PDA

View Full Version : XU in the mix for Florida transfer - Allan Chaney???

LutherRackleyRulez
04-29-2009, 08:09 PM
Per Adam Zagoria/ZagsBlog...

“He hasn’t taken any visits yet,” said Chaney’s travel team coach, Calvin Bunkley. “I think he’s going to St. Joe’s tomorrow [Thursday]. In the following two weeks he’s going to visit Virginia Tech, Temple and Providence. I think he’s choosing between Xavier, Seton Hall or Rutgers for his final visit.”

http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/04/29/thomas-taking-visits-mcgill-to-iona-chaney-planning-visits/#more-15876

Allan Chaney is 6'8, 230 lbs forward from Baltimore, MD....
gotta figure that Bino is recruiting this kid given his Baltimore connections.

Here's Chaney's frosh stat page @ UofF.....

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=41323

Espe
04-29-2009, 08:20 PM
I like our chances of landing him.

gladdenguy
04-29-2009, 08:22 PM
I like our chances of landing him.

Come on. don't do that to me. You at least have to tell me why...please

XU 87
04-29-2009, 08:23 PM
Come on. don't do that to me. You at least have to tell me why...please

Because Snow says so.

xufan02
04-29-2009, 08:48 PM
This kid will be a face-up four man in the Brandon Costner (former NC State player) mold. If we land him you can forget about either Alex Guana or Donnie Hale.

Xavier is looking to add a face-up PF, a player in the pivot PF/C, a SF, and then the best available for the fourth spot in the 2010 class.

AviatorX
04-29-2009, 08:50 PM
This kid will be a face-up four man in the Brandon Costner (former NC State player) mold. If we land him you can forget about either Alex Guana or Donnie Hale.

Definitely fine with me, although adding Chaney does not necessarily completely eliminate these two. Chaney seems to have a better D1 build, just my opinion.

gladdenguy
04-29-2009, 09:09 PM
Because Snow says so.

Gotcha. Do we want him?

XU 87
04-29-2009, 09:17 PM
Yes, he was a Rivals top 100 who received offers from a bunch of major programs (IU, Gtown, Pitt, BC). I checked his stats from last year- he was playing double digit minutes at the start of the season, single digit minutes in the middle, and didn't play at all towards the end.

kyxu
04-29-2009, 09:18 PM
Gotcha. Do we want him?

If he wanted to come to Xavier, Mack would not say "no".

As mentioned previously, he's a face-up four with very good skill. I think he and Donovan had some problems at Florida. Billy suspended him for some "unspecified" reason for the latter third of the year: http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/palmbeach/ufblog/entries/2009/03/20/freshman_allan_chaney_suspende.html?cxntfid=blogs_ inside_uf

He was a four-star in 2008 class, rated #96 overall by rivals. I really don't know too much about him. I think he averaged like four points per game for the Gators his freshman season, but that doesn't mean he couldn't have a solid career somewhere else.

Juice
04-29-2009, 09:55 PM
What the hell is the deal down at Florida? It seems like kids can't wait to leave that place either to the NBA or trying to transfer.

LA Muskie
04-29-2009, 10:20 PM
Because Snow says so.
How can anyone be confident that we'll get him when the story states that we're not even a guaranteed visit but rather one of 3 teams in the hunt for his last visit. The confidence seems fishy to me...

kyxu
04-29-2009, 10:26 PM
How can anyone be confident that we'll get him when the story states that we're not even a guaranteed visit but rather one of 3 teams in the hunt for his last visit. The confidence seems fishy to me...

Not all sources are created equal, I suppose.

LA Muskie
04-29-2009, 11:12 PM
Not all sources are created equal, I suppose.
No doubt that's true, but the article quotes the kid's coach...

MHettel
04-29-2009, 11:27 PM
Stats dont indicate a very productive player. poor shooting for a face up forward, poor Ft shooting, decent oboards, decent steals, no blocks to speak of.

a TO every 12 minutes, and lots of fouls.

Certainly not McLean numbers as a freshman, but also not at Tulsa....

DC Muskie
04-30-2009, 06:27 AM

Well the coach doesn't seem to be very knowledgable about what visits he is taking. He uses the phrase "I think" a lot.

kyxu
04-30-2009, 07:45 AM

It's actually his traveling coach, who likely doesn't have a handle on what a former player is doing.

DC is correct, as well.

LA Muskie
04-30-2009, 11:41 AM
It's actually his traveling coach, who likely doesn't have a handle on what a former player is doing.

DC is correct, as well.
Well, one of the "thinks" was St. Joe's today. I guess we'll see how much he knows. I just think we tend to believe all favorable reporting and discount all unfavorable reporting around here. I don't know what the kid's situation is, but if the report is accurate (admittedly a big *if*) we would have to be a dark horse at best.

kyxu
04-30-2009, 11:59 AM
Well, one of the "thinks" was St. Joe's today. I guess we'll see how much he knows. I just think we tend to believe all favorable reporting and discount all unfavorable reporting around here. I don't know what the kid's situation is, but if the report is accurate (admittedly a big *if*) we would have to be a dark horse at best.

All some of us are saying is that there are apparently sources from people closer to the situation that say otherwise. That's it.

xnatic03
04-30-2009, 02:03 PM
Sorry if this has been posted, but I believe this kid has ties to Bino, so that is why I think Xavier is considered a strong candidate to land him. I belive the kid is from Baltimore.

The Artist
04-30-2009, 02:08 PM

To put it more bluntly than others, Snow on rivals is saying otherwise.

xnatic03
04-30-2009, 02:11 PM

I used to subscribe over there, and I know Snow's information to be very reliable. He knows his stuff, and he seems to be good at getting into the good graces of people in the know as well as potential recruits.

kyxu
04-30-2009, 02:30 PM

But of course Snow's not the source, merely the conduit.

dto
04-30-2009, 09:50 PM
It should be noted that according to Rivals, Chaney is a Baltimore kid who Ranson recruited to Marist:

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=66602&sport=2

Because he mentioned Xavier, with this new connection, and in light of Parrom leaving, I think there may be an even better chance that we land Chaney as the final piece.

Anyone know about eligibility with him if he was injured for half of the SEC season and suspended for the end of the year? Would the NCAA grant a transfer waiver in this circumstance? Chaney would make a great addition, particularly if Brown is gone.

AviatorX
04-30-2009, 09:55 PM
I'd imagine that there is virtually no chance of Chaney being eligible for the 2009-10 season, but I could be wrong.

kyxu
04-30-2009, 10:05 PM
I would assume Chaney would have three years of eligibility, beginning in 2010-11.

Juice
05-05-2009, 12:29 PM
Update on Chaney:

Florida transfer Allan Chaney of Baltimore will visit Temple today (Tuesday) and Virginia Tech Friday, according to his travel team coach, Calvin Bunkley.

Chaney visited St. Joe’s last Thursday and enjoyed it, Bunkley said.

Chaney then plans to visit Providence, potentially next week, and Xavier.

He could potentially take a visits to Rutgers and/or Seton Hall. Prospects are allowed five officials, so one would have to be unofficial.

“At some point,” Chaney said in a text. “I don’t have the dates.”

Speaking of Seton Hall, former coaches Bill Raftery and P.J. Carlesimo will receive honorary degrees from the university on May 11 at the Izod Center.

So it looks like he is taking a visit to Xavier, which is good news. In my opinion, X should be his top choice considering his list includes lesser A-10 teams and mediocre/low level Big East teams.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/05/05/chaney-visiting-two-this-week/

MHettel
05-05-2009, 12:53 PM
Maybe we should be concerned about that list. He didnt play much at all in the second half of the season last year, and his numbers in the first half were OK at abest.

AviatorX
05-05-2009, 01:38 PM
Maybe we should be concerned about that list. He didnt play much at all in the second half of the season last year, and his numbers in the first half were OK at abest.

He was a freshman adjusting to big time college basketball.

Espe
05-05-2009, 01:41 PM
I am still upset that we took CJ from Manhattan.

We are talking about Manhattan, not Syracuse.

Runningman
05-05-2009, 10:13 PM
I don't think anyone should get their hopes up considering Providence was real close to signing this kid out of Connecticut. Looks like this will be a methodical visit for Chaney.

"Providence is really interested. My dad spoke with Coach (Pat) Skerry and I'm definitely interested in talking with Keno Davis," Chaney said. Chaney added that Providence and Virginia Tech ``are my top two right now."

http://providencericity.blogspot.com/2009/04/floridas-allan-chaney-might-transfer-to.html

MHettel
05-05-2009, 10:20 PM
CJ was mopping up at Manhattan

AviatorX
05-05-2009, 10:24 PM
I don't think anyone should get their hopes up considering Providence was real close to signing this kid out of Connecticut. Looks like this will be a methodical visit for Chaney.

"Providence is really interested. My dad spoke with Coach (Pat) Skerry and I'm definitely interested in talking with Keno Davis," Chaney said. Chaney added that Providence and Virginia Tech ``are my top two right now."

http://providencericity.blogspot.com/2009/04/floridas-allan-chaney-might-transfer-to.html

I highly doubt he would take a visit to a small school in Cincinnati for the "hell of it" if he wasn't seriously considering X. Really, if he was just milking his visits, why the hell would he come here, especially if his "favorites" are so clear cut?

Don't underestimate the Bino connection to B-more.

Runningman
05-06-2009, 09:30 AM
I highly doubt he would take a visit to a small school in Cincinnati for the "hell of it" if he wasn't seriously considering X. Really, if he was just milking his visits, why the hell would he come here, especially if his "favorites" are so clear cut?

Look, I believe he is considering X and I like to think we have a chance at getting this kid. Obviously Xavier is a better program than both of his top two schools but kids visit better programs without "serious interest" all the time, it sometimes comes down to their sole preference. They take these visits because a) Out of respect for the school/coach recruiting them b) Because someone close advised them to do so c) Attain a benchmark, it really is not about milking visits in anyway. I like to think we are a top contender for Chaney but it just does not look that way.

XUfaninJAX
05-06-2009, 09:40 AM
If Providence is on the list we don't stand a chance, that's where God played.... God Shamgod that is

DC Muskie
05-06-2009, 10:22 AM

I just think this bears repeating...

Xman95
05-06-2009, 11:37 AM
While it would be nice to add a player with experience and three years of eligibility remaining, I'm not too concerned if Chaney doesn't come here.

Here's my thinking...if Chaney does commit, it creates more of an issue for someone like Latham (a guy I believe Bino can still get to consider X) or A. Payne. Having a Soph.-eligibility PF in front of you isn't really much of an incentive to go to that program. With only a Sr. McLean in front of them, there appears to be more opportunity.

Ok, just my way of seeing the glass half-full.

XU 87
05-06-2009, 11:43 AM
I am still upset that we took CJ from Manhattan.

We are talking about Manhattan, not Syracuse.

True. All CJ did was start for two years on teams that won 5 NCAA games.

DC Muskie
05-06-2009, 12:53 PM
While it would be nice to add a player with experience and three years of eligibility remaining, I'm not too concerned if Chaney doesn't come here.

Here's my thinking...if Chaney does commit, it creates more of an issue for someone like Latham (a guy I believe Bino can still get to consider X) or A. Payne. Having a Soph.-eligibility PF in front of you isn't really much of an incentive to go to that program. With only a Sr. McLean in front of them, there appears to be more opportunity.

Ok, just my way of seeing the glass half-full.

I could be wrong, but I think kids think they can play with whomever and get their time. And specifically on our team, you are going to have a hard time getting on the court anyway. So players want to improve and not have things handed to them is what I'm trying to say.

bobbiemcgee
05-06-2009, 03:52 PM
He should have known that b4 recruiting them.

danaandvictory
05-06-2009, 03:54 PM
Billy Donovan is a real discliplinarian and intense ,sometimes these kids can't cut the mustard

I remember a guy who had a similar experience at Evansville and transferred out...

AviatorX
05-06-2009, 03:54 PM
I could be wrong, but I think kids think they can play with whomever and get their time. And specifically on our team, you are going to have a hard time getting on the court anyway. So players want to improve and not have things handed to them is what I'm trying to say.

Per usual, I tend to agree with DC.

Xman95
05-06-2009, 04:39 PM
Per usual, I tend to agree with DC.

Then why has it been brought up that, in addition to Miller, Arizona would be attractive to guys like Kyryl and Parrom because they'll play right away? Hey, I'm sure some guys don't care who is in front of them. But chances are good that many, if not most, will avoid a situation if there's a talented player already there and that person will be there for another three. Kids want to play and will go places where they think the PT is available.

If Chaney is at X, imagine being Bino or Mack and telling Latham he should still come play for you. "Sure, Jordan, we realize we have a PF that we really like and who should start for us for the next three years. That's ok, though. If you stick for four years, you'll have a chance to be our starting PF as a senior. And we'll get you a solid 10-15 minutes per game as a Fresh., Soph. and Jr."

AviatorX
05-06-2009, 05:35 PM
Then why has it been brought up that, in addition to Miller, Arizona would be attractive to guys like Kyryl and Parrom because they'll play right away? Hey, I'm sure some guys don't care who is in front of them. But chances are good that many, if not most, will avoid a situation if there's a talented player already there and that person will be there for another three. Kids want to play and will go places where they think the PT is available.

If Chaney is at X, imagine being Bino or Mack and telling Latham he should still come play for you. "Sure, Jordan, we realize we have a PF that we really like and who should start for us for the next three years. That's ok, though. If you stick for four years, you'll have a chance to be our starting PF as a senior. And we'll get you a solid 10-15 minutes per game as a Fresh., Soph. and Jr."

That simply isn't the situation that would be present. Chaney is more of a face up player, although I'm not sure of this (I don't think anyone has actually seen Latham), judging by his size, I'd think he's more of a traditional post player.

If you haven't noticed, the top recruits EVERY YEAR, including both one and dones and 4 year players go to the same schools, knowing they will have to fight for PT. We can't take a stance of not taking a player that wants to come here just so we can offer more playing time to a future potential recruit.

Xman95
05-06-2009, 07:36 PM
That simply isn't the situation that would be present. Chaney is more of a face up player, although I'm not sure of this (I don't think anyone has actually seen Latham), judging by his size, I'd think he's more of a traditional post player.

If you haven't noticed, the top recruits EVERY YEAR, including both one and dones and 4 year players go to the same schools, knowing they will have to fight for PT. We can't take a stance of not taking a player that wants to come here just so we can offer more playing time to a future potential recruit.

I don't recall saying we shouldn't take a chance on Chaney if he wants to come to Xavier. If it came across that way, I apologize. My point was that, if he doesn't decide to play for X, I wouldn't be too concerned about it because it makes the situation more attractive for someone like Latham. I'm not quite sure how anyone can argue with that.

AviatorX
05-06-2009, 07:57 PM
I don't recall saying we shouldn't take a chance on Chaney if he wants to come to Xavier. If it came across that way, I apologize. My point was that, if he doesn't decide to play for X, I wouldn't be too concerned about it because it makes the situation more attractive for someone like Latham. I'm not quite sure how anyone can argue with that.

I agree with you. But having both is the optimal situation. I just think we can't worry about recruiting over someone who isn't even committed at this point.

Xman95
05-07-2009, 09:12 AM
I agree with you. But having both is the optimal situation. I just think we can't worry about recruiting over someone who isn't even committed at this point.

I agree with you as well. Apparently our thoughts were the same, but wording was our downfall! Anyway, we're on the same page now.

LutherRackleyRulez
05-07-2009, 11:19 AM
Per Adam Zagoria/ZagsBlog...

Providence is no longer in the running for former Florida forward Allan Chaney. The Friars are holding the ship for 2010. Chaney has visited St. Joe’s and Temple and will go to Virginia Tech Friday and Xavier at a later date. He may still visit Rutgers and/or Seton Hall.

X Factor
05-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Found this video of Chaney on youtube. Keep in mind this was two years ago as a senior in HS. He definitely has some good moves and a nice touch.

Allan Chaney (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-gKtFyCRq4)

xavierj
05-08-2009, 01:08 PM
I would be willing to bet he ends up at Xavier.

SixFig
05-08-2009, 02:43 PM
Found this video of Chaney on youtube. Keep in mind this was two years ago as a senior in HS. He definitely has some good moves and a nice touch.

Allan Chaney (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-gKtFyCRq4)

Nice video but the in the first game it looks like he was going up against Jimmie Binnie II. I haven't seen that much rejection since...well...Jimmie Binne I.

ChrisFarley
05-08-2009, 04:01 PM
You guys ought to watch on www.youtube.com Andy Mac's Legendary Crosstown Shootout Call...type it exactly as it's spelled here..

xufan02
05-09-2009, 11:58 AM
I think we are in a great position to land Chaney. Chaney is not your traditional PF, but a face-up, off the dribble shooter with skill. Latham is your tradition pivot. I would not be suprised if Latham plays the Center position if he came to Xavier. At this point his game is like that of JuJuan Johnson of Purdue's when he was in high school. He would be a good player to compliment Kenny at the Center spot. Chaney would give us another deep threat at the four spot ala Duncan, Doellman, and Brown.

LutherRackleyRulez
05-10-2009, 08:41 AM
Info posted Saturday, May 9th

by Adam Zagoria/ZagsBlog

CHANEY TO VISIT XAVIER
On the Allan Chaney front, the former Florida forward continues to take visits.

“He liked Temple,” his travel coach Calvin Bunkley said. “He’s at Virginia Tech right now [Saturday] and is definitely visiting Xavier.”

Bunkley said it was “up in the air” whether Chaney would visit Rutgers or Seton Hall.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/05/09/moore-to-hofstra-chaney-to-visit-xavier-all-quiet-on-the-wall-front/#more-16378

BlueX
05-11-2009, 11:16 AM
Chaney to Va Tech per zagsblog.

xufan02
05-11-2009, 11:25 AM
You win some and you lose some.

boozehound
05-11-2009, 11:59 AM
VA Tech? Really?

xunorm
05-11-2009, 12:10 PM
going from one NIT team to another, oh well, I was never too high on the guy anyways. Let's get someone else to start the signing train.