn't win the A10?" attitude.

Maybe if Xavier leaves the conference.

THRILLHOUSE
08-04-2011, 02:54 PM
Shane Larkin has decommited from DePaul. Snow and Goodman think he will end up at Miami (FL)

PMI
08-04-2011, 03:12 PM
Shane Larkin has decommited from DePaul. Snow and Goodman think he will end up at Miami (FL)

Good for him. I can't root against a Larkin and it would've been a shame if he ended up playing for "Chicago's Big East Team."

Mrs. Garrett
08-04-2011, 03:53 PM
Good for him. I can't root against a Larkin and it would've been a shame if he ended up playing for "Chicago's Big East Team."

He left because of an undisclosed medical condition that forces him to be closer to home. So not really good for him.http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/os-hs-shane-larkin-leaves-depaul-20110804,0,7418311.story

Earlier this summer he was said to really be enjoying Depaul and Chicago.http://www.suntimes.com/sports/6073355-419/barry-larkins-son-stoked-to-be-a-demon.html

DC Muskie
08-04-2011, 06:17 PM
Jesus I hope he is okay.

Mrs. Garrett
08-18-2011, 08:57 AM
Looks like Shane Larkin picked the wrong week to head to Miami.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2011-08-16/sports/os-hs-shane-larkin-to-attend-miami-20110816_1_shane-larkin-barry-larkin-coach-larranaga

This is something I heard from someone pretty close to the DePaul program. I've played hoops down at the Ray Meyer Center on a regular basis for a while now.

Per sources, two things may have pushed Larkin out (outside of the illness). The first is that he didn't fit in. Many around DePaul found him as a "pretty boy" and somewhat of a snob. He didn't hang out with the team at all, and was pretty distant. Someone that works at a building around DePaul told me "he never was with the other guys. They all seem to hang together, always joking around, but not him." The second reason was talent. Yes, Larkin is a VERY talented point guard, however Brandon Young is even more talented. Per reports, Brandon was killing him in scrimmages and practices, and would let Shane know. Shane is too small and can only play two positions, however point is taken, and the 2-guard is said to be McKinney's to lose. So Larkin would have to come off the bench, which is a knock considering he was telling many he was the "player that would turn DePaul around".

He just committed to Miami, where he has ties to the coaching staff. However, by plane DePaul is as close as Miami is from Orlando by car. If Larkin was going to head to UCF, that would have made sense, but this move somewhat shows that he just wanted out. Will he sit out next season? If not, I would really be curious the reason why he would be allowed to play.

Another issue is DePaul has signed another point guard for 2013 class. Billy Garrett Jr. is currently in the top 50 and rising and also the son of one of DePaul's assistant coaches.

Last, DePaul didn't fight it because they didn't want the negative press involved because he is the son of a man who works for ESPN. It was a lose - lose especially when there already is a negative vibe around a program that has only won 2 conference games in 3 years.

Like I said - This is just one person's insight, but they are pretty close to the program and have given me some other tips that turned out to be solid.

GoMuskies
08-18-2011, 09:00 AM
I hear FAU and FIU are lovely.

joe titan
08-18-2011, 09:19 AM
If I recall, Steven Larkin, the youngest brother in Byron's family, had some cardio-related issues which interfered w/his athletic career. Hope Shane's problems are subject to quick resolution. Would not be shocked if Archie Miller was on his trail.

bobbiemcgee
08-18-2011, 09:58 AM
If I recall, Steven Larkin, the youngest brother in Byron's family, had some cardio-related issues which interfered w/his athletic career. Hope Shane's problems are subject to quick resolution. Would not be shocked if Archie Miller was on his trail.

Since he lives in Orlando, don't see this as being "closer to home" than Chicago.