PDA

View Full Version : The Battle of Ohio: Baseball Edition

Jesuit4Life
05-22-2009, 05:25 PM
Well, with a season that has been as dismal as this one for the Tribe, one of the few things left to really get me excited is interleague play, including the now annual regular season series between our two clubs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio_Cup). I don't think it could go any worse for my Indians than last year's result, a 5-1 series win by the Reds. (But then again, they've reached new lows this year, so a series sweep is not out of the question.) Most would probably not notice up here since the Cavs are still playing.

Whatever our differences, and whatever is the result, let's agree on one thing - Indians fans and Reds fans - we both HATE those teams from Chicago. F 'em.

Schedule/Pitching Probables (http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/news/probable_pitchers.jsp?c_id=cle):
@ Cincinnati:
May 22, 7:10 - Reyes, Arroyo - CIN wins 3-1 (http://mlb.mlb.com/search/media.jsp?game_pk=244820)
May 23, 7:10 - Huff, Bailey - CLE wins 7-6 (http://mlb.mlb.com/search/media.jsp?game_pk=244835)
May 24, 1:10 - Lee, Cueto

@ Cleveland:
June 26, 7:05 - TBA
June 27, 7:05 - TBA
June 28, 1:05 - TBA

Jesuit4Life
05-24-2009, 01:05 AM
No replies? I thought you guys in Cincinnati liked baseball? My mistake. (Yes, I'm calling the Reds fans out.)

Well, how do you guys feel about interleague play? I like it, but definitely more-so when we're faced up against NL teams that I'm excited about. I actually like the series against the NL Central more than the East, and certainly more than the West. Unlike some Tribe fans though, it's the matchups against the NL teams and getting to see our team play in great ballparks like yours that interests me more than seeing a pitcher bat. Though I've got nothing against playing by NL rules.

It was great to see Votto return for the Reds, and he really pounded Huff for 2 HRs. I was hoping that Martinez would continue his assault in Cincinnati, but he's now dipped below .400 (just awful, huh?). And I was expecting more vitriol in regards to DeRosa and Wood, being former Cubs and all - but I guess that's in the past now. I'm glad that we were able to split the first two (read: I'm glad any time these days the Indians can scrap together a win), and Sunday's game with Lee vs. Cueto has definitely got me pumped.

THRILLHOUSE
05-24-2009, 02:28 PM
the 3rd base umpire might have just made the worst call I have ever seen. Sizemore was going home on a throwing error but was gunned down at the plate, but the 3rd base umpire said Rosales interfered so Cleveland gets the tying run. Rosales back was to Grady and he never touched him. Atrocious call.

GoMuskies
05-24-2009, 04:18 PM
Round 1 to the Reds.

gladdenguy
05-24-2009, 04:31 PM
Should have been a sweep.

vee4xu
05-24-2009, 05:46 PM
Should have been a sweep.

Agree gg. The Tribe should have won all three. :)

I was there Saturday night. It was my first trip to GABP.

gladdenguy
05-24-2009, 06:08 PM

I had a feeling you'd be posting shortly after my comment.
How did you like GABP? Nothing special in my opinion.

MuskieCinci
05-24-2009, 06:27 PM
I was down there at the game today, good game but it definitely should have been won in 9 by the Reds. The atmosphere wasn't as great with fan favorites Joey Votto and Brandon Philips both out of the lineup. I was right by the dollar concession stand and it is a very good value for the $1 hot dogs and peanuts and other items. Overall a good exeperience today and I will probably be back for a few more games this year.

vee4xu
05-24-2009, 08:16 PM

I like the park/field itself, but the entertainment and food is too removed. For example The Jake (I still call it that) and PNC Park in Pittsburgh have sightlines to the game from the food and drink areas. I also wish they would have built that park so that you look into the city from behind home plate.

gladdenguy
05-24-2009, 08:20 PM
I like the park/field itself, but the entertainment and food is too removed. For example The Jake (I still call it that) and PNC Park in Pittsburgh have sightlines to the game from the food and drink areas. I also wish they would have built that park so that you look into the city from behind home plate.

I agree totally.

X-band '01
05-28-2009, 11:53 AM

Where were you sitting? I went with my brother-in-law and nephew to the park; unfortunately for them, their first trip to GABP was the one the Reds lost.

In the meantime, it's good to see the Big Road Machine back in action.

XU 87
05-28-2009, 12:00 PM

Agree.

I've never been to Jacobs field but PNC Park in Pittsburgh is way better than GAB.

The other problem with GAB is other than two bars, there is nothing nearby. If they ever get the Banks completed, maybe that will change. But for now, most of the time you go to the game and then leave.

In Pittsburgh, you have bars right across the street from the stadium. But I've been told that my favorite bar, High Tops, closed down. The criteria to work at High Tops was to be young, female, good looking and breast implants.

GoMuskies
06-28-2009, 01:19 PM
I wish the Reds got to play the Tribe more. They suck.

Masterofreality
06-28-2009, 07:02 PM
The Tribe does suck- top to bottom.

The state of what Larry (No) Dough-lan has wrought is now in full view. As a former season ticket holder for the Indians, who dropped those tickets the moment that (No)Dough-lan refused to pay Jim Thome an extra year guaranteed, this is a revolting development. The credibility of this organization is at zero right about now.

The facts are that the Indians cheaped out on their scouting system as soon as (No)Dough-lan bought the team. They tried to rely on "cybermetrics" and video/satellite scouting rather than having professional, experienced eyeballs to rate players for draft picks and as possible trade subjects. The bottom line is that the only First Round draft pick that is on this roster from (No) Dough-lan's regime is the nondescript Jeremy Sowers. There are also precious few other players from any draft round on this roster- only Garko, Francisco and Laffey of note. Victor Martinez and Jhonny Peralta were Jacobs draft picks. Guys like Sizemore, Hafner, Cabrera, Cliff Lee and Choo all came via trades.

(No) Dough-lan's drafting minions- yes, that includes Mark Shapiro- have picked over 50 pitchers since 2000- and only Jeremy Guthrie, Jeremy Sowers, Jensen Lewis and Tony Sipp are now in the big leagues. That is not an impressive record.

Eric Wedge has always been a questionable manager, but now there is no talent- and there is no help in the minors. Wedge won't be fired because (No) Dough-lan doesn't want to pay extra for another manager while Wedge still has another year on his contract.

The differences in team ownership in this town is stark- Dan Gilbert doesn't think small, or small market. He goes out and gets Shaq and the streak of sellouts of 20,562 will continue- and maybe a championship. Meanwhile, small thinking (No) Dough-lan still says small market, with the tiny results.