PDA

View Full Version : TPC Week

xudash
05-06-2009, 07:52 PM
The week of the TPC continues to become increasingly big, fun and interesting.

There is the "on cue" discussion of the TPC as the 5th Major. There are those that argue that the TPC is its own thing: largest purse in golf, a course that has been polished into one of the world's finest tests of golf, the most competitive field in golf, etc.

And then there is today. I'm at my club - Timuquana - to drop my clubs off for re-gripping and I look over to the course to find Phil Mickleson riding in a golf cart with Tim Tebow followed by the balance of their foursome, one of whom I was told was Phil's agent and another TCC Member.

As I've noted before, Tebow's family are members at TCC, and seeing him there in the late spring and early summer is no surprise. But allow me to assure you that Phil doesn't drop in too much.

Great athletes hang with great athletes I guess.

Fred Garvin
05-06-2009, 11:17 PM
He also hangs with fellow Gator Chris Dimarco.

Fred Garvin
05-06-2009, 11:18 PM
Of course Tebow spends the rest of his time nailing Erin Andrews. Bastard.

joe titan
05-07-2009, 07:46 AM
it is well known Phil often/always plays & practices at alternative courses especially during more important events; he is golf's version of John Thompson. So Phil asks around for a good course where he can relax while sharpening his game; he learns of TCC and the pro/mgr there are alerted to expect Phil's group. In turn they ask if Phil would hang w/Tebow who is announced as Phil's biggest fan. Afew weeks from now, I say you can find Phil @ Tartan Fields

xudash
05-07-2009, 09:57 AM
it is well known Phil often/always plays & practices at alternative courses especially during more important events; he is golf's version of John Thompson. So Phil asks around for a good course where he can relax while sharpening his game; he learns of TCC and the pro/mgr there are alerted to expect Phil's group. In turn they ask if Phil would hang w/Tebow who is announced as Phil's biggest fan. Afew weeks from now, I say you can find Phil @ Tartan Fields

Judging from Tartan Fields' website, I wouldn't mind playing there myself. It must be especially beautiful in the fall. And now that you brought it up, I've never been to Muirfield. Every year when I watch that tournament I come away thinking that it is just as beautiful as Augusta.

Fred Garvin
05-07-2009, 12:11 PM
Anybody catch Goydos yesterday at the presser?

I can't watch the TPC without seeing Len Mattiace's meltdown.

xudash
05-07-2009, 12:55 PM
Anybody catch Goydos yesterday at the presser?

I can't watch the TPC without seeing Len Mattiace's meltdown.

Goydos is pure class.

They replayed Mattiace's meltdown on the Golf Channel last night. The whole thing was tragic, especially with his mother watching from a wheel chair with cancer.

Nigel Tufnel
05-07-2009, 01:58 PM
Judging from Tartan Fields' website, I wouldn't mind playing there myself. It must be especially beautiful in the fall. And now that you brought it up, I've never been to Muirfield. Every year when I watch that tournament I come away thinking that it is just as beautiful as Augusta.

I played Tartan Fields....its nice, very nice.....but I wouldn't say its any better than Shaker Run.

XUglow
05-07-2009, 02:39 PM
I almost went to the TPC this year. I have access to a place south of J'ville about 8 miles north of the course. I just started thinking about it a bit late to pull everything together. I have never done the TPC, and I would love to watch 17 (in high wind) in person, if nothing else.

Other PGA related info...

I will be pro-am'ing at the St. Jude's again this year. The tourney has been the Stanford for the past few years, but that dude has really messed things up with his alleged Ponzi scheme. "Sir" Stanford purchased a fabulous Nicklaus course east of Memphis (Spring Creek Ranch) with plans to move the tournament from Southwind by 2010 or 2011, and I am pretty sure that won't be happening. FedEx dropped the sponsorship in Memphis to pick up the Cup sponsorship, and they have told me that they can't really do both. At the same time, they aren't going to let a tourney in their back yard fail either. If you skull a sand shot on #5, you could knock it into the FedEx Corp. parking lot.

Edit: I just got moved from the Wednesday Pro-am to the Danny Thomas Celebrity Pro-Am on Monday. Crap. They really load you up with goodies for the Wednesday event... Monday... not so much. Celebrities? Juan Pablo Montoya and Mia Hamm were the big names from last year. I will probably get whats-his-name that does the sports on channel something-or-other as my celeb.

xudash
05-07-2009, 04:06 PM
I almost went to the TPC this year. I have access to a place south of J'ville about 8 miles north of the course. I just started thinking about it a bit late to pull everything together. I have never done the TPC, and I would love to watch 17 (in high wind) in person, if nothing else.

Other PGA related info...

I will be pro-am'ing at the St. Jude's again this year. The tourney has been the Stanford for the past few years, but that dude has really messed things up with his alleged Ponzi scheme. "Sir" Stanford purchased a fabulous Nicklaus course east of Memphis (Spring Creek Ranch) with plans to move the tournament from Southwind by 2010 or 2011, and I am pretty sure that won't be happening. FedEx dropped the sponsorship in Memphis to pick up the Cup sponsorship, and they have told me that they can't really do both. At the same time, they aren't going to let a tourney in their back yard fail either. If you skull a sand shot on #5, you could knock it into the FedEx Corp. parking lot.

Edit: I just got moved from the Wednesday Pro-am to the Danny Thomas Celebrity Pro-Am on Monday. Crap. They really load you up with goodies for the Wednesday event... Monday... not so much. Celebrities? Juan Pablo Montoya and Mia Hamm were the big names from last year. I will probably get whats-his-name that does the sports on channel something-or-other as my celeb.

Keep working at it glow. I'm sure you'll smooze your way back into the Wednesday circuit.

Let me know if you ever do come over for the TPC. We'll show you a little Southern Hospitality along the way. That Stanford guy is a real jackhole. I hope they get things worked out for the tournament. It certainly is for a great cause.

Masterofreality
05-07-2009, 04:18 PM
Nice Dash,

This is your week, buddy. The boys are in town.

Have fun.

xudash
05-07-2009, 10:18 PM
Nice Dash,

This is your week, buddy. The boys are in town.

Have fun.

Thanks MOR. You know you have an open invitation to come down anytime and kick my ass on the home course.

I had Doug Steiner and the team down a few years ago to warm up before a tournament they hosted south of here.

If I get Doug to bring the team back through the 'ville next season, I'll post it here. I know it's nothing most folks would build a trip around, but anyone who wants to come down, or is close, or is down for another reason will at least be invited and know that it is going on.

XUglow
05-08-2009, 08:00 AM
Hey Sergio, don't listen to those guys on TV. If you want to toss a mini-fit, go ahead and do it. I know how you feel. I was finally getting my game back together and putting together some good numbers, and I go out for 9 yesterday after work, and the iron shots go fat, thin, slightly fat, thin, really fat, really fat, good, thin, shank, and thin. What in the heck happened? I was angry and frustrated at the end of the round, and I only do this for "fun". Golf is your job. OK, so there is an audience watching you, but guess what, most of them think you are an insufferable little prick anyway, so don't let them bother you. Want to slam your tee in the ground? Do it. Want to tear up a flower bed? Yeah, might want to pass on that one, but you get my point. Be yourself when you feel angry. I know that I am. It helps me leave it there.

Our club had a nice little mixer for potential new members when I got in. Jazz group is playing outside, weather is fab, wine is free, good food, Miss Muskie looks smokin'. Bad iron shots? What irons are those? Golf irons? Oh those... there is always tomorrow.

Masterofreality
05-08-2009, 08:10 AM
Thanks MOR. You know you have an open invitation to come down anytime and kick my ass on the home course.

I had Doug Steiner and the team down a few years ago to warm up before a tournament they hosted south of here.

If I get Doug to bring the team back through the 'ville next season, I'll post it here. I know it's nothing most folks would build a trip around, but anyone who wants to come down, or is close, or is down for another reason will at least be invited and know that it is going on.

Bro, I'm there. Let me know what goes on, if by nothing else a PM.

Doug and I communicate via e-mail. He and I were talking at the AFO Outing last year and I've been helping him build a data base of past XU golf rosters. If they have a tournament down there, or if I'm down there on business in the meantime, I'll let you know.

They've got a couple of real players in the young group on that squad. Sebastian will be the best player since Jason Kokrak. As good as Jason is, though, it just shows how tough it is to make the show, and, if you do make it, making an ultimate living.

Masterofreality
05-08-2009, 08:15 AM
Hey Sergio, don't listen to those guys on TV. If you want to toss a mini-fit, go ahead and do it. I know how you feel. I was finally getting my game back together and putting together some good numbers, and I go out for 9 yesterday after work, and the iron shots go fat, thin, slightly fat, thin, really fat, really fat, good, thin, shank, and thin. What in the heck happened? I was angry and frustrated at the end of the round, and I only do this for "fun". Golf is your job. OK, so there is an audience watching you, but guess what, most of them think you are an insufferable little prick anyway, so don't let them bother you. Want to slam your tee in the ground? Do it. Want to tear up a flower bed? Yeah, might want to pass on that one, but you get my point. Be yourself when you feel angry. I know that I am. It helps me leave it there.

Our club had a nice little mixer for potential new members when I got in. Jazz group is playing outside, weather is fab, wine is free, good food, Miss Muskie looks smokin'. Bad iron shots? What irons are those? Golf irons? Oh those... there is always tomorrow.

Sam Snead told stories about how Tommy Bolt used to "beat the branches off of bushes with his clubs" after hitting a bad shot. Guys are too buttoned up today with not enough personality. I know that you don't want guys tossing clubs around, but Tiger lets his anger show sometimes.

As for Sergio. Just go ahead and spit in more cups after you hole out, Serge. That's something that your playing partners really appreciate. Punk.

GoMuskies
05-08-2009, 08:58 AM
My brother called me yesterday from "work". He's a sportswriter in St. Augustine, so he was over at Sawgrass covering the tournament. I felt really bad for him.

XUglow
05-08-2009, 09:21 AM
My brother called me yesterday from "work". He's a sportswriter in St. Augustine, so he was over at Sawgrass covering the tournament. I felt really bad for him.

I can imagine the stress he must be under...

xudash
05-08-2009, 09:34 AM

Ask your brother if he ever drinks at the Tradewinds.

MOR, does Sergio really do that - spit in the cup!?

xudash
05-08-2009, 09:36 AM
We interrupt this thread to once again declare glow my idol.

All hail (your wife)!

Masterofreality
05-08-2009, 12:01 PM
MOR, does Sergio really do that - spit in the cup!?

Yep. He did in a tournament and got called on it in the post round press conference. His response:

"I didn't really spit in it, I ......just...... let it go down.....anyway, no big deal."

Uh, yeah, it really is a big deal. Every golfer looks to have schnot all over their golf ball when they pull it out of the cup.

Masterofreality
05-10-2009, 03:48 PM
Should we start calling Cjeka "Choke-a"?

A 42 on the front nine after having a 5 shot lead. That is the textbook choke.

xudash
05-10-2009, 07:36 PM
Should we start calling Cjeka "Choke-a"?

A 42 on the front nine after having a 5 shot lead. That is the textbook choke.

MOR, he was quoted in the local paper here yesterday, discussing his Friday round. He noted that it was like a Monday practice round for him, in terms of fans following him, since they were all ahead of him, following Tiger.

So look what happens: final round, and paired with Tiger Woods. Heat lamp central.

I was pulling for him because I enjoyed reading about his personal story about escaping communist Checkoslovakia with his father at the age of 9.

As for Stenson, you would know better than I about getting into a zone and just finishing off a round with authority. The birdie on 15 virtually sealed it, and the birdie on 16 did seal it. But to come in with the confidence he had, taking care of 17 and 18, and thereby finishing with a bogie free round was impressive.

Not a bad payday either.