PDA

View Full Version : Noel Johnson?

A10fan
06-04-2009, 09:43 AM
How huge of a pickup would that be? I guess Kelsey is making last ditch efforts to bring him on. This kid could help immediately.

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=53707&Sport=2

Cmon Pat, close the deal!

DAllen15
06-04-2009, 09:58 AM
Talent is talent, but I'd be happier if our coaching staff could score some PF help this summer, which looks unlikely.

A10fan
06-04-2009, 10:01 AM
you gotta be kiddin, our biggest gap is SF. X has no one over 6'5" that can shoot outside of 5 ft. with any consistency. This kid would get immediate PT if he is as good as advertised.

gladdenguy
06-04-2009, 10:14 AM
Do we have any more information on this kid? Startin to get me excited.

DAllen15
06-04-2009, 10:18 AM
I think most of us see DJ as the starter at SF, and I think Crawford could even spend some time there. If Mack's willing to tinker with a 4-guard offense, he could certainly go with a 3-guard offense.

If McLean is unavailable for any reason, we are screwed at PF. Absolutely screwed.

AviatorX
06-04-2009, 10:34 AM
Without a doubt, Johnson would be a huge pickup. However, I'd be surprised if we landed him. Have faith in Kelsey, but it might be next to impossible to lure him this away from UNLV etc.

Xman95
06-04-2009, 12:23 PM
This would be a great get for the new staff. Here's video from YouTube:

Noel Johnson video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv-tlBnwY80)

Obviously he has size at 6'7" and that's something we need. But he can shoot it - it looks effortless too - and his all-around game seems very, very good. Apparently he can even handle the rock, something that's not true of all guys with his height. (Yes, I realize you can't take too much from a highlight video, but watch it and you'll see what I'm getting at, especially the shooting part.)

I would love to see this kid suiting up for X next season.

FYI - Godfather of Noel Johnson: XAVIER MCDANIEL (really, could it be a better fit?!?)

kyxu
06-04-2009, 01:07 PM
Without a doubt, Johnson would be a huge pickup. However, I'd be surprised if we landed him. Have faith in Kelsey, but it might be next to impossible to lure him this away from UNLV etc.

I'd say Johnson is a long shot, but no reason to give up on him. The fact that the staff is involved with someone like this is a good sign.

XU05and07
06-04-2009, 01:15 PM
Any reason given about his backing out of his signing with USC?

AviatorX
06-04-2009, 01:23 PM

Tim Floyd is out or at least on the way out at USC amid the Mayo fiasco and everything else, correct?

Xman95
06-04-2009, 03:18 PM

I would guess - and this is only a guess - that it's because USC is a sinking ship that will probably have quite a few sanctions heading its way in the near future. That program seems to be about as dirty as they come right now.

xuphan
06-04-2009, 05:45 PM
I got this from the rivals UNLV message board.

June 4, 2009
Johnson on visit trail

Jerry Meyer
Rivals.com Basketball Recruiting Analyst

Former USC signee Noel Johnson spent some time on the Charlotte campus earlier this week, and now the 6-foot-7, 180-pound wing from Fayetteville (Ga.) High School is headed west for an official visit.

UNLV is the destination, and although Johnson isn't naming any leaders, there is a sense that the Rebels are in a strong position to land Johnson. Lon Krueger's experience in the NBA is a strong draw. Johnson's dad Cheese Johnson also values a fast style of play for his son.

"We need some speed in the system," said the elder Johnson. "Academics and a fast style of play are really important."

If a decision isn't reached right after the UNLV visit, LSU and Xavier are candidates for official visits, and unofficial visits could be taken to nearby Georgia and Georgia Tech.

Noel had these thoughts on what he is looking for during this second go around.

"I want a situation similar to USC where they are building a tradition in basketball but are also a good academic school," said the younger Johnson. "I also want to play the two guard and maybe some point and the three as well. I want to be versatile."

As for a timetable for his decision, Johnson had this comment.

"I'm going to take my time, maybe in three weeks," he said.

kyxu
06-04-2009, 07:02 PM
"said the elder Johnson. "Academics and a fast style of play are really important."

Yes. And UNLV is a veritable MIT.

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-04-2009, 07:11 PM
Yes. And UNLV is a veritable MIT.

I've heard Charlotte is in the lead for him.

Unconfirmed rumor naturally.

Of course looking at it from positive point of view, he didn't commit before leaving.

This would be a huge first recruit for the Mack era

AviatorX
06-04-2009, 07:34 PM
I've heard Charlotte is in the lead for him.

Unconfirmed rumor naturally.

Of course looking at it from positive point of view, he didn't commit before leaving.

This would be a huge first recruit for the Mack era

If he leaves UNLV without committing, then we can start to get hopeful/excited, IMO.

Frambo
06-04-2009, 07:54 PM
We need to hear something soon!!! Johnson, O'Brien, Latham, Weatherspoon.....somebody step up and commit!

gladdenguy
06-04-2009, 08:30 PM
We need to hear something soon!!! Johnson, O'Brien, Latham, Weatherspoon.....somebody step up and commit!

I'm not kidding, I think we should have an adult beverage Xavier Hoops gathering once Mack signs the first of many "sweet" recruits. I have so much anticipation.
I second your request Frambo!!!

Frambo
06-04-2009, 08:51 PM
I'm not kidding, I think we should have an adult beverage Xavier Hoops gathering once Mack signs the first of many "sweet" recruits. I have so much anticipation.
I second your request Frambo!!!

I'm planning on having a few at the Badin Steak Fry...hopefully toasting a lot of good news!

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-04-2009, 08:53 PM
If he leaves UNLV without committing, then we can start to get hopeful/excited, IMO.

Good point. I definitely agree. You never know what kind of red carpet they will roll out for this kid in Vegas haha.

xu15
06-05-2009, 10:38 AM
Good point. I definitely agree. You never know what kind of red carpet they will roll out for this kid in Vegas haha.

We need to get one of these guys we're after, and soon. The suspense is killin me Smalls.

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-05-2009, 03:15 PM
We need to get one of these guys we're after, and soon. The suspense is killin me Smalls.

haha, Squints and wendy peffercorn are apparently big Xavier fans.

SixFig
06-05-2009, 04:38 PM
Noel wishes he were this man

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_zCl46BlT4_I/RebF2HnpkJI/AAAAAAAAB_8/1g11AG9zlB8/s400/sandlot-2squints.jpg

Xman95
06-05-2009, 05:01 PM
I have to admit, I'm probably hoping this kid picks X more than I am any other recruit. Perhaps it's the fact that he can help next season. Maybe it's because he would give us a shooter with length. Or it could be the versatility he could bring to Victory Parkway. Whatever it is, I would love to see this kid join the Xavier family.

???
06-06-2009, 12:39 AM
I realize following recruiting is interesting and can be fun, however the following players are not going to sign with Xavier. Don't shoot the messenger, I am not trying to be rude or disrespectful.

JD Weatherspoon
Doron Lamb
Will Barton
Adrien Payne
Justin Martin
Jamil Jones
Jalen Kendrick
Jason Morris

Transfer- Noel Johnson.

Jordan Latham is a possibility.

The 2009 class is pretty much complete. There could be one juco coming in but it is not for sure. He is a big man.

I was given this information tonight as far as what is realistic next year and what could still come in for 2009.

AviatorX
06-06-2009, 12:43 AM
I realize following recruiting is interesting and can be fun, however the following players are not going to sign with Xavier. Don't shoot the messenger, I am not trying to be rude or disrespectful.

JD Weatherspoon
Doron Lamb
Will Barton
Adrien Payne
Justin Martin
Jamil Jones
Jalen Kendrick
Jason Morris

Transfer- Noel Johnson.

The 2009 class is pretty much complete. There could be one juco coming in but it is not for sure. He is a big man.

I was given this information tonight as far as what is realistic next year and what could still come in for 2009.

Yep, take this as gospel...

Barton already committed to Memphis, Lamb was a Book guy, Payne was always a reach, but Spoon and Latham are real possibilities, to go along with a transfer. As for Johnson, who knows? He literally just reopened his recruiting process what, a week ago?

Also, believe it or not, you lose some credibility when you classify Johnson as a transfer (he's not) and misspell Adreian Payne's name.

Xman95
06-06-2009, 01:09 AM
Barton already committed to Memphis,

Why the @%$& would a 5-star recruit commit to Memphis now? Perhaps they offered some great "incentives." I get the feeling that Calipari wasn't the only dirty thing about that program.

Cincy Muskie
06-06-2009, 07:08 AM
Xman you sound bitter. Mack and staff will soon begin landing players for the 2010 class. It's obvious Will wanted to go to a school his brother Antonio could also go to. Best of luck to the Barton's at UM. Many thought Will was a Calipari/UK lock a couple weeks ago. I was hoping we would have heard something in regards to Jake O'Brien by now. Hopefully some good news to be had today on that front. Concerning Weatherspoon and Latham indications are the Musketeers are still at the top of their list. The best fit for 'Spoon would be X over tOSU and Maryland. He is a combo forward and would have a better chance of stepping in and playing for XU right away than those other schools. The academic environment and support is much better on Victory Parkway than anything you will find in Columbus and College Park also.

Xman95
06-06-2009, 10:25 AM
Xman you sound bitter.

Not really bitter, just baffled. I just don't understand how a 5-star prospect, who can go just about anywhere, decides to go to a school that could wind up getting hit with penalties. Why not at least wait a little longer to see what happens? Of course, with no LOI signed at this point, I guess he could still walk away at any point. So, if the NCAA does drop some punishment on them, Barton would still be free to go somewhere else. Still seems a little odd though. (Even if he wanted to go somewhere with his brother...I'm sure there were other schools willing to take both. From what I've read it seems Antonio is pretty damn good too.)

AviatorX
06-06-2009, 10:26 AM
Not really bitter, just baffled. I just don't understand how a 5-star prospect, who can go just about anywhere, decides to go to a school that could wind up getting hit with penalties. Why not at least wait a little longer to see what happens? Of course, with no LOI signed at this point, I guess he could still walk away at any point. So, if the NCAA does drop some punishment on them, Barton would still be free to go somewhere else. Still seems a little odd though. (Even if he wanted to go somewhere with his brother...I'm sure there were other schools willing to take both. From what I've read it seems Antonio is pretty damn good too.)

I think what it came down to was Memphis offered his brother and UK didn't.

xu15
06-06-2009, 11:01 AM

JD Weatherspoon
Doron Lamb
Will Barton
Adrien Payne
Justin Martin
Jamil Jones
Jalen Kendrick
Jason Morris

Transfer- Noel Johnson.

Why would you say that Weatherspoon is not a possibility? I heard he was.

xsteve1
06-06-2009, 04:00 PM
I'm getting the feeling we may be out with JD as well. He doesn't seem as solid as he did a couple of weeks ago and the longer this drags on the worse it gets for us.
I guess Mack's going to have to prove he can coach before he gets any trust from recruits.

kyxu
06-06-2009, 04:06 PM

JD Weatherspoon
Doron Lamb
Will Barton
Adrien Payne
Justin Martin
Jamil Jones
Jalen Kendrick
Jason Morris

Transfer- Noel Johnson.

I'm getting the feeling we may be out with JD as well. He doesn't seem as solid as he did a couple of weeks ago and the longer this drags on the worse it gets for us.
I guess Mack's going to have to prove he can coach before he gets any trust from recruits.

I'm getting the feeling some people like to talk out of their ass.

xsteve1
06-06-2009, 04:17 PM

With the way the off seasons gone what would make you feel so confident about JD? If he's looking at taking visits to Maryland etc. maybe its time for Mack to pull a put up or shut up like Miller did with JD. JD's not a make or break recruit IMO.

kyxu
06-06-2009, 04:22 PM
With the way the off seasons gone what would make you feel so confident about JD?

Because I don't have knee-jerk reactions based on information that either doesn't mean all that much (visit to Maryland), or any other things I've fabricated in my own mind (that this offseason has brought upon disrepair to the program).

wkrq59
06-06-2009, 04:24 PM
Anybody see SN's online edition today...???Seems Memphis facing even more inquires now on another player who phoneyed an SAT score. And he was a huge, 4-year, part of their program.
Beware, recruits. Memphis is going down and apparently in a big way. Friends from that city are telling me the whole staff is shaking in its boots. Just when they figured they had escaped, this new stuff comes up.:D:D

AviatorX
06-06-2009, 05:57 PM
People really need to settle down. Everything will fall into place, one way or another. Give these kids time to decide, it is a pretty big decision for them.

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-06-2009, 05:58 PM
Anybody see SN's online edition today...???Seems Memphis facing even more inquires now on another player who phoneyed an SAT score. And he was a huge, 4-year, part of their program.
Beware, recruits. Memphis is going down and apparently in a big way. Friends from that city are telling me the whole staff is shaking in its boots. Just when they figured they had escaped, this new stuff comes up.:D:D

Of course Teflon Calipari will get away scot free....I really don't know how he gets away with it. Theres only so many times people will take the fall for him or he can claim "I didn't know." Absurd

We'll be saying the same thing about UK in 5-7 years...Unfortunately, we may have to put up with even UK fans heads being the size of Rhode Island after making a final four or dare i say it winning a national championship. But don't worry, i'm sure those appearances will get wiped away eventually (See UMass and Memphis).

AviatorX
06-06-2009, 06:00 PM
Of course Teflon Calipari will get away scot free....I really don't know how he gets away with it. Theres only so many times people will take the fall for him or he can claim "I didn't know." Absurd

We'll be saying the same thing about UK in 5-7 years...Unfortunately, we may have to put up with even UK fans heads being the size of Rhode Island after making a final four or dare i say it winning a national championship. But don't worry, i'm sure those appearances will get wiped away eventually (See UMass and Memphis).

Not saying Cal is 100% clean, but how can you blame him for not knowing someone else took this kid's SAT, or Rose's for that matter? He can't follow every recruit everywhere they go and I'm sure he didn't ask for specific scores or anything, just knew that they passed the clearinghouse, and then went back to thinking about how they could contribute to basketball.

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-06-2009, 06:06 PM
Not saying Cal is 100% clean, but how can you blame him for not knowing someone else took this kid's SAT, or Rose's for that matter? He can't follow every recruit everywhere they go and I'm sure he didn't ask for specific scores or anything, just knew that they passed the clearinghouse, and then went back to thinking about how they could contribute to basketball.

True...If Dozier was denied at GA because they thought his SAT scores were shady, and Memphis accepted him its not really his problem. But then I look back at his UMass incident with Camby. and the reasons the UK didn't hire him 2 years ago was precisly because of this baggage.It'll happen again at UK in my opinion.

Remember the story with Pitino and Huggins? When they were found dining together in Louisville? The reporter asked something like "What gives guys? I thought you hated each other?" And Pitino says "Well we have something in common. we both think Calipari is the Anti-Christ." hahaha.

AviatorX
06-06-2009, 06:17 PM
True...If Dozier was denied at GA because they thought his SAT scores were shady, and Memphis accepted him its not really his problem. But then I look back at his UMass incident with Camby. and the reasons the UK didn't hire him 2 years ago was precisly because of this baggage.It'll happen again at UK in my opinion.

Remember the story with Pitino and Huggins? When they were found dining together in Louisville? The reporter asked something like "What gives guys? I thought you hated each other?" And Pitino says "Well we have something in common. we both think Calipari is the Anti-Christ." hahaha.

Don't get the wrong idea, I can't stand the guy.

But if I'm not mistaken, Dozier passed through the NCAA clearinghouse, which then allows any school to potentially sign him. UGA avoided him when they saw the difference between the two scores (he went from the 4th to the 89th percentile) and passed. Although you may think it was obvious (it was), Memphis can probably argue that they just thought he worked hard in an SAT prep class or whatever.

Whether it is this specific incident or something else, I'm sure Memphis is going to get caught with something.

xufan02
06-07-2009, 05:11 PM

I agree. Trolls and folks that know nothing about Xavier recruiting need to relax. The staff has a lot of great talent that they are going after and recruiting wins are in the near future. As for the recruiting list given before. I will make some comments:

JD Weatherspoon- He will not leave the state of Ohio. Its Xavier or OSU.
Doron Lamb- We had a 10-20% chance with the old staff, 0% with the new staff.
Will Barton- Combo deal, it was either UK or Memphis.
Adrien Payne- Xavier has little to no shot, he will end up in West Virginia.
Justin Martin- To early to tell, Arizona and Xavier will be in the mix.
Jamil Jones- Visiting XU this month.
Jalen Kendrick- Never was a realistic target, ACC or SEC.
Jason Morris- See Doron Lamb.

Transfer- Noel Johnson- To get listed this late in the game is a testiment to Kelsey and Xavier's reputation. Long Shot.

Jordan Latham- Really loves Xavier and is building a great relationship with the staff.

When the staff was put in place the recruiting picture changed a bit, these are the guys you need to watch for: JD, Latham, Canty, Spearman, Jones, Martin, Hale, Jake O'Brien, and about 5 others. If these guys start falling off the board, then it is time to start to get concerned.

XU99deuce
06-07-2009, 05:40 PM
I agree. Trolls and folks that know nothing about Xavier recruiting need to relax. The staff has a lot of great talent that they are going after and recruiting wins are in the near future. As for the recruiting list given before. I will make some comments:

Transfer- Noel Johnson- To get listed this late in the game is a testiment to Kelsey and Xavier's reputation. Long Shot.

Jordan Latham- Really loves Xavier and is building a great relationship with the staff.

When the staff was put in place the recruiting picture changed a bit, these are the guys you need to watch for: JD, Latham, Canty, Spearman, Jones, Martin, Hale, Jake O'Brien, and about 5 others. If these guys start falling off the board, then it is time to start to get concerned.

Just curious, where are you getting all of this?

???
06-07-2009, 06:20 PM

It comes from somebody close to the program and he was given direct information regarding that list of recruits. Anything can happen but I thought that I would pass it on to the XU fans.

AviatorX
06-07-2009, 06:24 PM
It comes from somebody close to the program and he was given direct information regarding that list of recruits. Anything can happen but I thought that I would pass it on to the XU fans.

Sorry, not buying it. Hate to doubt your source, but the "inside" information you posted contradicts just about everything I've read about some of those guys.

xufan02
06-07-2009, 07:27 PM

A few Bigtime donors and Xavier Alumni, Scout, Rivals, Bucknuts, etc.....

???
06-07-2009, 10:46 PM
Sorry, not buying it. Hate to doubt your source, but the "inside" information you posted contradicts just about everything I've read about some of those guys.

No problem. I was just passing on what I was told. One of the recruits(Barton) is already off the board.

Noel Johnson- has narrowed his list to 5. No mention of XU as of this evening.

AviatorX
06-07-2009, 10:51 PM
No problem. I was just passing on what I was told. One of the recruits(Barton) is already off the board.

Noel Johnson- has narrowed his list to 5. No mention of XU as of this evening.

Not saying you and your source are completely wrong. But I feel that with Weatherspoon, Latham, and O'Brien, there is at least a decent shot at landing them.

Barton was always a longshot, and Noel Johnson probably hadn't even thought a thing about Xavier until a few days ago.

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-08-2009, 12:13 PM

Very Interesting. In regards to weatherspoon, is dayton still in the running? On scout/rivals it says its down to UD/XU but i assume it hasn't been updated for a long time, but a few arrogant UD fans have claimed that Staten is persuading him to go to UD (More wishful thinking on their part i think) . Lamb and Barton and Payne all seemed pipe dreams. Who is this top JuCo prospect that was on campus i keep hearing about?

kdawg23
06-08-2009, 12:59 PM

Is this your opinion that he will end up at WVU or have you heard something else? Everything I have heard about Payne is that he hasn't really started to seriously consider where he wants to go. I was just suprised to see any team as his likely destination at this point.

Lamont Sanford
06-08-2009, 01:04 PM
Who is this top JuCo prospect that was on campus i keep hearing about?

Yes, who is this JuCo prospect? I read recently that there weren't any "good" JuCo's unsigned at this point.

Anyone have some scoop?

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-08-2009, 01:29 PM
Yes, who is this JuCo prospect? I read recently that there weren't any "good" JuCo's unsigned at this point.

Anyone have some scoop?

It was on the front page of Musketeerscoop like 5 days ago i believe, maybe a week. It said something about June being important for the Musketeers and that Xavier has "already had a top JuCo prospect on campus"

SixFig
06-08-2009, 01:39 PM
It was on the front page of Musketeerscoop like 5 days ago i believe, maybe a week. It said something about June being important for the Musketeers and that Xavier has "already had a top JuCo prospect on campus"

The pic attached to that article is Robert Goff , classified in rivals as a 3-star class of 2010 from Arkansas City Crowley College CC. Not sure if thats the guy Snows referring to.

Muskie
06-08-2009, 01:49 PM
The pic attached to that article is Robert Goff , classified in rivals as a 3-star class of 2010 from Arkansas City Crowley College CC. Not sure if thats the guy Snows referring to.

Goff is originally from Broadripple High School in Indianapolis.

AviatorX
06-08-2009, 02:14 PM
No commitment from Mr. Johnson to UNLV over his weekend visit.

Lamont Sanford
06-08-2009, 02:23 PM
No commitment from Mr. Johnson to UNLV over his weekend visit.

Well, that is certainly promising.

Again, if Noel Johnson is truly looking for a good academic institution with a top level basketball program, then I'm not sure how UNLV and USC fit into the equation.

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-08-2009, 02:25 PM
Well, that is certainly promising.

Again, if Noel Johnson is truly looking for a good academic institution with a top level basketball program, then I'm not sure how UNLV and USC fit into the equation.

USC is actually a pretty good academic school regardless of their football teams reputation. Kind of like the U in Miami.

So no commitment to UNLV or Charlotte. hopefully we can get him on campus soon

MuskieCinci
06-08-2009, 02:31 PM
If Pat Kelsey can somehow get this kid on campus and seal the deal that will be one of the most impressive recruiting performances ever at Xavier. I think it is a huge long shot but as this kid takes his time and takes more visits that just gives Pat more time to work the charm. I am officially starting to get my hopes up because once one recruit signs with Xavier (especially a big time one like Noel Johnson) it starts to put pressure on other recruits and all of a sudden within a couple of months it could domino from 0 committments to 3 or 4.

???
06-08-2009, 02:52 PM
Very Interesting. In regards to weatherspoon, is dayton still in the running? On scout/rivals it says its down to UD/XU but i assume it hasn't been updated for a long time, but a few arrogant UD fans have claimed that Staten is persuading him to go to UD (More wishful thinking on their part i think) . Lamb and Barton and Payne all seemed pipe dreams. Who is this top JuCo prospect that was on campus i keep hearing about?

Rivals and Scout need to update that on Weatherspoon, he is considering a few ACC and Big 10 schools. The word is that Staten is in his ear and Payne's ear. We will see. Payne will be close to home or he either got a BIG envelope or his grandmother will be moving with him which would raise some flags. Payne is not close on a decision.

Robert Goff is said to be the best Juco big man in the 2010 class. He was not recruited by very many big schools out of high school but has apparently really developed over the last two years and is a very athletic big man. I know he was in town this weekend visiting UC, maybe he went over to XU too.

Again, I was not trying to come on here and be discouraging, that original list I posted was just a list of 10 names of recruits that I received information about, that XU fans might want to know about.

bobbiemcgee
06-08-2009, 02:54 PM
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2009/jun/08/johnson-visit-update/

Muskie
06-08-2009, 03:01 PM
Rivals and Scout need to update that on Weatherspoon, he is considering a few ACC and Big 10 schools. The word is that Staten is in his ear and Payne's ear. We will see. Payne will be close to home or he either got a BIG envelope or his grandmother will be moving with him which would raise some flags. Payne is not close on a decision.

Robert Goff is said to be the best Juco big man in the 2010 class. He was not recruited by very many big schools out of high school but has apparently really developed over the last two years and is a very athletic big man. I know he was in town this weekend visiting UC, maybe he went over to XU too.

Again, I was not trying to come on here and be discouraging, that original list I posted was just a list of 10 names of recruits that I received information about, that XU fans might want to know about.

Goff had academic issues out of H.S., which is why he ended up at Junior College.
He visited X this past weekend.

xunorm
06-08-2009, 03:20 PM
he decommitted from USC because of the Mayo issue, I can't believe UConn would be at the top of his list with the Miles issue. Also, it seems like the SEC has much lower standards for its students (i.e. Basketball 101). This kid sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders. He might like the bright lights of Vegas, but if he wants to step in and contribute on a great team right away, X would be a great fit. Just get him on campus, and have him enroll.

???
06-08-2009, 03:21 PM
Goff had academic issues out of H.S., which is why he ended up at Junior College.
He visited X this past weekend.

I am not arguing or discussing why he went to a Juco, I am saying he was not very good coming out of high school, especially for his size but I was told in January that the guy has done a 180 and is expected to very good at the D-I level.

AviatorX
06-08-2009, 03:22 PM
If we get Noel on campus, we're solidly in the picture. I don't think anyone can disagree with that.

kyxu
06-08-2009, 03:26 PM
If we get Noel on campus, we're solidly in the picture. I don't think anyone can disagree with that.

I know it's a long shot to get this guy, but getting him into a Xavier uniform would certainly dull the blow of Derrick Brown leaving.

PMI
06-08-2009, 03:36 PM
It's great news that we at least appear to still be on the radar, but if I were a UNLV fan I'd feel fairly optimistic about my chances. Like someone said, if Kelsey could just get him onto campus for a visit, you never know.

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-08-2009, 03:38 PM
I know it's a long shot to get this guy, but getting him into a Xavier uniform would certainly dull the blow of Derrick Brown leaving.

Definitely agreed. At least he's stating publicly he's interested in X. You know that Mack and Kelsey are doing everything in their power to get him here.

and i forgot who said it, but whoever said that a signing like this could steamroll the other recruits into signing is dead on.

Muskie
06-08-2009, 03:39 PM
I am not arguing or discussing why he went to a Juco, I am saying he was not very good coming out of high school, especially for his size but I was told in January that the guy has done a 180 and is expected to very good at the D-I level.

I know... I was just filling others in on why he went the Juco route. He was originally an X target before Juco (i'm not sure how much mutual interest there was).

I'm told Indiana St., would love to have him.

xufan02
06-08-2009, 03:51 PM
Is this your opinion that he will end up at WVU or have you heard something else? Everything I have heard about Payne is that he hasn't really started to seriously consider where he wants to go. I was just suprised to see any team as his likely destination at this point.

This is a very weird recruitment, he likes Huggins and I think it would be a good fit. Huggins would get the most out of him. He is not a WVU lean by any means, but I have a feeling he will end up there.

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-08-2009, 03:55 PM
This is a very weird recruitment, he likes Huggins and I think it would be a good fit. Huggins would get the most out of him. He is not a WVU lean by any means, but I have a feeling he will end up there.

On rivals it says his interest is high. with Xavier and UK and others as medium. UD as low. doubt its been updated for awhile but it is interesting to see WVU is or was at the top of his list

Cincy Muskie
06-08-2009, 04:48 PM
I agree that if we can land a recruit the caliber of Johnson this late in the game Mack, Kelsey, et al would have a giant feather in their cap. ??? seems to be a UD troll btw.

I seen Weatherspoon and Adriean Payne play this weekend at Princeton high school for the Ohio AAU tournament. Easy to see the talent in both individuals. From everything I have read about Payne he seems like one of those guys that plays basketball because everybody tells him he should. He doesn't seem to be a big fan of college basketball overall. You can have all the talent in the world but if you don't have the 'fire' god given talent will only take you so far. Doesn't matter who the coach is. Bob Knight and Bob Huggins were both great 'motivators' and they both had their share of 'busts'. I am referring to on the court 'busts' nothing off of it. ;)

PMI
06-08-2009, 05:20 PM
??? is a UC fan. I don't think he's a troll but I don't take his or anyone's word as gospel when it comes to recruiting, because you really never know. Things change, as has been all too evident to us the past couple months. While many of us have very reliable sources when it comes to the XU program and recruiting scene, until I hear newsworthy info from a recruit, his parent/guardian, his coach, or one of our coaches, I hold off on my celebratory or sorrow-drowning drink.

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-08-2009, 05:35 PM
???'s word is about as good as a Shawn Kemp's* speech at an abstinence convention.

*i am referring to the 11 kids by 9 different women in case no one could understand the abstract analogy

Cincy Muskie
06-08-2009, 06:40 PM
Good advice PMI on celebrating recruiting 'victories'. Until you see them in the bookstore getting what they need for classes it is best to hold off. Things truly are always subject to change when it comes to recruits.

Personally I think we are a bit of a longshot for Noel but if we can get him on campus that would be a step in the right direction.

Xman95
06-08-2009, 06:44 PM
*i am referring to the 11 kids by 9 different women in case no one could understand the abstract analogy

Kemp just checked out this board and got excited that someone paid attention to the part of his speech about preventing pregnancies even if not totally abstinent. Then he realized an "r" was missing from analogy.

By the way, in the last three minutes Kemp fathered 7 more kids.

Xman95
06-08-2009, 06:52 PM
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2009/jun/08/johnson-visit-update/

That made me mildly optimistic. Honestly, if they are looking for a combination of a great program and a great academic school, it will be tough for them to find an option better than Xavier. Not to mention Johnson would probably get solid playing time as a freshman. Obviously he wouldn't knock down 30 minutes per game, but he would definitely contribute.

Hopefully Mack and Co. get him on campus so he can get an up-close view of what Xavier is all about.

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-08-2009, 06:59 PM
By the way, in the last three minutes Kemp fathered 7 more kids.

hahaha, he's a mini wilt chamberlain

colbob
06-08-2009, 07:09 PM
There is a pretty good rumor that Johnson will be on campus Thursday. If he shows up, I have confidence in Mack and Kelsey to sell him on X.

xufan02
06-08-2009, 07:39 PM
It is no rumor, he will be on campus Wednesday and Thursday.

http://rebelnation.lvrj.com/2009/06/08/noel-johnson-to-take-more-recruiting-trips

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-08-2009, 07:42 PM

http://rebelnation.lvrj.com/2009/06/08/noel-johnson-to-take-more-recruiting-trips

Yes!! I'm not expecting anything but just the fact our coaching staff managed to get this guy on campus in these extreme circumstances is amazing

xu15
06-08-2009, 07:43 PM

I just got a hard on. (OK, maybe a little exaggeration) But this is a little glimmer of hope for this guy.

Some good news in the near future would be nice.

Xman95
06-08-2009, 07:47 PM
I just got a hard on. (OK, maybe a little exaggeration) But this is a little glimmer of hope for this guy.

Some good news in the near future would be nice.

Be careful what you do with it. (You might want to read the Shawn Kemp-related posts!)

xufan02
06-08-2009, 08:00 PM
I know that we were a long shot at getting Noel a week ago, but I think we have a legitimate shot. He has said on numerous occasions that education is important. We have graduated endless numbers of our players. Also he said that playing time was important. We have three seniors gone from last years team, two who will play in Europe, and one that will land in the first round at the end of the month. Playing time is available and given our personnel we will be running an open offense with 4 guards. We have no SF signees for 2009, and we did not have a wing/SF signee in 2008.

I'm interested to see if Kelsey and Mack can make this happen. The red-carpet will be rolled out no doubt, let's hope they can close.

Frambo
06-08-2009, 08:07 PM
roll out the red carpet and hopefully some testimonials from West, Hill, Larkin, Brown etc.!

That's probably illegal, isn't it????

Mark 3 Pointer
06-08-2009, 08:09 PM
Xavier needs this... I need this. Get'em Kelsey!

THRILLHOUSE
06-08-2009, 08:16 PM
roll out the red carpet and hopefully some testimonials from West, Hill, Larkin, Brown etc.!

That's probably illegal, isn't it????

yes, very illegal

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-08-2009, 08:35 PM
i'm watching one of the YouTube videos of him. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm49x9Zfp-k

One of his trainers is none other than Mahmoud Abdul Rauf.

They said the kid is still growing. What a statement this would be if Kelsey can pull him in.

xufan02
06-08-2009, 08:47 PM
i'm watching one of the YouTube videos of him. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm49x9Zfp-k

One of his trainers is none other than Mahmoud Abdul Rauf.

They said the kid is still growing. What a statement this would be if Kelsey can pull him in.

Mahmoud Abdul Rauf 'aka' Chris Jackson is an LSU alum. LSU will be in the mix too. Hope Kelsey can close this one.

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-08-2009, 08:48 PM
Mahmoud Abdul Rauf 'aka' Chris Jackson is an LSU alum. LSU will be in the mix too. Hope Kelsey can close this one.

Great point. I completely forgot!

AviatorX
06-08-2009, 09:06 PM
I'll take a 6'7 guy that can shoot the ball and defend any day. Perfect for the wing in the XU system.

thefortyniner
06-09-2009, 01:32 AM
Everybody is claiming to be #1 on his list. LSU is being typical cocky SEC fans, "no way he goes to a lowly Atlantic 10 or MWC school!"

My .02, I think he plays in the A10 next year. I'd say 70/30, Charlotte advantage. X has a standing tradition and excellent academics, but I do recall an interview in which he said that he wanted to be a part of a growing tradition. (Don't quote me on that, it was straight out of memory.) Charlotte is above average academically, exceptional for a school of its size really, and a program that is quickly rebuilding itself to the prominence it enjoyed in the 90's (see Shamarr Bowden, Shamari Spears, KJ Sherril, and Chris Braswell). On the academics/tradition front, I give Xavier the edge.

However, our ace in the hole is our system. A big guy who likes to - and can - hit the three is Bobby Lutz's dream kid. Noel Johnson is perfect for the Charlotte system, and he knows it. I think that this, along with the very impressive class of recruits, redshirts, and transfers who will be joining the team in the Fall, will sway Johnson to add some green to his wardrobe.

Like I said though, everybody claims to be #1 on his list, and most fanbases have a few legitimate claims as to why. I'm no different, so here you go...
http://www.mii.org/Minerals/Minpics1/Rock%20Salt.jpg

danaandvictory
06-09-2009, 04:13 AM
However, our ace in the hole is our system. A big guy who likes to - and can - hit the three is Bobby Lutz's dream kid.

That explains why you secured the signatures of Justin Doellman, Josh Duncan, and Derrick Brown I guess.

thefortyniner
06-09-2009, 05:33 AM
That explains why you secured the signatures of Justin Doellman, Josh Duncan, and Derrick Brown I guess.

Should I have given you a bigger grain of salt?

XU99deuce
06-09-2009, 06:05 AM
Should I have given you a bigger grain of salt?

Haha...I love how you say everyone is claiming they are the leader, then you make your claim as to why the 49ers are the leader. In reality, he doesn't have any disclosed leaders. Let's just wait to see where the chips fall.

Braswell and Johnson would be a very, very good class regardless of who else you are bringing in.

thefortyniner
06-09-2009, 06:09 AM
Haha...I love how you say everyone is claiming they are the leader, then you make your claim as to why the 49ers are the leader. In reality, he doesn't have any disclosed leaders. Let's just wait to see where the chips fall.

Braswell and Johnson would be a very, very good class regardless of who else you are bringing in.

Oh I know, it was intentional. I can talk all day long about what I think is going to happen, but in reality the kid is a crap shoot and could wind up anywhere.

As exciting as this class of newcomers is, with or without Noel Johnson... the memory of one Martin Iti is doing a good job to keep my optimism guarded.

note: Sorry if this doesn't make any sense, and if not I'll edit later. Insomnia sucks.

kyxu
06-09-2009, 06:47 AM
Everybody is claiming to be #1 on his list. LSU is being typical cocky SEC fans, "no way he goes to a lowly Atlantic 10 or MWC school!"

My .02, I think he plays in the A10 next year. I'd say 70/30, Charlotte advantage. X has a standing tradition and excellent academics, but I do recall an interview in which he said that he wanted to be a part of a growing tradition. (Don't quote me on that, it was straight out of memory.) Charlotte is above average academically, exceptional for a school of its size really, and a program that is quickly rebuilding itself to the prominence it enjoyed in the 90's (see Shamarr Bowden, Shamari Spears, KJ Sherril, and Chris Braswell). On the academics/tradition front, I give Xavier the edge.

However, our ace in the hole is our system. A big guy who likes to - and can - hit the three is Bobby Lutz's dream kid. Noel Johnson is perfect for the Charlotte system, and he knows it. I think that this, along with the very impressive class of recruits, redshirts, and transfers who will be joining the team in the Fall, will sway Johnson to add some green to his wardrobe.

Like I said though, everybody claims to be #1 on his list, and most fanbases have a few legitimate claims as to why. I'm no different, so here you go...
http://www.mii.org/Minerals/Minpics1/Rock%20Salt.jpg

I guess it depends on what you'd call a "growing tradition." In comparison to USC or LSU, Xavier's tradition could be seen as burgeoning. Now, Xavier compared to the rest of the A-10, probably not. If he was taking a tour of only Atlantic 10 schools, I think I would understand your argument a little better.

But, whatever. I'm happy with the visit, but I don't really foresee Noel ending up at Charlotte...or Xavier.

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-09-2009, 09:13 AM
But, whatever. I'm happy with the visit, but I don't really foresee Noel ending up at Charlotte...or Xavier.

Where do you think? LSU or UConn?

Xman95
06-09-2009, 10:10 AM

To be fair, D-Brown wasn't exactly a 3-pt. shooter (or much of a shooter period) coming out of high school. He was a slash, jump, dunk athlete. He really just started getting consistent with the 3-ball last season. Now, Doellman and Duncan...

Of course 49er was obviously having a little fun with that post. Sure, he probably believes a good chunk of it. But he also knows that there's a whole mess of "fanspeak" involved with that post, thus the grain of salt. (There's a reason that cat is one of my favorite non-X posters.)

xu15
06-09-2009, 11:43 AM
I understand the 49ers points, and we are all going to say how our team should/will get him. BUT, the growing tradition part......Xavier is one of the biggest programs on the rise in the nation right now. A return to prominence....Charlotte, but ON THE RISE...(and just a lot better right now) definitely Xavier.

I don't know where this kid will end up. But given my limited info I would guess 50 lsu/20 X/20 Charlotte/10 UNLV. Not to cover all my bases or anything

PMI
06-09-2009, 11:49 AM
I would say UNLV has a much better than 10% chance. Apparently he liked his UNLV and Charlotte visits a lot, so I'd have to put both of those schools above the others until something changes. Now we just have to hope everything goes perfect on his visit.

Xman95
06-09-2009, 12:20 PM
I would say UNLV has a much better than 10% chance. Apparently he liked his UNLV and Charlotte visits a lot, so I'd have to put both of those schools above the others until something changes. Now we just have to hope everything goes perfect on his visit.

Right now I would say 50/50 UNLV and Charlotte. But only because those are the places where he made the visits. When he gets to X, I would guess UNLV is still at about 40%, with Charlotte and X being in the 30% range. The reason I think UNLV is going to stay a solid favorite is the fact that Johnson's father is friends with one of the assistants. But, if Noel is truly looking for a great academic school with a very good program that's on the rise, I think Xavier is the best option for him.

The one thing that could be a drawback is the style of play, but Mack's claim that they'll play faster next season could help. Plus, if Johnson is on the floor with someone like Redford, he'll get open looks from 3. There's no way a team can ignore Brad, so that takes one defender out of the equation. You can't then commit totally to someone like Noel because it leaves three guys to try and cover a trio such as Frease, Crawford and Lyons without doubling.

Even without Brad on the floor, Johnson would still get nice looks with all the other talent out there. And, given that he would like to play several positions, I'm sure he would find an opportunity to do so at X. I could see him being a factor in his first year, logging solid minutes from spots 1-3, possibly with an occasional glimpse at the 4. The firepower and versatility this team could have would be sick:

TuTu Holloway - PG
Mark Lyons - PG, SG
Jordan Crawford - SG, PG, SF
Brad Redford: SG, PG
Dante Jackson: SF, SG, PG
Noel Johnson: SF, SG, PG, PF (a stretch, but possibly in a 4-guard system)
Brian Walsh: SF, SG
Jamel McLean: PF
Andrew Taylor: PF
Jason Love: C, PF
Kenny Frease: C

Imagine running an attack like Orlando does. Frease down in the post, with Lyons, Redford, Crawford and Johnson spread out on the perimeter. Double down on Kenny, he finds the open man and they swing it until they get the open three. Don't double and take your chances with the 7-footer rocking one through the rim and off your melon.

LyonsIsFlyin
06-09-2009, 12:26 PM
I like our chances with us getting him on campus tomorrow but something tells me this is actually LSU's to lose. I say this because they have everything he's looking for, style of play, playing time, good facilities etc. and he has the connection there with his trainer. Usually I don't let that sway my opinion but I know he's been to LSU a couple times on his own so that has to count for something.

SixFig
06-09-2009, 12:38 PM
I am also imagining an Orlando Magic style system where positions 1-4, though not totally undersized, spread the floor and shoot the jumpers. This would aid in the development of Frease, or Love as they would be the destination of many inbounds passes. Then we could hit opponents with the proverbial changeup of a front court and smaller backcourt. We could even do it hockey style, with 2 lines (not probable, but just for fun)...

Starting 5
Holloway
Crawford
Jackson
Johnson
Love

Second line
Lyons
Redford
Walsh
McClean
Frease

A10fan
06-09-2009, 12:51 PM
I like our chances with us getting him on campus tomorrow but something tells me this is actually LSU's to lose. I say this because they have everything he's looking for, style of play, playing time, good facilities etc. and he has the connection there with his trainer. Usually I don't let that sway my opinion but I know he's been to LSU a couple times on his own so that has to count for something.

I'd buy that if he wasn't taking sooo long. If he was that big of an LSU lean then make the call. I think X has an excellent chance if they can do it before he leaves. Once he leaves without committing I think it's over.

Xman95
06-09-2009, 01:04 PM
I'd buy that if he wasn't taking sooo long. If he was that big of an LSU lean then make the call. I think X has an excellent chance if they can do it before he leaves. Once he leaves without committing I think it's over.

That's my feeling on it too. I have a feeling he knows what he's looking for and, if he finds it all at a certain school, he'll commit right there. If he doesn't find it, on to the next school.

Now, when it's all said and done, he might not find it all at one place. And, honestly, I don't think any of us knows exactly what Johnson's looking for. Yes, we know about the academics, good program on the rise, blah, blah, blah. But there are other things that will always come into play. At this stage, he might not find that total package (no, not Mark Smydra) that he's looking for. Because of that, I tend to think he's going to make a few more visits and wind up with his dad's pal at UNLV.

(Being a Musketeer, I actually think X can give the kid everything he's looking for, but I didn't want my fandom getting in the way of what I was shooting for - an unbiased post.)

MuskieCinci
06-09-2009, 01:10 PM
Noel would be a huge get for us in case Crawford is as good as some are suggesting and goes pro after just one year. Then Dante could slide back to shooting guard and Johnson could step into the starting line up and provide us with a big versatile SF who can dribble and shoot it.

jpbxu
06-09-2009, 03:01 PM
You are getting a little too far ahead of yourself there Muskiecinci. We haven't even signed this recruit and you are talking about Crawford going pro. haha

thefortyniner
06-10-2009, 12:24 AM
I understand the 49ers points, and we are all going to say how our team should/will get him. BUT, the growing tradition part......Xavier is one of the biggest programs on the rise in the nation right now. A return to prominence....Charlotte, but ON THE RISE...(and just a lot better right now) definitely Xavier.

I don't know where this kid will end up. But given my limited info I would guess 50 lsu/20 X/20 Charlotte/10 UNLV. Not to cover all my bases or anything

Your humility is noted. I was trying to say that you are already there in comparison to our current position on the prestige scale.

LutherRackleyRulez
06-10-2009, 07:50 AM
Blog note posted yesterday by Jody Demling --- Louisville C-J...

Noel Johnson update

Not a lot going on this week.

But one guy in the Class of 2009 still looking is a guy that has intrigued me for a while - Fayetteville (Ga.) Fayette County forward Noel Johnson.

Johnson was a hot commodity prior to last summer with Louisville high on his list. He didn't play as well last summer and ended up committing to USC.

He recently got out of that letter and is now looking around.

Lynbert "Cheese" Johnson, the player's father, told Scout.com that his son has visited Charlotte and UNLV and will also visit Xavier. Among the other schools still in the running for Johnson are LSU, Connecticut and Indiana.

Not sure how serious the Indiana interest is but it's interesting. Johnson is a 6-foot-7 skilled player who is considered a top-50 players nationally.

http://www.courier-journal.com/blogs/demling/2009/06/noel-johnson-update_09.html#comments

Pete Delkus
06-10-2009, 08:25 AM
Blog note posted yesterday by Jody Demling --- Louisville C-J...

Lynbert "Cheese" Johnson, the player's father, told Scout.com that his son has visited Charlotte and UNLV and will also visit Xavier. Among the other schools still in the running for Johnson are LSU, Connecticut and Indiana.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/LimburgerCheese3.jpg

Wichita State
Lynbert "Cheese" Johnson (Basketball, 1976-79)
Cheese was a four-year starter for the Shocker basketball team.

was the Missouri Valley Conference "Newcomer of the Year" in 1976 and was a first-team all-MVC selection in 1977 and 1979 and was a second-team pick in 1978.

he led WSU in scoring for three years and in rebounding twice.

Johnson ranked third at the time of his induction into the Hall in total career rebounds at WSU with 1,027.

he also ranked fifth in total points scored with 1,907 and fifth in field goal percentage having made over 52 percent of his shots during his college career.

his 17.3 career scoring average at WSU ranked him seventh all-time at the school at the time of his induction and his 9.3 per game rebound average was the schoolšs tenth-best all-time total.

during his senior year, the 1978-79 season, Cheese averaged 22.2 points per game.

he was one of the most popular athletes in WSU history.

played part of one season with the NBAšs Golden State Warriors. Inducted, 1986.

AviatorX
06-10-2009, 09:40 AM
Hopefully this wonderful weather won't effect Noel and Cheese's view of the campus and the indoor facilities of the Cintas can make their impression.

Who was it the used to do the "Come to Xavier, Come to Xavier, Come to Xavier" magic on these boards?

Lamont Sanford
06-10-2009, 11:41 AM
Any Noel Johnson sightings on campus yet?

Inquiring fans want to know.

BlueX
06-10-2009, 05:41 PM
http://www.ajc.com/services/content/sports/stories/2009/06/10/noel_johnson_recruiting.html

Article about the schools Noel is considering.

Lamont Sanford
06-11-2009, 08:39 AM
Again, any Noel Johnson sightings on campus as of yet? I read yesterday that he was now due in today (Thursday)...any updates?

GoMuskies
06-11-2009, 08:53 AM
Noel didn't make the visit.

AviatorX
06-11-2009, 08:59 AM
IMO, something has to be up here. For X to decide he wasn't a good fit at the last minute, I don't know, it just sounds a little fishy.

Titanxman04
06-11-2009, 09:00 AM
Noel didn't make the visit.

How do you know? Why didn't he come?

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-11-2009, 09:11 AM
i knew he didn't come, but it was on x's end?? x said he wasn't a good fit? he's ranked #52. I dont understand. we must have something in the pipeline if we can afford to just flat out turn down a tremendous recruit

ballyhoohoo
06-11-2009, 09:19 AM
i knew he didn't come, but it was on x's end?? x said he wasn't a good fit? he's ranked #52. I dont understand. we must have something in the pipeline if we can afford to just flat out turn down a tremendous recruit

One more year of Brown D-Bagging the A-10?

AviatorX
06-11-2009, 09:22 AM
One more year of Brown D-Bagging the A-10?

I thought he had hired an agent? Either way, that's just wishful thinking.

boozehound
06-11-2009, 09:23 AM

Maybe the reason why we didn't think that he was a good fit had nothing to do with his playing ability? There could be other issues there, either academic or behavioral. I don't know anything, I am just speculating.

AviatorX
06-11-2009, 09:27 AM
Maybe the reason why we didn't think that he was a good fit had nothing to do with his playing ability? There could be other issues there, either academic or behavioral. I don't know anything, I am just speculating.

I had the same thought. Especially with him just de-committing from the sinking ship at USC. I'm sure we'll find out what actually happened eventually, but there HAD to be a clear reason for XU to decide that even a visit wasn't a good idea.

Titanxman04
06-11-2009, 09:30 AM
So Noel wasn't even invited by X? This is odd. I am sure we would all like to know whats going on here.

AviatorX
06-11-2009, 09:32 AM
So Noel wasn't even invited by X? This is odd. I am sure we would all like to know whats going on here.

From what I can understand, the visit was all set up and whatnot, and then X canceled. Those are the only facts we know so far.

Why that happened is the mystery.

Xman95
06-11-2009, 09:33 AM
This definitely gets thrown into the "SPECULATION" category, but is it possible that he's part of the reason for that sinking ship? Obviously it seems more and more holes keep appearing as USC continues to take on water. Maybe Johnson is one of those that people are just finding out about.

Again, I'm just throwing that out there. I have nothing as proof, nor have I read/seen anything that points to that. But, with the way Floyd ran things at USC, I think it's something that's worth putting out there.

As for D.Brown returning...I don't think so. Plus, even if he did, the 'ships would have been there to add Johnson anyway. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what shakes out.

Xman95
06-11-2009, 11:35 AM
Anybody hearing anything more on why they decided to cancel Johnson's visit?

StanleyOwnsYou
06-11-2009, 12:07 PM
Snow's not saying anything on Musketeer Scoop so I don't know who would actually know outside the program

PMI
06-11-2009, 12:14 PM
Very strange. Clearly they know something we don't and I trust the people in our program have a VERY good reason to cut ties with such a talented recruit. My total guess would be that the kid has some baggage, possibly USC-tied, that would make him a liability to us. If so, good judgment on Mack and staff's part. But damn, I really wanted an incoming freshman on next year's team, particularly one that talented.

Masterofreality
06-11-2009, 12:16 PM
Anybody hearing anything more on why they decided to cancel Johnson's visit?

Maybe because 'Spoon is coming for sure? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm? ;)

Nah, I don't know. Just speculatin'.

Xman95
06-11-2009, 12:28 PM
Maybe because 'Spoon is coming for sure?

MOR, you REALLY want 'spoon at X, don't you?

MuskieCinci
06-11-2009, 12:30 PM
I guess he just didn't quite fit into what Xavier was looking for. I think he was looking to be more of a backcourt player and Xavier doesn't need any of those right now. They were probably convinced that he wasn't going to develop into a more post oriented small forward like CJ and this team doesn't really need another backcourt player. Maybe they thought someone on the current team might transfer or something if they brought Noel in to compete for playing time at the 2 and 3 positions. I don't think it is really an academics or he has a bad attitude or anything. I just think he and his dad have a plan to get to the NBA and they think it will be with him as more of a big shooting guard and that isn't what Xavier is looking for.

Xman95
06-11-2009, 12:41 PM
I guess he just didn't quite fit into what Xavier was looking for. I think he was looking to be more of a backcourt player and Xavier doesn't need any of those right now. They were probably convinced that he wasn't going to develop into a more post oriented small forward like CJ and this team doesn't really need another backcourt player. Maybe they thought someone on the current team might transfer or something if they brought Noel in to compete for playing time at the 2 and 3 positions. I don't think it is really an academics or he has a bad attitude or anything. I just think he and his dad have a plan to get to the NBA and they think it will be with him as more of a big shooting guard and that isn't what Xavier is looking for.

Not to argue, but I don't think that's it. All of that stuff could have been figured out well before setting up a visit. Kelsey was apparently familiar with him from when he was recruiting at Wake. I'm sure everyone was aware that this kid saw himself as more of a perimeter player. Heck, I watched a few minutes of YouTube and could tell you he really didn't seem like someone who wanted to play in the post.

It seems to me that there was something not related to this kid's game that X found out about over the last couple days. No idea what that is, but it was apparently enough for them to back off. Of course, I could be wrong.

Titanxman04
06-11-2009, 12:41 PM

Is that actual information or simply pondering? And if that were the case, why wouldn't X still want him to visit. Maybe work him into the team mentality or something? I think there's something else, but I am curious if what you say is factual or not (Not calling you a liar, just wondering if it's truth or speculation, ya know?).

JimmyTwoTimes37
06-11-2009, 12:56 PM
I dont know why it was cancelled, but i'm sure it has to be a good reason to let an extremely talented recruit like that just walk away. knowing it was a long shot to begin with i'm not disappointed. just shocked we didn't even try. but then again, i trust mack made the right decision.

Lets hope things do not go as far downhill with Martin and some others

xu15
06-11-2009, 01:39 PM
MOR, you REALLY want 'spoon at X, don't you?

Why wouldn't he? Spoon is a beast. He has some real potential.

MuskieCinci
06-11-2009, 02:51 PM
That is just a guess by me. He is a perimeter player it seems like and we are pretty crowded there. Maybe some guys on the team felt like they were being recruited over and would have transferred or something and Mack and the coaches wanted to keep stability. I'm just throwing out some guesses since no one knows what really went down.

bobbiemcgee
06-11-2009, 04:53 PM
Noel who? We got Latham!!!!!!!!

Cincy Muskie
06-11-2009, 07:04 PM
Is J-Mart near a decision? Perhaps that is why the staff backed away from Johnson.

AviatorX
06-11-2009, 07:10 PM
Is J-Mart near a decision? Perhaps that is why the staff backed away from Johnson.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Martin was going to take his time, so I doubt it.

principal
06-11-2009, 10:32 PM

Titanxman04, pretty sure MuskieCinci made it clear this was his speculation.

Cincy Muskie
06-12-2009, 06:22 AM
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Martin was going to take his time, so I doubt it.

I am not so sure he is going to take all that much time making a decision.

ballyhoohoo
06-12-2009, 06:58 AM

I woudl speculate he makes his decision before the school year starts. Something I found interesting was I did not see him listed as a Junior All-Star in Indiana when the Seniors and Juniors played the other night. I know the class of 2010 in Indiana is loaded, but you think a top 75 forward would make the team.

Can anyone in Nap-Town shed some light?

Titanxman04
06-12-2009, 09:55 AM
Titanxman04, pretty sure MuskieCinci made it clear this was his speculation.

Always some school figure handing it to me on my reading comprehension. Smart ass. :D

principal
06-12-2009, 04:24 PM
Always some school figure handing it to me on my reading comprehension. Smart ass. :D

Just making up for all of my past failures and insecurities by anonymously posting on a message board.

Titanxman04
06-12-2009, 10:44 PM
Just making up for all of my past failures and insecurities by anonymously posting on a message board.

Hey, who doesn't? Can't blame you for that.

???
06-14-2009, 09:57 AM

JD Weatherspoon
Doron Lamb
Will Barton
Adrien Payne
Justin Martin
Jamil Jones
Jalen Kendrick
Jason Morris

Transfer- Noel Johnson.

So far it looks like I received good information. Weatherspoon could be a possibility again and the fact that OSU is wanting a decision very soon, is a good thing for XU. Hopefully I was wrong about him, the feeling was not positive when I posted this and things have changed with him. The rest is accurate unless something crazy happens.

xnatic03
06-14-2009, 12:12 PM
???, you've had 7 posts and you post under a moniker as 3 question marks. Unless you're Brian Snow or a member of the team (or coaching staff), you've got absolutely zero credibility here. I always find it interesting that some new poster, posting under a questionable name, always seems to claim to have "inside information". You're patting yourself on the back so much I was starting to wonder if it was hurting yet.

AviatorX
06-14-2009, 12:20 PM
So far it looks like I received good information. Weatherspoon could be a possibility again and the fact that OSU is wanting a decision very soon, is a good thing for XU. Hopefully I was wrong about him, the feeling was not positive when I posted this and things have changed with him. The rest is accurate unless something crazy happens.

The only things you got right were the two most obvious ones that nearly everyone expected.

I'm surprised you didn't brag when Barton verballed to Memphis, oh wait, you posted that list after he did.

???
06-14-2009, 03:47 PM
The only things you got right were the two most obvious ones that nearly everyone expected.

I'm surprised you didn't brag when Barton verballed to Memphis, oh wait, you posted that list after he did.
My list was posted before Barton committed to Memphis. Noel Johnson not coming did not seem that obvious to anyone on here, he didn't even visit. I just posted a list of things regarding recruits that the XU fans might want to know about. I will not do it again.

There is nothing to post now anyway. I already did it and it is good information. There were 3 names on the list that were considering XU at one time. Latham, Johnson and Weatherspoon. I posted what I was told regarding all of the names that XU fans seem to have been talking about recently.

I really was not trying to piss anyone off.

Xman95
06-14-2009, 03:50 PM
My list was posted before Barton committed to Memphis. Noel Johnson not coming did not seem that obvious to anyone on here, he didn't even visit. I just posted a list of things regarding recruits that the XU fans might want to know about. I will not do it again.

There is nothing to post now anyway. I already did it and it is good information. There were 3 names on the list that were considering XU at one time. Latham, Johnson and Weatherspoon. I posted what I was told regarding all of the names that XU fans seem to have been talking about recently.

Got any info on why the Johnson visit got called off?

AviatorX
06-14-2009, 04:02 PM

Any realistic, intelligent, or in the know fan (such as yourself) knew that Johnson wasn't too much of a possibility. Lamb and all the NY guys were connected to Book. Again, any somewhat intelligent fan knew that wasn't going to happen.

To say there is not a shot at any of the GA recruits is pretty stupid, IMO. If your "inside source" knows that we won't get them, why is the staff still working hard to get them, seemingly?

All I'm saying is it doesn't take someone with a great source to come on here and say that Latham was a decent chance to recommit, Johnson wasn't going to come to X, and that Spoon is down to OSU and X.

kdawg23
06-14-2009, 04:31 PM
Looking at his list, I would feel comfortable saying none of them, besides the possibility of Weatherspoon, are coming to X. Just a general feeling with no inside sources.

???
06-14-2009, 04:34 PM
Got any info on why the Johnson visit got called off?

No, I don't. I know(as many people do) that Kelsey was the reason he was going to visit. Not sure if the staff decided against it or Johnson's party. I do know that this past Tuesday I was told that Johnson and Lamont Jones were considering visiting Arizona, and that it came out of nowhere. Not sure if it happened or if it was made public. Apparently it was originally thought that USC would not release these guys to a Pac-10 school, but given the circumstances, they might have no choice.

Masterofreality
06-14-2009, 08:48 PM
WTF?

Is every single recruit that has an interest in Xavier, or vice versa, all of a sudden becomes a target for Arizona?

X-man
06-15-2009, 06:49 AM
Nah; Sean would never ever go after our recruits. He said so when he bolted, and I believe everything he says.

X Factor
06-15-2009, 09:36 PM
There is an article on Rivals about Johnson. Apparently, now he's going to visit Clemson in the next couple of days and then LSU. After that, he will decide between UNLV, Clemson, LSU, and Florida International.

Here is one sentence from the article that probably explains why Xavier decided to cancel the visit.

The 6-foot-7, 200-pounder said he's being recruited to mostly play the two by his remaining contenders, but could play some three or one, too.

Looks like he wants to play in the backcourt, and obviously we need help in the frontcourt at the 3/4 positions. He probably didn't like that idea and neither did Xavier.

AviatorX
06-15-2009, 09:41 PM
There is an article on Rivals about Johnson. Apparently, now he's going to visit Clemson in the next couple of days and then LSU. After that, he will decide between UNLV, Clemson, LSU, and Florida International.

Here is one sentence from the article that probably explains why Xavier decided to cancel the visit.

The 6-foot-7, 200-pounder said he's being recruited to mostly play the two by his remaining contenders, but could play some three or one, too.

Looks like he wants to play in the backcourt, and obviously we need help in the frontcourt at the 3/4 positions. He probably didn't like that idea and neither did Xavier.

Yeah, and by XU canceling the visit before it even started, I'm also led to believe that Noel and Cheese were pretty particular in what they wanted, with this position business being just one of those demands. Seemingly doesn't fit with the Xavier philosophy.

ChrisFarley
06-19-2009, 10:37 AM
Johnson's down to 2...XU can go after someone else...would've been nice to have him for depth..

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20090618/PSPORTS02/906189939/1002/SPORTS04?Title=Johnson-down-to-final-two

doubleXman
06-19-2009, 10:58 AM
He must only like Tiger mascots.

kyxu
06-19-2009, 11:43 AM
Johnson's down to 2...XU can go after someone else...would've been nice to have him for depth..

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20090618/PSPORTS02/906189939/1002/SPORTS04?Title=Johnson-down-to-final-two

What??? You mean....Charlotte didn't make the cut???

THRILLHOUSE
06-19-2009, 07:03 PM
he is going to Clemson

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/873676.html