PDA

View Full Version : BU Frosh transfer(?) coming to XU for visit

LutherRackleyRulez
05-18-2009, 03:37 PM
Per Jeff Goodman/Fox Sports.com

Good and Plenty Blog.....

Boston University forward Jake O’Brien told me he is heading to Xavier for a visit early this week and is also considering Butler.

The America East Freshman of the Year hasn’t ruled out returning to BU and playing for new coach Pat Chambers, either.

LutherRackleyRulez
05-18-2009, 03:40 PM
Per ESPN.com....

Mr. O'Brien's 2008-2009 stat page......

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=41473

golfitup
05-18-2009, 03:48 PM
I'd never heard of CJ or Jamel before their arrival and they turned out pretty well methinks.

sirthought
05-18-2009, 05:10 PM
The guy weighs only 205. I know he's just a freshman, but that seems about 30 pounds too light to be a PF for Xavier.

I'm sure he's worth a look, but somehow I don't have a good feeling about it.
The good news is that he'd have a full year to eat all the Skyline and LaRosa's he wants, beef up, all while learning Coach Mack's system.

kxblue
05-18-2009, 10:34 PM
I don't really like it, but he obviously could develop. He looks like a Doellman type player to me. My concern wouldn't be on the offensive end, but on the defensive side of the ball.

He had some interesting games. He played back-to-back games of 56 and 47 minutes.

AviatorX
05-18-2009, 10:39 PM
How does he remind you of Doellman, other than skin color?

Just curious.

Trust the staff, he would NOT be getting a look if he wasn't capable of making the adjustments to go to war for XU.

boozehound
05-19-2009, 06:07 AM
How does he remind you of Doellman, other than skin color?

Just curious.

Trust the staff, he would NOT be getting a look if he wasn't capable of making the adjustments to go to war for XU.

I would assume because he is touted as a lean 6'8" PF who isn't terribly athletic but can shoot the three and has a good basketball IQ.

Cincy Muskie
05-19-2009, 06:14 AM
Joe Trapani left Vermont a couple of seasons ago after winning Freshmen of the Year from the America East. He landed in the ACC for Boston College this past season and scored over 13 points a game. Point? Jake O'Brien is every bit as skilled as Trapani and would be a contributor for the Musketeers much like Anderson and McLean as transfer players.

We need some good news and something to get excited about on the recruiting front. It seems like forever since we had anything to celebrate in that regard.

Masterofreality
05-19-2009, 07:23 AM
The guy weighs only 205. I know he's just a freshman, but that seems about 30 pounds too light to be a PF for Xavier.

Uh, Derrick Brown was listed as 6:7, 207 as a freshman at XU and was also listed as a Power Forward. DBrown is still listed as a Power Forward, but shoots the 3 and isn't as comfortable down low as out, although athletic.

Point, D is not the prototypical PF, now, and certainly was not as a frosh.

Pete Delkus
05-19-2009, 07:37 AM
Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gJNXNYQZ_g&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG4lA1DPyaU

MHettel
05-19-2009, 10:58 AM
Over half his shot attemps were 3's. And he got to the line less than 3 times per game.

Not much of a rebounder. 9 games with 0 offensive boards. 10 games with 1.

Not much of a passer either. For a guy that seems to be on the perimeter, he should have more than .8 assists per game. Think about that almost 35 minutes a night, mostly on the peremiter, and he gets less than 1 assist. 11 games with zero. 15 games with 1.

Definitely more of an outside style big guy. Maybe even more so than Doellman.

That said, getting 35 minutes a night while having some big holes in his game means he's doing somethign right. I'm more excited about this guy than I was about the kid from Florida that we were talking about a few weeks ago. He managed to work his way out of the rotation at FLA, and that means either lack of talent, or poor attitude.

dc_x
05-19-2009, 12:01 PM
To compare as freshman (also comparing to Duncan as a freshman):

Doellman - 25 mpg, 7.3 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 1.7 apg
Duncan - 14 mpg, 6.2 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 0.7 apg
O'Brien - 35 mpg, 12.5 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 0.8 apg

Doellman - 42.5% from 3, 43% overall, 49% of FG attempts were 3s
Duncan - 38.6% from 3, 45% overall, 63% of FG attemots were 3s
O'Brien - 36.5% from 3, 41% overall, 54% of FG attempts were 3s

on a per 40 minutes basis:
Doellman - 12 ppg, 6 rpg
Duncan - 17 ppg, 6.5 rpg
O'Brien - 14 ppg, 5 rpg

Obviously, Duncan and Doellman faced tougher competition in the A10. O'Brien's lower FG% is probably due to being less of a role player than Duncan and Doellman - both of those guys only shot when they were wide open as freshman.

Cincy Muskie
05-20-2009, 03:11 PM
Any updates on how his visit went? My understanding is Jamal O. was on campus as well the last two days.

sirthought
05-20-2009, 03:40 PM
Uh, Derrick Brown was listed as 6:7, 207 as a freshman at XU and was also listed as a Power Forward. DBrown is still listed as a Power Forward, but shoots the 3 and isn't as comfortable down low as out, although athletic.

Point, D is not the prototypical PF, now, and certainly was not as a frosh.
Is this supposed to make me feel better about O'Brien as a prospect?
It doesn't. (Unless they can turn him in D Brown, but that doesn't sound likely. Brown is much stronger inside than outside, at least for now.)

I appreciate DC_X and MHettel doing some analysis. That provides a bit clearer picture. I know it's important to have long range shooters who can spread the floor, but I hope Coach Mack isn't looking for that from big men regularly to butter our bread. I'd rather have guys like CJ who will do anything it takes to beat you inside and get to the foul line. And then have that at about 6'8 and 240 lbs.

Looking at the two, I'm much higher on Donnie Hale.

XU99deuce
05-20-2009, 06:51 PM
Is this supposed to make me feel better about O'Brien as a prospect?
It doesn't. (Unless they can turn him in D Brown, but that doesn't sound likely. Brown is much stronger inside than outside, at least for now.)

I appreciate DC_X and MHettel doing some analysis. That provides a bit clearer picture. I know it's important to have long range shooters who can spread the floor, but I hope Coach Mack isn't looking for that from big men regularly to butter our bread. I'd rather have guys like CJ who will do anything it takes to beat you inside and get to the foul line. And then have that at about 6'8 and 240 lbs.

Looking at the two, I'm much higher on Donnie Hale.

Have you seen either one of them play?

AviatorX
05-20-2009, 06:54 PM
I'd say the two are similar but there is the fact that O'Brien has proved himself at the D1 level, on that same note, however, Hale would have an additional year of eligibility and XU is after several others on his AAU team. I'll be happy with either.

xufan02
05-20-2009, 07:32 PM
Donnie is much more athletic, has a longer wing span, and is a better defender than O'Brien right now. However, O'Brien is a much better shooter at this point, and is proven at the mid-major level against D1 competition. I think Donnie has more upside, so I would go with him if I had a gun to my head. Either one would be a good get.

Run49er
06-11-2009, 02:57 PM
Had a change of heart...

Boston.com: O'Brien says he's staying at BU (http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/mens_basketball/articles/2009/06/11/obrien_says_hes_staying_at_bu/)

bobbiemcgee
06-11-2009, 04:30 PM

I'm sure he's worth a look, but somehow I don't have a good feeling about it.
The good news is that he'd have a full year to eat all the Skyline and LaRosa's he wants, beef up, all while learning Coach Mack's system.

After a run @ Skyline, Busken, La Rosa's and Dana's, he'll be fine.

AviatorX
06-11-2009, 04:33 PM
After a run @ Skyline, Busken, La Rosa's and Dana's, he'll be fine.

He better hope those establishments expand into the Boston area then.