PDA

View Full Version : Tevin Baskin (Offer)

Muskie
08-11-2007, 01:50 PM
Position: SF
High School: Trinity High School
Home Town: Stamford Connecticut
Number: TBD
Height: 6'6
Weight: 185

Offers:
Xavier, Auburn, Umass, Rhode Island, Rutgers, Seton Hall, St. John's, Seton Hall, Virginia Tech, Fairfield

Others Interested:
Arizona, Clemson, Uconn, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Providence, USC, Virginia, West Virginia

xufan02
08-22-2007, 07:10 PM
I saw a video on youtube on this kid. He has hops but not to sure if he has game. Anyone know how good he is? Also I think he has a connection to our new assistant coach Book.

Muskie
08-22-2007, 07:46 PM
I've seen some video of him on Youtube as well, and he definitely has a connection to Book. Baskin plays for the New York Gauchos,an AAU team coached by Book. It's too early to tell if their previous relationship will pay dividends for X.

Cheesehead
03-03-2008, 08:49 PM
Happened to be flipping around this weekend and caught some regional Fox Sports channel that had Baskins's team in the state finals. He played well (double figures) and had a dunk at the buzzer to seal the deal. The announcers mentioned that X was looking at him during the game. Looks like he has a lot of raw potential.

MADXSTER
04-15-2008, 05:48 PM
Some items recently written about Tevin. I'd love to get Ari and Tevin.

Tevin Baskin - If this kid isn't an elite guy, then I must be blind! The NY Gauchos wing stands 6-7 and is built like a strong safety. He attacked the basket with a vengeance and played with what seemed like anger. He was assertive, very aggressive and strong. He never seemed to tire -- played hard on BOTH ends of the floor and made some incredibly athletic and ferocious plays at the rim. His stock is rising fast for college coaches that need a fierce forward who thrives in transition.

SF, 6-6, 185
With similar athleticism as Hall, Baskin is a high-motor player who excels around the basket. He is quick off his feet and has a nose for the ball.
Baskin didn't get a ton of touches in the guard-oriented Gauchos' attack, but he efficiently got the ball in the basket when he had the opportunity. And you can always count on a number of defensive plays off of his hustle and athleticism.

Tevin Baskin of the New York Gauchos appeared to run out of steam against Boo Williams Saturday night, but he was a terror to opponents in pool play. With one of the best motors in the class, Baskins is constantly attacking the glass for rebounds, attacking the rim with the basketball and making defensive plays with his athletic hustle.

Tevin Baskin from the New York Gauchos looks great physically and played with great aggression against Karron Johnson.

Xman95
04-16-2008, 01:08 AM
Sounds like C.J. Anderson with D. I get the impression Baskin also lacks the ability to hit a jumper, something that would make Anderson nearly unguardable. Of course Baskin is still young and could develop that mid-range jumper if he doesn't have it yet (he may, just hasn't had the need to use it).

xufan02
05-08-2008, 09:05 PM
I'm of the opinion that Tevin needs to be our #1 target. He has everything that we need at the small forward position. He is a great slasher, freak athlete, great rebounder, and has a high end motor. Of all the kids that Book is recruiting I think Baskin would fill a significant need with BJ/CJ and perhaps Derrick leaving after next season. I want this guy and think he will be a better prospect than Ari Stewart when its all said and done.

Here is the latest from the highlight reel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgaEbDIlevM

ford
05-08-2008, 09:56 PM
CJ can't dunk like that! Damn that kid is athletic, and his jumper looks pretty good too. I can see what they mean about his motor, looks like everyone else was playing in slow motion.

Juice
05-08-2008, 10:24 PM
He is quick for his size and jumps damn high. His shot is pretty good as well.
Not to change the subject off of Tevin, but does anyone know what the song in the youtube clip is from?

XtremeXfan
05-08-2008, 10:42 PM
Let's just land both Stewart and Baskin.

Firehose
05-08-2008, 10:50 PM
Not to change the subject off of Tevin, but does anyone know what the song in the youtube clip is from?

I've been racking my itunes for it - the thing of it is, I'm pretty sure it's a black metal song which seems a strange choice for a basketball highlights video.

MADXSTER
05-09-2008, 08:19 AM
Looks like a smaller version of D Brown. And that's a good thing.

Muskie
05-09-2008, 10:01 PM
updated to reflect offers from X and others.

MHettel
05-10-2008, 12:43 AM
Thats a 3 right there. Quick enough to gaurd the perimeter, and is a slasher offensively.

That guy is exactly what we need in next years class. I think Ari Stewart sounds like a great option there too. I'd be happy with either, but not sure we need both.

I think a big PF would be our #2 priority.

I think we're set at the #2 for a while, with Graves, Dante, Cheeks and Redford all being options there.

PG feels locked up for a while also, with Cheeks and Holloway.

We're stacked at C for a while, but PF and SF is where we need to get some more depth in the pipeline. CJ and BJ are both gone after this year. That leaves a nice hole at the 3.

Gotta focus on 3/4 for the 2009 class. Thats why I was a bit surprised when we were down to the final 2 for Naji Hibbert.

kyxu
05-10-2008, 09:08 AM
Thats a 3 right there. Quick enough to gaurd the perimeter, and is a slasher offensively.

That guy is exactly what we need in next years class. I think Ari Stewart sounds like a great option there too. I'd be happy with either, but not sure we need both.

I think a big PF would be our #2 priority.

I think we're set at the #2 for a while, with Graves, Dante, Cheeks and Redford all being options there.

PG feels locked up for a while also, with Cheeks and Holloway.

We're stacked at C for a while, but PF and SF is where we need to get some more depth in the pipeline. CJ and BJ are both gone after this year. That leaves a nice hole at the 3.

Gotta focus on 3/4 for the 2009 class. Thats why I was a bit surprised when we were down to the final 2 for Naji Hibbert.

Nice post.

Both Baskin and Stewart are the quintessential "3"s that we're after, but as mentioned before, I don't think the staff would only take one or the other. I think if both wanted to come to Xavier, they'd take them both, call it a day and wouldn't be mad about it.

Retire33
05-13-2008, 01:36 AM
I've been racking my itunes for it - the thing of it is, I'm pretty sure it's a black metal song which seems a strange choice for a basketball highlights video.

The song from the Youtube Video is "Requiem for a Dream" its part of the movie score of the flm by the same name. A real good flick too.

MADXSTER
05-13-2008, 09:23 AM
- Naji could play the 3 at 6'6". Unfortunately he's going to no mans land. Must have been a good sell because I just don't get it.

- My thinking is that with BJ/CJ graduating and leaving a gaping hole at the 3, we need to fill those two spots with 3's as well. If issues come up due to grades, practice work ethic, etc. I would prefer to have another 3 than to go to a makeshift offense or defense.

XU 87
05-13-2008, 09:46 AM
From what I've read, Baskin should be classified as the "recruit most likely to come to Xavier."

Xman95
05-14-2008, 01:31 AM
My thinking is that with BJ/CJ graduating and leaving a gaping hole at the 3, we need to fill those two spots with 3's as well. If issues come up due to grades, practice work ethic, etc. I would prefer to have another 3 than to go to a makeshift offense or defense.

I think you'll see Walsh at the SF spot, with Dante possibly getting some time there as well. So they don't necessarily need to get two SF in the '09 class, but one is almost mandatory.

MADXSTER
05-14-2008, 11:01 AM
Xman,

I just don't see Walsh being big and strong enough at this point. When looking at BJ and CJ I just can't see Walsh guarding them. Could he play there...yes. Could he play there effectively...physically I just don't see it....Maybe after a good year of lifting weights.

Plus with only 1 pure SF there would be a lack of competition thus a lack of pushing each other to be the best.

xuphan
06-26-2008, 02:00 PM
Clemson and Rutgers are at the top of his list per scouts

Muskie
07-05-2008, 07:39 PM
Baskin has trimmed his list to Four
Link (http://www.zagsblog.net/Auburn,%20Seton%20Hall,%20Xavier%20and%20new%20nem esis,%20Virginia%20Tech.)

"Seton Hall, Xavier, Auburn and Virginia"

KC4X
07-06-2008, 01:58 AM
Try this link:

Baskin’s List Includes Seton Hall (http://www.zagsblog.net/2008/07/05/baskins-list-includes-seton-hall/)

The link from this page ("The Auburn Villager") which Muskie posted is no longer there.

MADXSTER
08-18-2008, 11:47 PM
http://www.zagsblog.net/2008/08/18/tevin-baskin-trims-list/#more-2168

The 6-foot-7, 205-pound Baskin plans to visit Providence, Rutgers, Xavier, Auburn, St. John’s and UMass.

“Those are six schools that I’m definitely going to visit because I*have interest in them,” Baskin said Monday by phone. “

“I’m going to end up visiting UMass again.*I know I’m definitely going to go to Providence, along with St. john’s,*Xavier and Rutgers. Those are some*of the schools that*I definitely plan on visiting.”

MADXSTER
09-16-2008, 09:25 PM
http://www.zagsblog.net/2008/09/16/tevin-baskin-to-visit-umass-providence/#more-3706

Tevin Baskin has a couple of visits set and is working on a few more

“I have two visits that I’m definitely taking, to UMass on Oct. 11 and to Providence on Oct. 17,” said Baskin a 6-foot-7 senior forward from Trinity (Conn.) Catholic.

Baskin said he also plans to reschedule visits to Xavier and Auburn.

He said he hasn’t heard from any other Big East schools besides Providence.
“I haven’t heard from Rutgers and St. John’s, or any of the Big East schools really,” he said. “I have no favorite. Schools are still coming in.”

Last season, Baskin averaged 20.4 points, 8.0 rebounds and 3.1 blocks for Trinity Catholic, which finished 24-4 and lost to Crosby, 82-79, in the state championship game despite 35 points and 12 rebounds from Baskin.

This summer, Baskin averaged about 15 points and eight rebounds for the New York Gauchos. They captured two tournaments in New York and made the final of the national AAU 17-and-under championship, losing to Team Breakdown of Florida, 77-60.

waggy
09-16-2008, 10:27 PM
Tevin hasn't been getting the same love as he did last year because his numbers were down a little, but he is extremely athletic. I get the impression he is a sleeper in this class, if that's possible for someone still ranked in the top 150.

MHettel
09-16-2008, 11:17 PM
Now that Parrom is on board, I would think we'd need a PF to fill out this class.

MADXSTER
09-17-2008, 08:17 AM
I don't know if it's attitude, grades or what, but it seems alot of schools have cooled off on him.

XU-PA
03-16-2009, 05:44 AM
Listed as a 6'7" Forward from Trinity Catholic in Connecticut. He's on the New England All Star Challenge Roster in Springfield Mass coming up this weekend. Being in thsi game makes him a senior,

The roster says he's undecided but lists Xavier and UMass has schools he's considering.
Never seen him, heard of him, anyone?

DC Muskie
03-16-2009, 08:51 AM
I believe we stopped recruiting him a long time ago.

kyxu
03-16-2009, 09:01 AM
I believe we stopped recruiting him a long time ago.

Yep, DC's right. We were heavily recruiting him, but then he didn't necessarily develop as Xavier had hoped, so they stopped probably over a year ago. He'll catch on somewhere though and probably do well.

Xman95
04-19-2009, 10:21 PM
Any word on this kid? I saw something that makes me think that Providence might wind up being the school, but it doesn't look like he has done anything official.

Would he still be worth an offer? I get the impression he has a Posey-type body and owns freakish athleticism. Still raw but can contribute on the defensive end. Could he be a guy to give a scholarship to and then use his freshman year to develop him so he can contribute at the PF spot as a sophomore?

Xman95
04-27-2009, 01:32 PM
Bumping to see if anyone has any info on why this kid has dropped off the map. He's still not signed.

MADXSTER
04-27-2009, 01:50 PM
Seems he's dropped off the map for everyone. Could be grades, attitude, etc.

Runningman
06-03-2009, 03:00 PM
Upon searching for news on Jake O'Brien I came across this tid bit. Baskin did indeed fall off the face of the Earth and then landed in Quinnipiac.

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/goodmanonfox/2009/05/27/OBRIEN_TO_VISIT_ST_JOES_QUINNIPIAC_GETS_BIGTIME_RE CRUIT

Very strange scenerio here. Baskin's play did not diminsh over the past year but somehow he narrowed his list down from Xavier, St. Johns, Auburn, V Tech, Providence to Binghamton, Manhattan, New Orleans and ultimately Quinnipiac. I can't find a reason why but my guess would be attitude, grades, etc.

boozehound
06-03-2009, 03:12 PM
Wow. That certainly is quite a drop off. That's gotta hurt.

Xman95
06-03-2009, 04:30 PM
Didn't Quinnipiacianiacacacac make the tournament about 4 or 5 years ago? (Could be more, could be less...but I think they actually got into the Dance.)

FYI - I looked but couldn't find anything on it.

AviatorX
06-03-2009, 04:31 PM
Didn't Quinnipiacianiacacacac make the tournament about 4 or 5 years ago? (Could be more, could be less...but I think they actually got into the Dance.)

Sounds like a play in game school to me.

Xman95
06-03-2009, 04:56 PM
Sounds like a play in game school to me.

True. But for some schools that's HUGE.

Sometimes I think we forget just how lucky we are to have such a great program at X (this isn't directed at you AvX, just a general statement). We're at a point where we pretty much take it for granted that we'll at least be in the tournament, if not going a few games deep. Not many can actually feel that way.

xuhoops1015
11-16-2009, 02:01 PM
This kid was from town over from me. Absolutley incredible, played for a high school powerhouse dynasty that had Dave McClure from Duke and Craig Austrie from UConn. I heard attitude was a huge problem. Rumor has it that Providence coach came to visit him and left after pre game warm ups in disgust...Quinnipiac is very close to his hometown, so maybe he will transfer to a school like X after his freshman year of dominating his conference.

This case seems extremely similar as CJ's, as he dominated the MAAC at Manhattan, a very similarly competitive team as Quinnipiac.

A10fan
11-16-2009, 03:01 PM
This kid was from town over from me. Absolutley incredible, played for a high school powerhouse dynasty that had Dave McClure from Duke and Craig Austrie from UConn. I heard attitude was a huge problem. Rumor has it that Providence coach came to visit him and left after pre game warm ups in disgust...Quinnipiac is very close to his hometown, so maybe he will transfer to a school like X after his freshman year of dominating his conference.

This case seems extremely similar as CJ's, as he dominated the MAAC at Manhattan, a very similarly competitive team as Quinnipiac.

Gonna be tough to dominate when he isn't even on the roster.

xuhoops1015
11-22-2009, 04:09 PM
Gonna be tough to dominate when he isn't even on the roster.

Should've made it clearer. Right now he's academically inelegible.

AviatorX
11-22-2009, 04:14 PM
X will not touch this dude. Not a chance.

BandAid
11-22-2009, 07:10 PM
I currently coach Quinnipiac in the Legacy Mode of the new NCAA Basketball 10 game (Chris Mack hasn't retired from Xavier yet), and I would welcome Baskin in with open arms.